IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

Add another to the cancelled list.

My 14 year old self is calling me all sorts at the moment but my current self is thinking its a hell of a lot of money for a peripheral in the run up to Christmas and there is nothing standout being shown. Lots of cool looking "experience s" but not enough to put down £350.

38 minutes ago, SeanR said:

plus the original cost of the PS4 and the camera, and the move controllers.

or something.

I'm pretty sure everyone in this conversation already has the PS4. And my range was for those who lack the camera. And you don't need the moves for most games.

or something.

9 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I'm pretty sure everyone in this conversation already has the PS4. And my range was for those who lack the camera. And you don't need the moves for most games.

or something.

tumblr_mmligwRJK71rcr5azo1_500.jpg

"did they get their PS4s for free?"

which-film-characters-are-the-25-biggest

"I SAID DID. THEY. GET. THEIR. PS4s. FOR. FREE!?!"

So the thing is Sean, that you amortise the cost of the console across the games that you play on it. So it doesn't cost the whole price of the console plus the price of the headset etc to play a vr game unless you only ever play one game on it. But you already knew that, unless you really are incredibly dense. 

4 hours ago, sir shrew said:

I hate the idea of stumping up £400 on technology which is compromised without an additional £400 investment. 

Sony should be showcasing VR as a generational leap and making it as easy and straightforward as possible to get players on-board. They need to be going all-in and exciting people, but they're not and I don't think PSVR has any mainstream awareness four weeks ahead of release. Sony are launching both VR and Pro within a month of each other without anywhere near the buzz of PS4. 4K or VR? Where do they want their consumer base to go? 

They've got two hardware launches which should both be treated as full console launches and at the moment neither of them are being. 

It makes me feel like they're not fully committed to either. They can afford to be that way with the Pro to some extent but PS VR is another story. Wonder if corporate are getting cold feet after Vive and Rift failed to set the world alight. 

Yeah, I'm getting a little nervous too with my preorder. While there's enough games already listed to justify a purchase the fact there's been silence and I haven't been able to try one in a store is a little odd. I'm just  back from Hong Kong and Singapore and even the Sony shops that were stacked with PS4's didn't have a single bit of advertising- never mind demo units- anywhere.

I'm hoping TGS changes this but if not I may just cancel my order and wait and see what happens a few months down the line. Pity though- Battlezone and EVE had me more excited than a very excited puppy.

conversely I'm keeping my preorder in case it becomes teh raer!!!!1! How many of us wish we'd got virtuaboys or a vetrex at the time?

seriously though, vr is a hard sell without actually trying it, so maybe they're letting word -of-mouth do all the legwork? You know? Get it out there, sell it to the early adopters, and sit back while they become evangelists for your system?

something like that.

Pfft, this is my birthday present, there's no way I am cancelling.... I've got the wheel and  pedals, I've got the camera and move controllers, can't wait for DriveClub and a few others, can't wait to see what my kids make of it, can't wait to show my brothers. I still believe! :P

I have often wondered if someone at Sony is working some kind of tax or budget scam - they fairly regularly develop new tech and new devices that they completely drop support for the moment they go on sale. PSP-Go, PS Move, PS Vita, now PSVR(?) - all abandoned, with almost no effort put in to making them successful. It makes zero sense, without it being some kind of internal political thing.

PSVR has not been abandoned. E3 press conference had a 15 minute section and 10 games dedicated to it.  The Sony E3 stand had literally 30% of its footprint dedicated to it. 

At Gamescom (what 2 weeks ago) Sony had over 20 demo pods showing I think 10 games. 

Its TGS next week and Sony Europe are known for pushing marketing at about the 3 week out point. Sony had to announce Neo and slim. Now that's done they can focus back on PSVR. It's terrible timing and I'm assuming the marketing and PR teams are having a nightmare managing this all. 

I dont have a crystal ball, I have no idea if it will succeed or fail. But to think Sony have abandoned it before it launches is farcical. The Sony hype train will start again in the next 10 days ;-)

Pretty much what Pete Brant says. Cancel the day (or week) before if you aren't feeling it. I'm not too worried as I think your common gamer isn't going to be interested no matter how great the experience, due to the price point.

Sony probably need to do a lot more advertising just to make the product known to these people, but I'm expecting it to be a niche product line for some time.

As long as there is a steady feed of new games and experiences tacked onto other games for the next couple of years, I'll be happy with my purchase.

conversely I'm keeping my preorder in case it becomes teh raer!!!!1! How many of us wish we'd got virtuaboys or a vetrex at the time?

seriously though, vr is a hard sell without actually trying it, so maybe they're letting word -of-mouth do all the legwork? You know? Get it out there, sell it to the early adopters, and sit back while they become evangelists for your system?

something like that.

If it sells like shit it'll go bargain basement prices first before heading into rare territory. I'll pick it up for teh rare then.

9 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

As long as there is a steady feed of new games and experiences tacked onto other games for the next couple of years, I'll be happy with my purchase.

That's one of main issues for me - aside from the mini games/experiences at launch, what is coming after that. Do they have anything planned or is it going to be drought time?