PlayStation VR

rubberducker

Traditional trailers don't do much to help with explaining VR experiences. The most interesting video's I've found:

Robinson - The Journey

Really interesting to see this being played, and show how they've implemented movement

Batman VR

This is just a chat between Bosman and Jones, but they really sell the experience. I think I want this now:

6 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The resolution isn't actually lower. ;)

Rift and Vive are 2160 x 1200

PSVR is 1920x1080 isn't it?

even per eye rift and vive are 1080x1200 and PSVR is 960x1080

reports say that because PSVR uses OLED then it looks sharper/nicer

Vive and OR use pentile displays, which have 1/3 fewer subpixels than a PS VR RGB panel.

RGB pixels are larger, which might explain why it feels lower, but it gives better image quality, far less screen door, etc.

@Cyhwuhx great impressions. You've basically confirmed my observation regarding the differences in software quality.

Cheers @Cyhwuhx:) 'T was fun to try PlayStation VR again. Fourth time for me (RIGS, Trackmania, and various demo's at Paris Games Week) but this was more substantial than before - an hour of playing surprisingly polished demo's.

Battlezone was the big surprise for me, too - is @linkster (still) working on that?

It felt like something I would actually keep playing, with solid controls, exciting and increasingly difficult gameplay. Also, that lovely neon futuristic, abstract art style :wub:

I have some funny videos to share later but YouTube seems on the fritz. Until then:

425337881_18590.jpg

8 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Cheers @Cyhwuhx:) 'T was fun to try PlayStation VR again. Fourth time for me (RIGS, Trackmania, and various demo's at Paris Games Week) but this was more substantial than before - an hour of playing surprisingly polished demo's.

Battlezone was the big surprise for me, too - is @linkster (still) working on that?

It felt like something I would actually keep playing, with solid controls, exciting and increasingly difficult gameplay. Also, that lovely neon futuristic, abstract art style :wub:

I have some funny videos to share later but YouTube seems on the fritz. Until then:

425337881_18590.jpg

McSmooth.

Great to read some detailed impressions from people who are also familiar with the Vive.

My housemate got a Vive a few weeks ago and it's awesome; I've been very close to cancelling my PSVR order and getting a Vive myself, but I know I'd need to upgrade my graphics card and that makes it a little too costly for me right now. The lower resolution was a worry as the screen door can still be very apparent on the Vive at times, but it sounds like that's not so much of an issue.

The only thing that's still making me question what to go for is that on PC you can play soooo many different games/experiences, and I also want to start developing my own stuff for VR at some point. Sony have previously stated that the PSVR "could" work on PC as well, but I just wish they'd confirm it either way.

Battle zone is coming to all VR headsets as far as I know.  It would be cool if there was cross multiplayer. 

I cannot wait for your impressions of PSVR as VR is a game changing piece of tech for gaming.  Not as a replacement mind for 2d screens.  After trying a driving sim or cockpit game in VR you're not going to want to play those types of games any other way.

On 6/15/2016 at 10:35 AM, Darhkwing said:

I thought it was already said that PSVR wouldn't run on standard PS4? It would have to be neo.

Quite the opposite, I sometimes wonder how these rumors begin!

More Battlezone coverage from videogamer.com

5 minutes ago, Fury4k said:

Guys am I right in thinking psvr doesn't have a game bundled? I'm thinking I should get some games preordered, but I don't want to accidentally double up.

The headset ehr... set they showed had just the headset and cords. No games bundled. I imagine them throwing some demos on the Store, but nothing announced. (Yet. We still have Gamescom in August.)

7 minutes ago, Herbalizer said:

I only pre ordered yesterday on Amazon. Is there any hope of release day delivery or has all the initial allocation gone?

I believe the initial allocation was sold out in the first 10 mins or so, so they won't be putting down a delivery date for a while I suspect. They have put limits on how many a customer can have and such though I believe to try and meet demand (though I suspect there will be lots of overpriced ones on ebay straight after delivery) ^_^

Anyways I wouldn't bet on it if i'm honest, sadly I'm in the same boat as you.

Probably one for the general VR impressions thread but I hadn't tried any VR at all until someone gave me the Gear VR thing to try out a few days ago. To be honest the hardware didn't seem very well suited to it. The screen was quite blurry no matter how I adjusted the focus and the graphics looked really low-res. I'm sure the PSVR will offer an exponentially nicer experience.

However, despite that, and despite the fact that I was just watching some crappy Assassin's Creed video, it completely convinced me that my PSVR preorder was justified. I probably looked like a loon standing in the middle of a pub turning around and twisting my head to look around but it felt like something I had genuinely never experienced before. The thought of experiencing that kind of immersiveness with a much better screen, proper games and Sony standard of hardware is mouthwatering. 

I wasn't really excited about my PSVR preorder but made one more out of obligation to be in on day 1. Now I'm already feeling impatient.

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

Which game shall I pre-order? ^_^ I'm contemplating Untill dawn as my first game.

I've preordered until dawn and playstation worlds ad they're the two lower priced ones. I'm sure I'll preorder more, but not sure which yet. Probably Re7 and Rigs. I want valkyrie and the Batman game too, but it's not available to preorder yet. Plus I'm thinking I could flip until dawn and ps worlds to fund one of the others without losing much after I'm done with them.