PlayStation VR

rubberducker

51 minutes ago, Fury4k said:

I played on an S7 Occulus today. Nothing major, just tried out a few cinemas. A traditional cinema and one on the moon. Then I played with the vr equivalent of Google star map and an underwater fish viewing thing. I know it's not psvr, but it was awesome and made me really excited again for when it finally comes out. I just can't see how this won't be the next big thing. The phone and headset are my mum's and when I got to her house she was sat using it in the kitchen as I let myself in. She's totally in awe of it. 

Whattttt!!!!!!!!

Right - you bloody know I've been looking at this, you mean an s7 with gear VR? I even want to get my mum on it, thats half the point!!

Tell me..EVERYTHING

Yeah man S7 and gear VR. Firstly, I played on a proper Oculus about two years ago at a show and was blown away by that so kind of already knew what to expect. But I put it on with only a not great set of headphones to go with it and was instantly amazed by it to almost the same degree. If I wasn't already getting PSVR I'd buy an S7 and headset based just on that twenty minutes with it. The graphics are what you'd expect from a mobile phone but the 3D is great and there's something about the sense of reality of what you're looking at that makes me not only not care about comparisons of graphics, but forget about any possible disparities altogether. I didn't even think about what the graphics were like in that sense until I started thinking about how to reply to you. People talk about the sense of presence so much that the phrase is almost a cliche, but it's said because its true. There I was sat on the moon watching some trailer on a giant cinema screen, I put my arm out to try and touch the arm rest and it landed on the kitchen counter, that was pretty cool. Then I got out of the chair and tried to walk around, which didn't work with it because the program keeps you stuck in the seat. But the sense of being there was so strong that I felt really weird that the scenery wasn't moving with me. Another thing that's impressive is how things are all to scale around you, the size of the screen and the chairs displayed around me. As well as that if you haven't used a decent VR headset there's something about the nature of the 3D that gives it a real physicality that you don't get with old fashioned 3D. The second game/experience we messed about with was an underwater experience with different types of animals and fish swimming around you, from sea turtles to sharks to giant whales. My mum had to take it off because she was getting so tense waiting for the whales to appear and having them loom over you.

It's really easy to use and so if you're mum would be open to trying it out she'd be amazed by it I reckon.

That sounds bloody amazing mate thanks for sharing. EXACTLY what I wanted to hear (as tesco are being dicks about their prices, I managed to negotiate a whole 50p off the contract on the phone to them if I took it...dont send for me if you end up in a hostage situation). 
Then I went to the shop to check em out..the s7 is nice, if a bit safe, the s7 edge was gorgeous but I heard it bleeds light a wee bit.  What were you on man?   I've been watching gear VR game trailers today and they're so good.

What was I on? Not sure I understand what you mean there. It was the S7 edge though if that's what you mean. which I think is bigger than the standard one, I didn't notice any light leak, but maybe that was why. As well as what I wrote above, I was just thinking about other complaints people made about VR in general. I didn't see any giant pixels, it wasn't blurry and I didn't notice any kind of screen door effect. Just get one dude, you won't regret it and you can always flip it if I'm wrong, but I'm confident I'm not.

Oh, bear in mind. The headset is free with the phone again now, so don't get conned into splashing out extra for it.

Yeah i meant which phone sorry. So you went for the edge..do you like it? I think it seems pretty sweet..and it works well? Carmack says the standard s7 has slightly better density but that edge screen is lush. I'm already so close to doing it..who'd you get it off btw, a decent deal?

Ah it's my mum's phone rather than mine, I didn't get to play with it much outside the headset, but it is very pretty and flashy looking. I'm pretty sure it was an O2 deal, it was definitely from Carphone warehouse.

Cracking, well thats a nice bonus for tonight cheers mate, Ive gotta get one of these. Thats some nifty taste your mum has in phones, mines using a clamshell from about 2003, she'll probably think an s7 edge is from space.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

The GearVR is a pretty great demo. It's not the same of course but it DOES get the point across.

Selling points to me:  Wireless, portable, good brands (samsung, oculus), curated store, good for viewing stuff Im not ready for gaming yet. I''d have one already if the contracts on them werent such bullshit.

@McSpeed can you tell us a little about how rush of blood works. Is your character sat down for the entire thing and is the second move controller a torch, do you think you could use one of those gun shaped adaptors that came out with move for the gun? What's it like to play? 

Yeah come on Joe,

The untill dawn game is one im interested in. There was a lot of 'eh' sounds coming from the football one too, bit awkward or something? :P

Anyways nothing against your videos but we can't tell much of the experience from them. Does the headset sit ok on your head? No external lighting gets through im guessing? And did you feel nauseous at all? (Seems to be a common theme going around VR).

4 hours ago, Fury4k said:

@McSpeed can you tell us a little about how rush of blood works. Is your character sat down for the entire thing and is the second move controller a torch, do you think you could use one of those gun shaped adaptors that came out with move for the gun? What's it like to play? 

It's funny for a while but got tedious quite quickly. You're just sat there in a minecart, being wheeled through the level shooting at stuff, zombies and ghosts. Shooting a gun crate gets you a better weapon for a while, hitting a sign can change your route.

It could be fine as a Time Crisis-like experience, the aiming felt way off. To quote an old shooting game review: 'It was like spraying Murray Mints all over the place.' The aiming was just very inaccurate and the bullets (except for the shotgun) lacked impact :mellow:

I've guessing the gun-shaped Move (it'll be a standalone thing, not a modification for your average Move) won't work here as you wield two guns at the same time.

From what I've played, Battlezone is a much better shooting game experience in this regard!

2 hours ago, Luseth said:

Yeah come on Joe,

The untill dawn game is one im interested in. There was a lot of 'eh' sounds coming from the football one too, bit awkward or something? :P

Anyways nothing against your videos but we can't tell much of the experience from them. Does the headset sit ok on your head? No external lighting gets through im guessing? And did you feel nauseous at all? (Seems to be a common theme going around VR).

It's called Headmaster and I'm just bad at headers really :) Did manage a few nice hits later on though!

The overal experience is like @Cyhwuhx described. In short: it's sat nice and comfy on your head, with good adjustability of the strap and the visor - leave it to Sony to design a nice consumer product here.

No external lighting gets through thanks to black rubbery flaps around the visor, works well!

I've hardly felt any nausea in any VR experience. A tiny little bit when I was really pushing it in Battlezone, moving the tank in a certain direction and looking in the other. But in general, no complains here at all.

4 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

TBH, it would be insane if @McSpeed would suffer from nausea in VR, it would practically disqualify him from ever sitting behind a wheel. :P

Dont know if i would trust him behind the wheel anyway, you seen how he races in gta hehe

Interesting article about VR games at E3 making people sick.  I really hope the VR devs for PSVR are giving consideration to VR sickness.  It will be a shame to damage the VR market with wide spread reports of users getting sick.  People new to the tech may assume you can shoehorn existing fps games without issue. 

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/KrisGraft/20160624/275803/Heres_probably_why_VR_made_you_sick_at_E3.php

Realised what my dream/nightmare VR game would be: a remake of Geoff Crammond's The Sentinel.

Just imagine the palpitations as his gaze falls on you and you spin around desperately looking for a place to teleport to get out of his line of sight.

It's perfect for VR.

Launch line-up is starting to take shape. Shamelessly stolen from Neogaf:

Batman Arkham VR
Battlezone
Bound
Danganronpa VR (Japan only)
Eagle Flight
EVE: Valkyrie
Futuridium EP Deluxe VR (free Add-on)
Harmonix Music VR
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X
Hatsune Miku VR: Future Live (Japan Only)
Headmaster
Hustle Kings VR
Job Simulator
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Kismet
The Modern Zombie Taxi Co.
Moto Racer 4
PlayRoom VR (Free)
PlayStation VR Worlds
Psychonauts: In The Rhombus Of Ruin
RIGS
Rez Infinite
Robinson: The Journey
Star Wars: X-Wing VR (free Add-on)
Summer Lesson (Japan Only)
SUPERHYPERCUBE
Super Stardust Ultra VR
Synthesis Universe
Tethered
Thumper
Tumble VR
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
VEV: Viva Ex Vivo (free Add-on)
Volume: Coda (free Add-on)
Wayward Sky

Definites for me are REZ, SUPERHYPERCUBE, Thumper, Bound, TumbleVR and Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes. I'll probably pick up a few more but I'll see how reviews and general impressions are first.

I'd like to get Rez (because Rez), and something like Headmaster (Edge says it doesn't use an additional controller, and I'd like something simple to show to curious onlookers). Other "maybes" would be Thumper and SUPERHYPERCUBE, but the line-up is varied enough to have plenty to pick from... :)

6 hours ago, ridgeracer said:

Ah, just what I want after a hard days graft, to come home and simulate being back at work.

What could be better!

Sure you're joking, but Job Simulator is hilarious and on the Vive atleast, a great example of room scale. Perfect introductory experience for people too. 

I'm surprised that Sony hasn't announced what it's going to do with the Move controllers yet (ie. relaunch, rebranding or new design). Control does seem to be the weak link when it comes to PSVR compared to the alternatives, unfortunately.

Out of that lineup, I'm definitely buying Rez Infinite, Thumper, Headmaster, and whichever is the best received out of the rest. Oh, and Batman Arkham VR for the girlf!