rllmuk
rubberducker

PlayStation VR

24 minutes ago, Darwock said:

There's a VR demo for AC7 apparently? I have the full game but not playing until later, and VR will probably be kept for after the main game is done. Maybe.

There is. Only in Japan so far. Entire demo is in English.

PSVR Demo is available in the Japanese Store - https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP0700-CUSA14839_00-ACECMBT7VRSTDEMO

How to add Japanese account - https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/11/how-to-create-a-japanese-psn-account-japan-exclusive-ps4-demos-themes-games/

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Is all of Ace Combat 7 VR compatible or just a bit of it?

Barely anything. There are 3 missions (not from the campaign) and a free flight mode, IIRC.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, merrychan said:

Is all of Ace Combat 7 VR compatible or just a bit of it?

3 missions - about an hours worth. There are different difficulty levels to add longevity. 

• Upvote 1

Impressed as I was with Beat Saber, this evening I set up the Aim controller to play Farpoint. Aim controller wasn't having it until I reset it and tried a different USB cable for pairing. At that point it worked like a charm. 

Initially I wasn't as impressed by Farpoint, which I think is because I was just sitting and observing what was happening. The ability to look around the craft and the see the planets and such was a really well done sense of scale. However, once on the planet the sense of immersion was incredible. Walking around that desolate landscape was so well done. The way you move, the way the on screen gun mirrors the way you're holding the Aim. The sound of the wind and the dust storms, it all helped put you in the place. 

And then creatures appeared. I nearly fell over the first time one of them jumped at me. The aiming and sound effect as you shot was amazing. The way you can hold the aim controller up and actually look down the sight and shoot - it felt right and how it should be. The sound of the creatures emerging from the ground, and knowing they're anywhere around you was exhilarating and terrifying. At one point I nearly clocked my wife with the Aim when she came over to tell me our daughter was asleep. She even asked me if I was ok after I began heavy breathing! The graphics aren't great but that sense of being there, of seeing the landscape where ever you looked overshadowed any shortcomings. The only real issue was needing to re-calibrate the controller, which I had to do 2-3 times. 

This may not be the future of gaming, but it's a hell of a path to wander down. 

The controller was great to use, very responsive and easy to get to grips with. I really would love a Point Blank or Virtua Cop/House of the Dead game.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Goose said:

Impressed as I was with Beat Saber, this evening I set up the Aim controller to play Farpoint. Aim controller wasn't having it until I reset it and tried a different USB cable for pairing. At that point it worked like a charm. 

Initially I wasn't as impressed by Farpoint, which I think is because I was just sitting and observing what was happening. The ability to look around the craft and the see the planets and such was a really well done sense of scale. However, once on the planet the sense of immersion was incredible. Walking around that desolate landscape was so well done. The way you move, the way the on screen gun mirrors the way you're holding the Aim. The sound of the wind and the dust storms, it all helped put you in the place. 

And then creatures appeared. I nearly fell over the first time one of them jumped at me. The aiming and sound effect as you shot was amazing. The way you can hold the aim controller up and actually look down the sight and shoot - it felt right and how it should be. The sound of the creatures emerging from the ground, and knowing they're anywhere around you was exhilarating and terrifying. At one point I nearly clocked my wife with the Aim when she came over to tell me our daughter was asleep. She even asked me if I was ok after I began heavy breathing! The graphics aren't great but that sense of being there, of seeing the landscape where ever you looked overshadowed any shortcomings. The only real issue was needing to re-calibrate the controller, which I had to do 2-3 times. 

This may not be the future of gaming, but it's a hell of a path to wander down. 

The controller was great to use, very responsive and easy to get to grips with. I really would love a Point Blank or Virtua Cop/House of the Dead game.

Oh. My. God.

We need ghost squad and HOTD mother fuckers edition! :omg:

• Upvote 2

Any tips for that first boss are most welcome. But yeah, what a game, and what a proof of concept.  A virtual arcade with a massive screen that plays Time Crisis, Point Blank etc would be an day 1 purchased.

As Ace Combat has (understandably) cropped up a few times in here, I want to say that I've not yet touched the VR missions even though they were a large part of the draw for me, as the core campaign has proven to be utterly fantastic, and I strongly recommend it irrespective of its VR levels.

(I'd also mention that, to my understanding, the three VR missions are completely separate from the main campaign, and in fact are set during the events of one of the earlier Ace Combat games, so are truly additional content, not just "here's three of the missions you've already played, rehashed")

• Upvote 4

I tried the AC7 VR missions last night. First game to make me feel properly queezy within seconds. Impressive stuff. 

It looks SO good, I just need to have a dig around in the options to see if there are any comfort settings. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Wiper said:

As Ace Combat has (understandably) cropped up a few times in here, I want to say that I've not yet touched the VR missions even though they were a large part of the draw for me, as the core campaign has proven to be utterly fantastic, and I strongly recommend it irrespective of its VR levels.

(I'd also mention that, to my understanding, the three VR missions are completely separate from the main campaign, and in fact are set during the events of one of the earlier Ace Combat games, so are truly additional content, not just "here's three of the missions you've already played, rehashed")

Other way round for me. I’ve not touched anything but the VR missions - holy hell! So so good! I didn’t feel any VR sicknesses, but I swear that my checks were flapping around during take off! It very very impressive, and like Astrobot, it feels like a real second gen PSVR title.

• Upvote 3

My nephew and I were playing The Playroom again recently, and we saw the updated "Robot Rescue" with the plug for Astro Bot at the end... so guess what game he wants me to buy now :P

I know in fairness I should already own it, but late '18/early '19 has been nuts for new game releases, and I still have so much I'm currently playing. I'll definitely keep it in mind though...

4 hours ago, Qazimod said:

My nephew and I were playing The Playroom again recently, and we saw the updated "Robot Rescue" with the plug for Astro Bot at the end... so guess what game he wants me to buy now :P

I know in fairness I should already own it, but late '18/early '19 has been nuts for new game releases, and I still have so much I'm currently playing. I'll definitely keep it in mind though...

If Astro bot loses the GOTY by one vote it’s your fault and we shall hound you off the forum ;) 

• Upvote 3

I played Astro Bot : Rescue Mission for the first time.

Starts of brilliantly and then in world 1-2 there is a moment (that I think has already been hinted at on here) that is completely incredible and had me laughing out loud in amazement.

That is a most joyous game, so very inventive and I think the strongest uses of VR.

• Upvote 4

You know when you play The London Heist with the Move controllers? Has anyone managed NOT to fake smoke when you're in the pub? I caught myself several times taking puffs with the lighter to get the cigar burning again.

11 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

You know when you play The London Heist with the Move controllers? Has anyone managed NOT to fake smoke when you're in the pub? I caught myself several times taking puffs with the lighter to get the cigar burning again.

blowing smoke is the best thing ever

London heist is another one of those games that you could easily imagine being extended into a 5 or 6 hour thing with various scenes. You could have fist fights, car chases in various forms,  (out the back of vans , on the back of motorbikes etc) various cover shoot areas. And of course various cutscenes that you can interact with as you do when you are in the pub. (cigar smoke, pick up the money, pick up the blokes phone and read it etc)

EDIT: Justs seen that the team were working on a game call "blood and truth" which appears to have become vapuorware

Yeah pretty sure it's due for release this year.

Do we have any more big hitters on the way for VR this year.  Having recently returned to RE7 to attempt to not be a wimp and finish it (nearly there now) it is back to being permanently setup and ready to go.

Thanks to the new demo disc I tried Superhot VR tonight - you guys weren't kidding about that one. It's another completely fresh VR experience, genuinely unlike any game I've played in my life. So much fun and so intuitive (except for the throwing, but I started to get a handle on that by the end of the demo).

I did lightly punch the wall a couple of times though - once with my hand and once with the squishy ball on the Move. My room is just big enough that I can stretch my arms out and barely touch both walls with fingertips, so if there's anything preventing me from buying it immediately it's that. Mostly I was fine but if I got too into it I punched while leaning over, which was obviously not very smart.

I remember people talking about difficulty with tracking low moves, and I don't think there was anything like that in the demo unfortunately. There was one where I was taking cover behind a cabinet and that seemed OK.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Darwock said:

Thanks to the new demo disc I tried Superhot VR tonight - you guys weren't kidding about that one. It's another completely fresh VR experience, genuinely unlike any game I've played in my life. So much fun and so intuitive (except for the throwing, but I started to get a handle on that by the end of the demo).

I did lightly punch the wall a couple of times though - once with my hand and once with the squishy ball on the Move. My room is just big enough that I can stretch my arms out and barely touch both walls with fingertips, so if there's anything preventing me from buying it immediately it's that. Mostly I was fine but if I got too into it I punched while leaning over, which was obviously not very smart.

I remember people talking about difficulty with tracking low moves, and I don't think there was anything like that in the demo unfortunately. There was one where I was taking cover behind a cabinet and that seemed OK.

Superhot is the only game Ive not been able to fully calibrate - If I step further away from the camera I get "out of play area" messages on screen, but if I go closer the camera doesn't see enough for me to pick things off the floor.

I should be able to check that after clearing one of the stages right? If there are objects left I can drop them on the floor and try to pick them up again. Will give it a go before I buy.

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

I should be able to check that after clearing one of the stages right? If there are objects left I can drop them on the floor and try to pick them up again. Will give it a go before I buy.

You don't have to reach all the way down to the floor to pick up an object.  Just pointing at it is good enough for it to jump into your hand.

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:00, parrapatheslapper said:

Do we have any more big hitters on the way for VR this year. 

Not sure you'd call it a big hitter, but I really liked the look of Falcon Age when it popped in Eurogamer's "50 games to look out for this year" list: