rllmuk
rubberducker

PlayStation VR

On the gimmicky add-ons to consoles front, I think a VR headset has to trump the kinnect by some way.

Which would you rather have though, a Fisher-Price iPad, a laggy spycam or a low res vomit generator?

• Upvote 7

On the gimmicky add-ons to consoles front, I think a VR headset has to trump the kinnect by some way.

Kinect is a load of shit, but it does have the advantage of not being a shoebox strapped to your face. I'm sure there will be amazing things to play on this and the Rift, but I'm not entirely certain of the mass market appeal when people don't even like wearing lightweight 3D glasses at the cinema.

Aside from all this tech being really fucking cool the term "VR" is pretty stupid isn't it? I mean games are already a form of virtual reality on their own.

These goggles (they do nothing!) are basically just 3DTV's mounted on your eyeballs. Yes they also do headtracking but I do hope some new experiences come out of it.

For example there's a tech demo in which you simply soar through the clouds as a bird. Ultimately I think those types of 'games' will benefit most from this new tech.

Aside from all this tech being really fucking cool the term "VR" is pretty stupid isn't it? I mean games are already a form of virtual reality on their own.

These goggles (they do nothing!) are basically just 3DTV's mounted on your eyeballs. Yes they also do headtracking but I do hope some new experiences come out of it.

For example there's a tech demo in which you simply soar through the clouds as a bird. Ultimately I think those types of 'games' will benefit most from this new tech.

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/abrashblog/Abrash%20Dev%20Days%202014.pdf

The bit that concerns me is that the PS4 isn't all that powerful in the grand scheme of things. Will it be able to realise this? How does this purported prototype compare to Crystal Cove?

A lot of it with 3D at the cinema isn't anything to do with wearing the glasses, it's the perceived cost / benefit of doing so.

If this really does provide a truly immersive and unique experience where you are 'in' the game, that provides a completely different thing to a normal movie that has some added depth and / or shit arbitrarily flying out towards you.

I agree it isn't mainstream in the least but I think if anything it's more to do with the isolation from everyone else (whether as a player, or even in the same room as a player) that is more the issue - it's the epitome of lonely nerd in his darkened computer room if not handled carefully from their part.

Although what with the apparent rendering issues it might have anyway, it would be great if the TV showed some sort of view of the player (in 3rd person perhaps - to save everyone else getting sick while Thicky McGee gets used to it and is flailing his head about all the shop) so that you could actually have a same room way of playing. Just awaiting your turn and not knowing what is happening won't be as cool as if you can at least see something that the player is doing. I know a lot of those Oculus vids have it displaying the view on a monitor as well but I doubt that's likely.

I can still remember when VR was the soon to be in thing back in 1994(?) when it was shown on Bad Influence with Andy Crane and Violet Berlin :blah:

This must be the slowest uptake of any technology to hit the home market. The concept is a little dated now and I'd much rather see what could be done with tech like Hologram projection.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Yeah to some degree I think they are overestimating the (financial) impact of this stuff. I reckon it's going to be a rather niche market. I mean 'simple' 3D gaming on PC as already looks really nice, is also really cheap and can be experienced by multiple people at the same time.

• Upvote 1

I can still remember when VR was the soon to be in thing back in 1994(?) when it was shown on Bad Influence with Andy Crane and Violet Berlin :blah:

This must be the slowest uptake of any technology to hit the home market. The concept is a little dated now and I'd much rather see what could be done with tech like Hologram projection.

slowest uptake of any technology to hit the home market?

thats 3d surely :P

or film for that matter that took ages to hit the home market after being out

by comparison 20 years is quite quick to go from general public display technology to the home.

this is just the start though guys. this tech will get smaller, and more discrete as time progresses.

full immersion will change entertainment. maybe not over night, but look at the popularity of those oculus reactions videos on youtube - this is the start of a sea change.

3D isn't remotely in the same league.

• Upvote 2

VR has been the next big thing several times already, but then again touch was going to the Next Big Thing too ages ago, sometimes an idea just isn't introduced at a technically useful level the first time or even the 2nd or 3rd time:

i1Hms7l.jpg

With VR, you basically want either the holodeck or do it like Gibson.

• Downvote 1

VR has been the next big thing several times already, but then again touch was going to the Next Big Thing too ages ago, sometimes an idea just isn't introduced at a technically useful level the first time or even the 2nd or 3rd time:

So there is still hope for Kinect then?

Yes, processing will get better, sensors will improve, NUI isn't going away as an idea, removing unnecessary barriers between humans and machine interaction is the dream, touch is a step on that road too.

I'm waiting for the direct neural connection personally, no more blaming controller lag :P

As residents of an old folks home all we can hope for then is whatever Nintendo is pimping in OAP lounges...

WiiUneedvitalitysensor

I think I might just go to Dignitas instead ;)

I'm massively excited, as I'd rather it turn out to be great than shit and there is enough pessimism around anyway. Hopefully they will show it off with Driveclub, and some cool demo's and it'll look amazing.

so if its gonna happen this is gonna be announced today!

am i the only one excited? if it happens I think this could be wondefrful...

It could be amazing, I can't imagine anyone who has got a ps4 not be excited at the possibilities. Though reading through this thread makes me worried how good it'll be if 60fps is vital. Could we find the graphics on the ps4 not improve as developers work on making it perform well with the VR instead? I know it's down to cost, but it would have been awesome if Sony had said fuck it and sold it for £500 with much boosted specs.

Anyway, can you imagine the immersion of outlast 2, with this and a good surround sound set up?! Can see it being something I only use when I've the house to myself!

Outlast started life on the PC, even if the Sony variant of the VR idea can't provide the necessary grunt to deliver the visual standard people demand now, there is always the pay more for more option in the eventual consumer release of the Rift, 95fps isn't computationally cheap to achieve, especially at high display resolutions with nice graphics.

This is the only interesting thing about the PS4 currently, for me. If this was Occulus Rift level goodness for PS4, I would actually be tempted to stop playing Star Wars Force Collection on the iPad and buy a next gen console.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As a Rift owner I'm incredibly excited to see what they have, nothing like a bit of healthy competition. Just curious, everyone who is describing this and the Rift as very 'niche', have you spent any serious amount of time with the Rift? I've seen VR come and go before, but I think comparisons to 3D etc are missing the point somewhat. Even in it's current form most people I've shown the Rift to can see how mainstream VR devices could become. I'm not expecting them to replace a TV or monitor, but also I don't think they will simply be used by nerds in a bedroom. Apart from games, in terms of education or just entertainment / relaxation devices then I think the potential is vast and really will be a game changer in lots of ways. The current tech isn't perfect, but the release build of the Rift will be significantly better and they have already tackled a huge amount of issues in terms of motion sickness, scale, positional tracking etc in such a short time. As a Rift owner I'm so excited about what the future can and I believe will bring....be very interested to see how the Sony take on this compares.

• Upvote 2

I'm buying one of these without a shadow of a doubt. I love a bit of VR nonsense, it's great, we had two of those VFX1 headsets with Dark Forces and the Quake Beta and all that, was quality fun even with the old 2D bitmap sprites 'cheat' of 3D games of yore.

i'd love to be a fly on the wall in Redmond Xbox HQ at the moment.

Xbox One VR headset rumoured, as PS4 reveal expected tonight
Tuesday 18 Mar 2014 12:41 pm
d0151584_2320198.jpgIs tonight the night for Sony’s VR headset?

According to new rumours Microsoft is working on multiple ‘virtual reality devices’ for the Xbox One, as anticipation mounts for the PS4 headset.

Sony is widely expected to unveil their answer to Oculus Rift tonight, at the Games Developer Conference (GDC) in San Francisco.

The VR headset has been rumoured for years and is described by Edge sources as ‘far superior’ to the initial prototype of Oculus Rift and comparable to the newer Crystal Cove devkit.

There seems little question that Sony is working on a headset, but although tonight looks likely for a reveal its debut was already postponed twice last year.

Rumours regarding an equivalent for the Xbox One have always focused on AR goggles similar to Google Glass, but according to The Wall Street Journal Microsoft also has a second project that is closer in nature to Sony’s headset.

Or maybe not, even the newspaper report itself seems confused, although at one point it does claim that the second project is being developed in parallel with Fortaleza – the codename for the Google Glass style device.

The confusion seems to hinge on the fact that both projects involve augmented reality, but that can be done in a number of ways – including via a more traditional virtual reality headset.

What isn’t rumoured is when Microsoft might unveil any of this, and it sounds very much like they’re experimenting with multiple ideas while they try to narrow things down to just one headset.

Or maybe they’ll release multiple devices and just confuse the hell out of customers, which to be honest is often the way video games industry tends to do things.

If this is as good technically as the Rift's commercial release - and they don't have to nerf the image quality too much on PS4 to achieve the fabled "presence" - then I will buy it no matter the cost. Even if I have to SLI two PS4s to get the desired power!

• Upvote 1