PlayStation VR

rubberducker

I've had a DK2, and used a Vive, but the E3 showing is pushing me towards picking up a PS4 and PSVR. 

There are obviously the technical limitations and fewer wacky homebrew experiments, but they're the first company who seem to be showing a commitment to something resembling games. Real games too.

I don't mind if the Batman experience is 60 mins long - I'm still not sure yet how often I'll want to spend more than 15-20 mins in VR at a time.

Yep, OR's insistence on creating a walled garden is definitely a big negative for your average PC user. Though you can make SteamVR games that are entirely Oculus compatible.

I'd probably expect most of the non-Sony-backed PSVR experiences (if they exist) to wind up on PC in some form. The market's not big enough to rule out potential sales for devs.

I do wonder how early this one will be if we're really getting relatively quick 'new generations' if the talk is that PSVR doesn't really need Neo to work, I wonder if PSVR2 will be out in a year or two and this one is just a test of the water.

I'm still getting one but I'm quite tempted by the Vive as well to a degree, just to save having to get the Neo and so on and rely on the PC for better VR experiences.

21 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Yes I have a oculus rift , but the PSVR looks nice. Is RE7 coming to pc too?

It's coming out on everything, although there's no word on other VR support yet. Just "you can play the whole thing on PSVR". I can't imagine it won't support the Rift and Vive unless Sony have some kind of VR exclusivity deal.

I feel like cancelling my PSVR order based on what I've seen so far and uncertainty induced by the new consoles and that Edge report casting doubt on the base PS4 having the necessary oomph.

I'll wait until nearer the time, see what develops. 

I'm in no hurry either. I just don't have the money, and I think I'd rather put it towards a Neo or Scorpio next year, then perhaps a 4K TV. As exciting as VR sounds, and no doubt will be, it still feels like we're testing the waters.

5 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

I thought it was already said that PSVR wouldn't run on standard PS4? It would have to be neo.

Neo doesn't even officially properly exist and barely unofficially existed when they started taking money for VR pre-orders.

They insist the standard one is fine.

17 minutes ago, Graham_S said:

I feel like cancelling my PSVR order based on what I've seen so far and uncertainty induced by the new consoles and that Edge report casting doubt on the base PS4 having the necessary oomph.

you'll be at the back of the queue for ordering one though.

unless it goes full-virtualboy and they're heavily discounted by the end of the first year, obv.

I already tested the water with the Oculus DK2 and although I'd like a 4K TV as well for general gaming, I bloody love VR and the "idea" of VR so I'm more than happy to do some more guinea pigging.

If silly nerds like us don't jump on the bandwagon and show it some support then it really will be the end of it all and where's the fun in that. I'm bored enough of 'mainstream' games at the moment and VR is on of the few areas in gaming where there is still some good old crazy shit happening.

Yeah VR is the only field in games right now where any true innovation might happen. I want to be there from the start so I can get fully swept away by the hype and excitement. If the Batman game is only an hour long, that's fine. So long as it's not a full price game. If it's only an hour long and there's no replayability there will be tones of copies getting sold on cheap after a week anyway. 

And anyway four player co-op Star Trek Bridge Crew! I posed you twice for bringing that to my attention @SeanR

3 hours ago, Graham_S said:

I cancelled my preorder. Absolutely nothing to convince that games released will amount to more than minigames.

6 hours ago, ashmatuk said:

I cancelled my preorder. Absolutely nothing to convince that games released will amount to more than minigames.

It'll be a mixture of stuff obviously. RE7, Rez, Rigs and EVE: Valkyrie are hardly minigames. I already like a lot of 'one shot' experience games like Gone Home and EGTTR so it's probably an easier sell to me.

E3 release date of 13th October is pretty much confirmed for Europe aswell. Games have gone up for pre-order online with that date. Online prices are:

Rigs: £54.99

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood: £15.99

VR Worlds: £34.99

Tumble VR: £7.99

Volume is also under £4 at the moment and will be getting a VR chapter at launch in a free update.

2 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

It'll be a mixture of stuff obviously. RE7, Rez, Rigs and EVE: Valkyrie are hardly minigames. I already like a lot of 'one shot' experience games like Gone Home and EGTTR so it's probably an easier sell to me.

E3 release date of 13th October is pretty much confirmed for Europe aswell. Games have gone up for pre-order online with that date. Online prices are:

Rigs: £54.99

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood: £15.99

VR Worlds: £34.99

Tumble VR: £7.99

Volume is also under £4 at the moment and will be getting a VR chapter at launch in a free update.

Where are you getting those prices?

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is: "Sony PlayStation VR" Estimated arrival date: October 13 2016

See you on release date for gadget lust :)

and buyers remorse

Oh and I better buy a PS camera

and preorder some games

oh dear bye bye bank balance.

Yessss

Hello, We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is: "Sony PlayStation VR" Estimated arrival date: October 13 2016

Was getting a bit nervous after weeks of "we're still waiting to find out the date" on my order status. Now to enjoy finding a camera while they're still readily available. ;)

15 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Yessss

Was getting a bit nervous after weeks of "we're still waiting to find out the date" on my order status. Now to enjoy finding a camera while they're still readily available. ;)

Hmm, I ordered mine March 16th and it still says "We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate" despite it listing the release date as Oct 13th just below that.

I'm excited about getting on the VR bandwagon. Current on an xbox one, just to decide which hardware to adopt

Jury is out for 'project scorpio'

Thinking about switching to ps4 depending on how this VR is received.