PlayStation VR

rubberducker

I'm thinking for me the best solution is PSVR for more casual quick blast vr gaming on a weeknight, relaxing sitdown style games. Then the Vive for weekend sessions having it setup for an afternoon of immersive standing vr experiences. Exciting times indeed!

I think interactive experiences and shorter style games suits the standing format to be honest, for me at least. Will be great for having few friends over and passing the headset around.

Though having said that Vanishing Realms appears to be an attempt at a proper game, and looks pretty cool actually.

My girlfriend is most looking forward to tiltbrush, can't wait to get creative in that space.

I went on Thursday and did the London Heist one. At the time I quite enjoyed it, it was probably the highest level of novelty value I've experienced, but in retrospect it was utterly shit. It was just like playing a shit version of Virtua Cop but you could look up at a sun visor whenever you wanted. Tech wise it was...OK? I've not "done" VR before, but it felt a bit like just putting your face near a TV that moved around with you, it was pixelly and a bit blurry, it didn't really feel impressive. It was comfortable to wear though and I didn't get any motion sickness or anything. The move controllers were fine and tracked well in the game, picking up a clip and putting it in the gun felt good and I entertained the staff by removing a cup from the dashboard and placing it down elsewhere so it didn't get knocked off. And the chair was comfortable.

But that doesn't really change the fact that the game was proper 3/10 stuff. The graphics were shit, the only things you could shoot were the tires so whilst the aiming felt accurate the bullets didn't have any effect most of the time. It did feel new and different, but every time it did something videogamey, like the invincible humans and infinite number of clips and such, it took you out of the game more than it does normally as you notice it so much more. The staff dude said it was the best demo there, which I really hope was a Massive Lie.

I'll definitely get one at some point to play Rez, but if that didn't exist I'd not be even considering it and if I had pre-ordered on a whim I'd cancel it after the demo. 

18 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Thread is alternatively fueling and killing my PSVR Boner.  :mellow:

My only real concern is the cost of games for PSVR. Even if it was a shit game, London Heist was an interesting experience and if they can price things low enough to make it worth giving them a spin once or twice then you're getting a lot of experiences for your initial investment. If you're paying £350 plus extras and then they need to ask for another sixty quid for a clunky Virtua Cop it loses a vast amount of the appeal.

I know (they selected it off the menu), I don't think it changes the point though. Encouraging VR owners to buy many games for low prices rather than few for high prices will do everyone a lot more good. PSVR is less likely to take that route though.

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

I know (they selected it off the menu), I don't think it changes the point though. Encouraging VR owners to buy many games for low prices rather than few for high prices will do everyone a lot more good. PSVR is less likely to take that route though.

Totally disagree. REZ is playable in a standard form, so I'd be amazed if it costs above £20. Apart from Sony London, and Supergiant Games I don't think there are any other 1st party games and everything is from indie studios. Games will be cheap, and plenty of games you already own will have some sort of VR mode added in I think.

Only £40 games I see happening at launch are VR Worlds and Rigs.

Some further general VR thoughts from yesterday:

- Very little on Vive on or Occulus that looked interesting. PSVR line-up although quite small, looked and felt polished and consisted of things you might actually want to play more than once.

- My friend played Rigs and mentioned straight away he could see the pixel lines. He's a graphic designer though and is a little bit hyper sensitive to it. I noticed it slightly at the starting menu but forgot about it straight away, but it helps that REZ is mostly black. I do think games that are mostly white will suffer more.

- Between London Heist and Until Dawn I think that the most successful VR games in the short-term will be on rails shooters. Light Gun games are the most perfect fit for the tech - Namco would be insane not to make a Time Crisis.

- I wear glasses and it was very comfortable - pretty sure the device almost floats infront of your face from above, and there was absolutely no pressure on my face or glasses.

- It was my first experience of VR. I don't know why I didn't realise it was 3D tech, and it terms of visual clarity it felt no different to watching a 3D film at the cinema.

• 2 weeks later...

amazon alerts...

We're pleased to inform you that the item you have requested is now available to order from Amazon.co.uk. Please act quickly as there's no guarantee it will remain in stock for long.

except I had my

Order placed 17 March 2016

I tried the link

We're sorry. This item has a limited purchase quantity. We have changed your purchase quantity to the maximum allowable.

because I already have an order, with an order number and everything. I must have doubled-up somewhere...

I am intrigued to see if this will be as supply constrained as the farcical Vive and Rift launches.

My guess is that Sony is more used to these big launches and has set the release date window based on manufacturing them for a couple of months beforehand (which is how I assume it works with console launches as well).

Why the other two seemed to launch with no stock and then rolled it out slowly over weeks I am not sure.

Fingers crossed Sony get the launch right

21 minutes ago, SeanR said:

I tried the link

because I already have an order, with an order number and everything. I must have doubled-up somewhere...

I got the same email. I'm guessing it's because I'd previously signed up to receive news about it a little while before the big announcement and preordered thing. 

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

I am intrigued to see if this will be as supply constrained as the farcical Vive and Rift launches.

My guess is that Sony is more used to these big launches and has set the release date window based on manufacturing them for a couple of months beforehand (which is how I assume it works with console launches as well).

Why the other two seemed to launch with no stock and then rolled it out slowly over weeks I am not sure.

Fingers crossed Sony get the launch right

I think a lot will depend on what is happening with the PS4K, if that is launching this year or early. I suspect they'd like to have enough ready for when that appears, even if it means being r@re in the run up to Christmas.

Annoyingly my day one pre-order is still showing as:

"Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

Has anyone else (other than those that caught the initial batch in the first 30 mins of the preorder opening) had their status updated?

Mine says the same:

Not yet dispatched

Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

It was on the 16th of March, don't think it was in the first 30 minutes though.

yeah mine says Arriving Mon, 3 Oct . I think all orders that got in super quick get that message with a date. It was when it was up for order with a date of release. it disappeared from sale about 10 mins after going online and came back shortly after with a simple "preorder" button so those orders are showijng as "preorder" in the order history.