rllmuk
rubberducker

PlayStation VR

Imagine this in your VR headset... The PS4 movie encoder couldn't keep up 

Well I couldn't resist the mega pack at the current offer price, that's crazy value for money to jump on the VR wagon.  I'm really looking forward to Astrobot and Skyrim.  Some of the FPS games with the aim controller are also very tempting - that's the stuff of my childhood dreams.

I managed to get a boxed Aim Controller from crime generator for 14 quid. They thought it was like those old Ps3 move holders shaped like guns so I'm looking for Farpoint in the sale I think.

• Upvote 1

Farpoint with the Aim controller is a lot of fun. Doom VFR actually becomes playable with it as well*, and is great, as is Borderlands. The only issue is after having a perfect setup for it initially I now get an annoying amount of drift on anything I play on it.

*okay it’s playable with the pad but that seems to defeat the point of it.

On 30/05/2020 at 09:42, moosegrinder said:

I managed to get a boxed Aim Controller from crime generator for 14 quid. They thought it was like those old Ps3 move holders shaped like guns so I'm looking for Farpoint in the sale I think.

Wait, what? Is Cash Converters back open where you live? 

8 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Wait, what? Is Cash Converters back open where you live? 

The one near me is Cash Generator but I have seen a cash converters somewhere in the Midlands. Probably franchised.

5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The one near me is Cash Generator but I have seen a cash converters somewhere in the Midlands. Probably franchised.

Fair, although the point I was going for was more about the shop being open. 

12 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Fair, although the point I was going for was more about the shop being open. 

Ooooooooooh, sorry no I got it ages ago before the world went to shit.

• Upvote 1

Curiosity led me to P---Hub last night (purely for research purposes) and the VR stuff doesn't work but my god having the videos in cinema mode are something else. Definitely a step up from my phone, and when I finished there was a cup of tea waiting for me.

Anyway, is Gran Turismo worth getting for the VR mode? I played that Luge demo last night and that was a bit of a headfuck.

Also played the London gangster demo thing and the section in the van was bloody awesome but the rest was a sub par Lock Stock with not much interaction.

PSVR is ace!

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Curiosity led me to P---Hub last night (purely for research purposes) and the VR stuff doesn't work but my god having the videos in cinema mode are something else. Definitely a step up from my phone, and when I finished there was a cup of tea waiting for me.

Anyway, is Gran Turismo worth getting for the VR mode? I played that Luge demo last night and that was a bit of a headfuck.

Also played the London gangster demo thing and the section in the van was bloody awesome but the rest was a sub par Lock Stock with not much interaction.

PSVR is ace!

Obviously I haven't tried this but apparently you have to download on a PC and transfer said files...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Depends what you're into. The PS4 isn't powerful enough to drive the VR and simulate a whole track full of cars at the same time, so you're limited to solo time trials, or 1v1 against a single AI car. Doesn't make a difference if you have a PS4 Pro or not.

With that said, just driving in VR is still wonderful and if you have a steering wheel, you should absolutely get GT Sport. It's not even very dear these days.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, beenabadbunny said:

Depends what you're into. The PS4 isn't powerful enough to drive the VR and simulate a whole track full of cars at the same time, so you're limited to solo time trials, or 1v1 against a single AI car. Doesn't make a difference if you have a PS4 Pro or not.

With that said, just driving in VR is still wonderful and if you have a steering wheel, you should absolutely get GT Sport. It's not even very dear these days.

Cheers, I think it would be great in cinema mode anyway and it's been a while since I played a GT game. I'll see if it's in the sale on the 3rd.

6 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I wonder if magically on PS5 the VR mode will suddenly be the whole game.

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Cheers, I think it would be great in cinema mode anyway and it's been a while since I played a GT game. I'll see if it's in the sale on the 3rd.

Yes, I should have said that in my post. It is great, and it's still easier/more immersive in cinema mode than it is even on a large TV.

• Upvote 1

Couple of things:

1) playing Beat Saber in this weather is a fucking stupid idea.

2) the 650m of movement level can go and fuck itself.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Couple of things:

I love Beat Saber but I stopped playing the campaign missions due to those kind of goals, the one for me was the minimal movement challenges.

I just go through the playlists and have a great time doing that and yeah, not in this weather :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Couple of things:

You can cheese those ones by just waggling the wrist of the saber that doesn’t have anything directly in front of it. Yeah I’m sure it’s a challenge to do properly and is trying to teach you a better scoring technique but like you say it’s not fun.

1 hour ago, merrychan said:

I love Beat Saber but I stopped playing the campaign missions due to those kind of goals, the one for me was the minimal movement challenges.

I just go through the playlists and have a great time doing that and yeah, not in this weather :)

This exactly. Stop playing the campaign when you start hating it. I like the occasional quirky optional achievement or two that get you to play differently, but to lock progress down to doing really well using sub-optimal play is just daft. Better off without it, and there's loads of fun to be had just playing the tracks you like hunting down better ranks.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

You can cheese those ones by just waggling the wrist of the saber that doesn’t have anything directly in front of it. Yeah I’m sure it’s a challenge to do properly and is trying to teach you a better scoring technique but like you say it’s not fun.

Yeah, the problem is I only have rhythm if there's rhythm (as in to the music that's playing) so arbitrarily waving my left arm (in particular for some reason) means I just fuck everything up. It's a lot more difficult than I expected.

Re: Beat Saber (I was going to add this as an edit to my last post, but think it's worth slightly more than that.)

What I found when trying to play the campaign was that it drained an awful lot of the enjoyment out of the game. Not just because I was being set these odd goals that required me to stand stock still, or wiggle my wrists like a twat, but because it robbed me of the enjoyment that I'd get from playing the game the way I naturally do - to strike poses, to scrape a saber (or both) off a wall in a quiet moment just for the sake of the sparks and the rumble it elicits - that sort of thing (which never got old). The basic game feels like it wants you to perform and to let rip, but the campaign wants to hobble you. It's piss-poor design, IMO.

• Upvote 5

Yep, beat saber's campaign is a bag of frustrating shit. Thankfully the track dlcs are pretty decent. :)

Right, I thought it might just be me being shit, but it's good to know everyone else has fucked it off too.

Everybody's Golf VR and Farpoint are apparently £8.99 in the Days of Play sale. Superhot is £9.99. Skyrim VR is £19.99 because Bethesda.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/all-days-of-play-deals-at-playstation-psn-store-uk-far-cry-new-dawn-1299-fifa-20-899-the-outerworlds-2499-uncharted-4-899-more-3476979

SuperHot is a blast in VR but requires space.

Skyrim VR - ugh here we go again - is neat. I liked it a lot sitting on the couch with the regular Dual Shock but apparently it becomes magically good while standing with Moves. I could not get on with the latter, at all like.

Yeah I've got Superhot and yeah I've nearly destroyed the lamp in the front room. Nearly did with Beat Saber too. Think Everybody's Golf might finish it off.

Everybody's Golf VR is great, pretty hard though, as real golf probably is. 

1 hour ago, df0 said:

Skyrim VR - ugh here we go again - is neat. I liked it a lot sitting on the couch with the regular Dual Shock but apparently it becomes magically good while standing with Moves. I could not get on with the latter, at all like.

No no no no no. I played it sat down, with move controllers. Playing Skyrim standing up becomes very tiring very quickly I found.