PlayStation VR

rubberducker

12 minutes ago, ashmatuk said:

Don't you need a ps4 camera?

got one with my ps4 at launch. It's on top of my telly (not pictured). I just got the ps3 camera because it was cheap, and I have a ps3. It can go on the shelf with my ps2 camera, my kinect 1.0, and if I can find it, my 360 camera. Mmm, cameras...

I think JohnC meant the PlayStation Eye, which was the name of the PS3 camera. You showed the EyeToy (which isn't compatible with Move) because that's what had been mentioned and Shimmyhill was remarking that the PlayStation 3 camera had a higher resolution than the EyeToy. *shrugs*

(ok, posts appear empty when I edit them, and I can't always add photos, but that's by-the-by)

there's a PS3 camera on the box in front of the move controllers charging in my picture.

wait, the PS3 had TWO cameras released for it?

All set here. Big delivery from CEX turned up. PS4 camera, box was slightly knocked about but it's gotto be brand new. Still had all the foam packing on the cable, fresh cable ties, plastic films all round the camera :D

2 Move controllers and charge station are a little grubby, but tested quickly and all working :)

Also got a PSTV for streaming to the lounge on games nights (unrelated to PSVR), so need to test that out tonight.

20 hours ago, SeanR said:

I just got the ps3 camera because it was cheap, and I have a ps3.

The PS3 camera is worth having for Eye of Judgement and the various visual toys, which at the very least are good fun for kids. The movie-making app is definitely worth checking out - you can do stop-motion and reverse film and so on. It's a nice rainy day option.

Sure I won't be the only one to ask this, but are there any games/apps other than Sportsfriends (preferably free) than can at least test the move controllers? The mini game in Sportfriends was certainly detecting the Move wands movement, but it'd be nice to be able to check the tracking is working correctly. I've got The Playroom which I loaded for 5mins just to check the camera works, will try it properly after work.

32 minutes ago, FozZ said:

Sure I won't be the only one to ask this, but are there any games/apps other than Sportsfriends (preferably free) than can at least test the move controllers? The mini game in Sportfriends was certainly detecting the Move wands movement, but it'd be nice to be able to check the tracking is working correctly. I've got The Playroom which I loaded for 5mins just to check the camera works, will try it properly after work.

So many people are going to load up Sportfriends for the first time in the coming months and find out it is amazing. Except the one that you use the move controller for, that's a bit rubbish.

14 minutes ago, Rev said:

So many people are going to load up Sportfriends for the first time in the coming months and find out it is amazing. Except the one that you use the move controller for, that's a bit rubbish.

Heh, the other games get regularly played when I have mates over. Great fun. That Joust thing seems dreadful though, but all I could test with.

Is anyone going to the Eurogamer Rezzed expo next week?

They're going to have the PS VR there and apparently will be letting people book slots online. Tickets to the expo are ~£13 a day.

I've got no interest in seeing anything there except PS VR but don't want to buy a ticket if all the slots go in about 5 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a feeling we'll be playing PS VR Worlds for the most part, but would jump at the chance to play any of those. I'm also hoping Driveclub will be there in some way, shape or form so we know it's not been canned along with Evo.

I hope it's good. I bought my ticket after booking my PS VR slot. Have had a look at everything else at the expo and there doesn't seem to be anything else I'm remotely interested in on show.

On 3/20/2016 at 2:50 PM, Rev said:

On 3/20/2016 at 3:05 PM, FozZ said:

Heh, the other games get regularly played when I have mates over. Great fun. That Joust thing seems dreadful though, but all I could test with.

I said it before but the post was lost in the Great Forum Crash of 2016.  I can't let this go unchallenged.  Johann Sebastian Joust is a masterful multiplayer game which is obviously just too brilliant for you.

So I went to EGX Rezzed today. I wouldn't recommend it, but I did at least get to try PS VR. It was quite disappointing that even with a prebooked slot you basically just got to skip the queue and ended up with one short demo of a game seemingly at random.

They had RIGS, Battlezone, PS VR Worlds, Hypercube, Rez. Disappointingly, no Driveclub VR. They had people sitting in racing chairs to do the London Heist. I really hope they weren't repurposed from the Driveclub VR demos they were doing before they canned Evo.

The headset looks great. Not cheap at all, easy to put on and comfortable. The FOV is okay. You don't have much peripheral vision but it's not tunnel vision either. There's absolutely no screendoor effect, as far as I can tell (or very little) and the resolution is pretty good. Everything is slightly blurry but you can make out text and the like very easily. I had my big glasses on and didn't have any problems with the headset. There was a bit of a gap at the bottom at first but I readjusted and there was no light leak after that.

I enjoyed Battlezone. It controls well and being in the cockpit is very cool, but it's a bit simplistic. I wish I'd had the chance to play more games (I think Rez and Driveclub - if it still exists - are what might truly sell me on it). At the moment I'm pretty happy with the hardware but I'm not sure it's something I want to spend £350 on. 

On 05/04/2016 at 10:06 AM, Xevious said:

I said it before but the post was lost in the Great Forum Crash of 2016.  I can't let this go unchallenged.  Johann Sebastian Joust is a masterful multiplayer game which is obviously just too brilliant for you.

My comment was based on loading it up and just moving the controllers to check they worked being second hand. I'll certainly try it when I have friends over for a gaming night, just doesn't sound like walking about with controllers can be that fun. Surely you can just stand still and no one wins? 

Happy to be proved wrong. 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

Was a bit blurred because of your glasses?

No, it's just down to the resolution of the headset. All the three current big VR headsets are a little bit blurry because of their relatively low resolution and proximity to your eyes.

It's very difficult to explain but despite everything definitely being slightly blurry, there's a "crispness" to everything. I don't know whether that's down to the display being RGB, the refresh rate or quality of lenses, but everything looks quite nice and you soon forget the blurriness. I was happy to see that you don't find yourself struggling to read text or make things out.

I don't think the environment I tried it in did it any favours. I'd imagine on my couch, with heaphones properly on (they had the left one not quite on you so they could talk to you while you were in there) and without the racket of the show going on in the background it would be a much better experience.

I had look at people playing the other games. The biggest takeaway for me was that Vive and Oculus don't have any games I'm interested in playing and they've had lots of negative feedback about how very few of them are "proper" games. In contrast to that, PS VR has by far the best lineup. Everything on display looked quality and the likes of Super Hypercube, Rez and RIGS look like things which people may actually want to play in VR, but I think it's going to be an uphill battle for all involved.

My preorder isn't as definite as it was previously, but I've gone from thinking the PS VR is a cheap alternative to the Oculus and Vive to thinking it's the only one sensible to buy based on its game lineup.