PlayStation VR

rubberducker

11 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Anyone coming to EGX this September? :)

I'll be attending Saturday but I probably won't have time for this event due to travel plans. Still, might be worth a look if you can make it.

Yes.

I'll be going on Friday, I have a PSVR demo booked for 1pm.

Well it's a sad day but I've cancelled my pre-order.

There are a number of factors - number one being I have a baby and my wife's maternity pay stops in September - but ultimately I think I need to let this mature a bit (and actually try one properly) before fronting the amount of cash it requires. I'm still very much "onboard" with the whole thing as a concept, and if it turns out as good as I hope I'll probably fork out for a NEO + VR once cash flow returns to a more sustainable level, but for me the list of 'full' launch games (and indeed the confirmed titles for 2016) doesn't feel quite up to what I had hoped for.

I look forward to hearing the reviews and comments from those of you that do have one on the way in October! :)

50 minutes ago, K said:

A Driveclub game made without Evolution Studios is a bit sad. Have they said who's developed it? Sony London, presumably.

It should be an Evo product in all but name. From what I saw Driveclub VR was practically good to go prior to Sony pulling the plug. So certainly wouldn't expect this to be radically different. 

Delighted to to see it make the launch! 

Confirmed again, that all titles are playable on PS4 and Neo. No separation:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/yoshida-asserts-that-all-ps-vr-games-will-work-on-standard-ps4s/0170435

All the PSVR (and future) titles will be playable on (normal) PS4,” Yoshida said at ACGHK 2016 this week, as reported by PSU. “We believe that everyone can enjoy the entertainment content on PSVR. Not just gamers, but a lot more people enjoy PSVR.”

A report in May claimed that PS VR will be a“terrible experience” on current PS4s, and that PS4 Neo was developed in part to improve PS VR performance.

Certainly, the minimum requirements needed for VR on PC are some way ahead of current consoles, leading to plenty of questions about how Sony can hope to craft a satisfactory VR experience with existing hardware.

However, those who have gone hands-on with PS VR are largely positive, and Sony itself has dismissed the suggestion outright.

Much like it took many years before the 360 had Hard Drive required games, I see the same here.

11 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Define "playable".

;)

Well, the differences will be visual won't it? Sony have already made clear to developers that there are strict TRCs on maintaining a high stable framerate due to how much even a slight dip will have on the players comfort.

I've always been an advocate of framerate over resolution so that sits fine with me.

That reads more like it's the maximum amount of space covered by the camera, not necessarily the amount of space you will need for every game. It's not exactly the clearest of articles though. Does anyone here have experience with the camera?

Seems odd, the diagram shows the chair in the middle of the play area, so if you're sitting down, why do you all that space behind you (or to either side)? I guess the try before you buy bit makes sense though, I guess VR isn't for everyone. Saying that, if it is the required minimum space that would be pretty rubbish and they would loose a load of sales.

Actually, the more I read it the more I agree with Qazimod - it appears to be the maximum area covered by the camera, not the required space as reported by Polygon. Far be from them to get anything wrong.

Why is it the max play area, when the diagram shows the capture cone is much larger/wider?

Is it not just a space from which to remove objects that you won't whack your Moves into if sat in the indicated position?

28 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Why is it the max play area, when the diagram shows the capture cone is much larger/wider?

Is it not just a space from which to remove objects that you won't whack your Moves into if sat in the indicated position?

Good point. Actually I wonder if it's a mixture of the two, because a two-metre width is about what you need to keep a person's spread arms from running in the way, but a three metre distance from the camera is far more than it could possibly need.

Presumably the manual will be clearer than the brochure.

On the Polygon comments someone said it was because some games, for instance Rez, make enemies behind you and therefore the camera needs to be able to see behind you so it can put the enemies there.

I reckon that guy is definitely right.