PlayStation VR

rubberducker

12 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

How much are the games? I thought that was one of the things Sony weren't divulging?

Certain games are on the store to preorder with prices. E.g.

PSVR Worlds - £34.99 : https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/playstationvr-worlds/cid=EP9000-CUSA01690_00-VRWORLDPREORDERX

Tumble VR - £7.99 : https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/tumble-vr/cid=EP9000-CUSA04145_00-TUMBLE0PREORDPSN

Until Dawn ROB - £15.99 : https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/until-dawn-rush-of-blood/cid=EP9000-CUSA02350_00-UDROB00PREORDPSN

The most expensive I've seen is RIGS for £50. Which isn't too bad really, so I've just preordered it. So now that's PSVR Worlds, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood and RIGS. It is indeed going to be an expensive month. I'm just glad I decided to keep my Christmas and summer bonuses for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tried this at the CSGO Major in Cologne this past weekend! I was looking forward to getting my hands on the RIGS demo but didn't get to play that unfortunately. I was left to choose between a bunch of on-rail bs or Battlezone. Obviously I went with the latter and am glad I did! I much enjoyed the VR aspect of being inside the cockpit of a spacetank and shooting up the shop. Even though the resolution felt a bit on the lower end I still thought the visuals were impressive overall. The rendering of the actual controller in VR was neat as hell btw, loved that.

So as it stands now, having played with the Rift and PSVR, If I do ever end up looking for some VR action, Playstation will definitely be the way to go for me. The ease of use simply outshines the competition at this point. The price point and low barrier to entry aren't bad either. Good stuff Sony!

In all honesty, I'm not sure I think resolution or graphical quality is really much of an issue for VR (at this point in time). The biggest thing is to make sure you feel like you are present in another world, and have some meaningful and well thought-out interactions within that world. While everything is in its infancy, and there is still so much experimentation going on, I don't think a super-polished, effects laden game is the best use of development time for VR games.

I'm glad that it's the domain of the indie developers at the moment, because they will be the risk takers, and they will progress the ideas and game design much quicker and in more interesting directions than the standard AAA publishers.

That is a nice line up but who is betting most of those will be pretty much tech demos / party games than actual games you would want to spend any decent amount of time with. I am expecting a lot to be downloadable only and be reflected in the price.

If I were Sony I'd be looking into including a PSVR game/experience as part of PlayStation Plus every month. It doesn't make much sense for the service to continue to support Vita for much longer — and you could argue the same for PS3 — so pushing VR seems the obvious choice; it's all new content so of a greater perceived value, plus you make the headset more attractive by building people's libraries for 'free'.

53 minutes ago, Xevious said:

Is it even going to support PSVR? It's got crazy requirements on the PC.

Seemed to completely miss it somehow, but ShopTo have let me know a couple of weeks back that I'm part of their Day 1 allocation which is nice. 

All over Rez, Thumper, SuperHyperCube and Keep Talking; possibly Super Stardust too.

I think that's a pretty strong line up.  I've been scrabbling about for things I fancied at recent machine launches so to have four nailed on is notable

What does this mean? They're talking about cinematic mode - https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/21/playstation-vr-cinematic-mode/

"While this is an undeniably great feature, you’ll still have to contend with the dreaded screen door effect that features in all VR headsets. This refers to the user being able to see the space between pixels when looking at the headset’s display. It’s an issue that will be removed as display resolutions improve, but it may mean you prefer viewing your 2D content on a standard screen in the meantime."

Literally black space between every pixel? Surely not?

Yes, that's how every display technology works at the moment, and all the current VR displays have it at some degree or another. If you're fixing your gaze on one spot for long periods, as you would be in cinematic mode, then the fact that you're staring at a display an inch from your eyes. will start to become apparent.

39 minutes ago, Sng said:

What does this mean? They're talking about cinematic mode - https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/21/playstation-vr-cinematic-mode/

"While this is an undeniably great feature, you’ll still have to contend with the dreaded screen door effect that features in all VR headsets. This refers to the user being able to see the space between pixels when looking at the headset’s display. It’s an issue that will be removed as display resolutions improve, but it may mean you prefer viewing your 2D content on a standard screen in the meantime."

Literally black space between every pixel? Surely not?

It's basically like the fact you can see your nose. Ie. You're doing it now you're thinking about it, but don't generally.