rllmuk
rubberducker

PlayStation VR

This is coming from the move and eye toy guys so I'd imagine them to use the PS4 camera to show positional tracking setups similar to Oculus Rifts Crystal Cove headset, with even maybe wii style controllers for each hand also positionally tracked.

If Driveclub has become a VR game do not expect the visuals to match the game trailers as the fancy lighting etc will have to be scaled back to prob las gen visuals.

Id love to see your evidence for this second part, "prob scaled back to lastgen visuals"... I mean any evidence at all other than your guesses :)

It will need 1080p at 60fps solid... currently there are games doing this on PS4 but with drops so a little scale back will be needed , but to last gen visuals? seems a big stretch...

But hey lets say you are right Mr "not biased towards PC at all" ... lets say we have to scale back to lastgen visuals to achieve 1080p 60fps solid plus motion tracking etc etc... That might be a treat anyway (GTAV at silky 60fps 1080p anyone?)

As for DriveClub... I think its pie in the sky to think that's what they are upto... but if they do we could have the "shiny" version we have seen in normal 2D and the VR scaled back... that's what Evolution did on Motorstorm for the 3D.. if you switched on 3D it scaled back stuff to make it work and if it was off you got maximum shinies... so there is precedent

How hard would it be to make a VR version of Driveclub? It takes the Oculus developers a couple of days to get normal games up and running in VR.

I'd say Sony would be fools not to be doing this, considering how perfect a great driving game would be to show off their new tech.

I'm genuinely quite interested to see what's happening with this, it would explain some of the slightly strange lack of announcements of upcoming stuff and delays to things in a way.

It won't explain those clips of Watch_Dogs looking like Alpha Protocol but still, a VR DriveClub is definitely feasible as a launch title for this as it's potentially quite a 'safe' intro to VR - sit in the car and have a look around but the car control is still on the controller - take off VR hat to go back to normal mode and the car still controls the same. A lot simpler than getting people to go straight into an FPS I'd have thought.

How hard would it be to make a VR version of Driveclub? It takes the Oculus developers a couple of days to get normal games up and running in VR.

I'd say Sony would be fools not to be doing this, considering how perfect a great driving game would be to show off their new tech.

I thought there was already reports from a while back about Driveclub being demo'd with this behind closed doors?

Of the stuff I played on Oculus. The sitting down stuff is by far the most immersive (for obvious reasons). FPS's are too intense when they are just put into VR with any consideration of it. So yeah I think Driveclub would be just a about perfect introduction to VR. And could be its first killer app.

I thought there was already reports from a while back about Driveclub being demo'd with this behind closed doors?

really? what reports. if so fantastic! :)

I am a big 3D fan and so this news is most welcome. The only real issue I have is with the cost considering how much Sony's head mounted displays have cost when entering the market. Also, without the power of an ever expanding PC, I wonder how well the PS4 (if used) would render VR games and as mentioned how much scaling back there would be. A big problem with 3D on PS3 and Xbox 360 was the really crappy output resolution which made the games look pants compared to their PC counterparts.

The VR stuff sounds really cool, I can only imagine how immersive something like Battlefield would be if stuff had real perspective to it. But is there a real market for it? The 3DS has been succesful, but not really on the back of its 3D functions. And the reports of motion sickness after prolonged play might put people off if they are not fixed.

I still want to play with it though. That new Aliens game in develpment could be amazing if integrated with usable VR tech.

3D really isn't in the same ballpark as as proper VR. The 3D we have just had is a gimmick that is at best still a fair ground trick.

Proper VR (when its good, cheap and un-intrusive enough) will change entertainment and how we consume media for good.

And it seems like that is right around the corner.

3D really isn't in the same ballpark as as proper VR. The 3D we have just had is a gimmick that is at best still a fair ground trick.

Proper VR (when its good, cheap and un-intrusive enough) will change entertainment and how we consume media for good.

And it seems like that is right around the corner.

which is great, cos now we can look around corners by turning our head

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm genuinely quite interested to see what's happening with this, it would explain some of the slightly strange lack of announcements of upcoming stuff and delays to things in a way.

I think that's just wishful thinking. Delays to the big games won't be down to the VR, seeing as it supposedly doesn't take that long to stick it onto existing games according to the Oculus Rift people. I think the delays are down to the usual software slippages and the platform holders being a little smoke and mirrors with release dates.

I think that's just wishful thinking. Delays to the big games won't be down to the VR, seeing as it supposedly doesn't take that long to stick it onto existing games according to the Oculus Rift people. I think the delays are down to the usual software slippages and the platform holders being a little smoke and mirrors with release dates.

I was just mentioning it as a possiblity as we've got absolutely no idea but it's not too much of a stretch to think that we've not had that many new game anouncements because they're making a load of VR stuff. They may also not be at all but although there have been some huge cockups by everyone in the console space over the years, considering this was meant to be announced last year, it's a perfectly viable possibility.

I'm not wishing it to be the case as I'd rather they just made games that can perhaps go into VR mode than waste time and effort making some stupid virtual reality pet game which is half what I'm expecting. Either way, we don't know so bring on GDC and Sony unveiling their Virtual Boy :P

It doesn't take long to convert a *PC* game to output two viewports, true. But that's because you can brute force past any performance issues. For a console game (especially one which has previously been seen to be struggling with 60fps, ie Driveclub) it would take a lot of engineering and rework.

Doesn't he mean the fact that there was all that chat a while ago that it was at 30fps and they were 'aiming' for 60?

Yup. Pretty much everyone has said it's running at 30fps. No one has said it will run at 60fps I think. Weren't the 60fps just a rumour as to why they delayed for so long?

Remember it's not quite 1080p x2, because the horizontal resolution is halved.. It's actually just 1080p, but rendering two separate 960x1080 viewports.

Also 30fps ain't very good for VR. Unless you like feeling queasy.

• Upvote 2

Id love to see your evidence for this second part, "prob scaled back to lastgen visuals"... I mean any evidence at all other than your guesses :)

It will need 1080p at 60fps solid... currently there are games doing this on PS4 but with drops so a little scale back will be needed , but to last gen visuals? seems a big stretch...

But hey lets say you are right Mr "not biased towards PC at all" ... lets say we have to scale back to lastgen visuals to achieve 1080p 60fps solid plus motion tracking etc etc... That might be a treat anyway (GTAV at silky 60fps 1080p anyone?)

As for DriveClub... I think its pie in the sky to think that's what they are upto... but if they do we could have the "shiny" version we have seen in normal 2D and the VR scaled back... that's what Evolution did on Motorstorm for the 3D.. if you switched on 3D it scaled back stuff to make it work and if it was off you got maximum shinies... so there is precedent

No need to be defensive, nothing wrong with last gen visuals. I'm playing last gen games* at the moment.

*on PC ;)

Remember it's not quite 1080p x2, because the horizontal resolution is halved.. It's actually just 1080p, but rendering two separate 960x1080 viewports.

Also 30fps ain't very good for VR. Unless you like feeling queasy.

The Atari 3D games the troc used to have ran much slower and they wern't too bad. Not read much on this lately - is the rendering done on the headset or but the PS4?

This has been confirmed by the way, was on gamesindustry.biz or whatever it's called, they are definitely showing it at GDC.

Just annoying I can't go to these things but it will be intriguing to see what they announce with it.

This is from their site in Sept 2013. I hadn't read it before.

"Inside PS4's new VR headset

By Chris Morris

WED 04 SEP 2013 9:40PM GMT / 5:40PM EDT / 2:40PM PDT

HARDWARETECHNOLOGY

Sony's next big peripheral expected for fall 2014 launch, said to be more accurate than Oculus Rift

Sony

Three months ago, Sony made a big splash at E3 touting the PlayStation 4 to the world. At the same time, though, it was already laying the groundwork for another notable consumer technology venture.

As media and buyers got hands on time with the upcoming console and debated the WWE-like theatrics of the Sony and Microsoft press conferences, the company was holding top secret meetings with developers and publishers, showing off a virtual reality headset for the PS4 and drumming up support for it.

Officially, Sony isn't talking about the device, citing its long-standing policy of not commenting on rumor and speculation. But people in the know say the company is making a major push with the technology - even greater than it did with the PlayStation Move three years ago. (Like the Move, the headset will be sold separate from the console.)

The headset (which is not tied to the company's existing Wearable HDTV Personal 3D Viewer, pictured above) uses the PS4's PlayStation Eye camera, like Move did, for head tracking. This, say people who have used it, makes the headset even more accurate than the Oculus Rift - though it does present some aesthetic challenges.

At present, the working prototype for the headset, which select developers currently have in house, looks much like Oculus' better-known VR system - with ping pong balls attached. The design is not expected to be final.

While there have been reports that the system will make its debut at this year's Tokyo Game Show, those appear inaccurate. Sony does not wish to distract buyers in the days leading up to the PS4's launch - and, as yet, there are not enough games that can showcase the technology.

People with knowledge of the product say they believe the headset will launch in the fall of 2014, but that date, too, is subject to change.

While this isn't Sony's first time experimenting with virtual reality, it does appear to be the company's most serious. Several years ago, developers at GDC showcased a prototype game using the Personal 3D Viewer to select members of the media, though no version was ever released for that system. (That could be because the product was expensive and never sold in the North American market.)

The headset could be a differentiator for the PS4 - and could be part of the reason Sony is so aggressively targeting independent developers in the upcoming generation. Microsoft is not believed to be working on similar technology - and Oculus has said its focus with the Rift is PC and mobile technology.

Sony's device will certainly be a rival to Oculus. That company, though, has momentum on its side. After an incredibly successful Kickstarter, which brought in just shy of $2.5 million, Oculus raised $16 million in Series A venture capital led by Spark Capital and Matrix Partners. Sony is a multi-billion dollar conglomerate, but it has been experiencing significant financial hardships in recent years, which could erase some of that financial advantage.

Oculus also has been recruiting high-level developer talent to its roster. A month ago, id Software founder John Carmack signed on to become the company's chief technical officer.

"I believe that VR will have a huge impact in the coming years, but everyone working today is a pioneer," said Carmack at the time. "The paradigms that everyone will take for granted in the future are being figured out today; probably by people reading this message. It's certainly not there yet. There is a lot more work to do, and there are problems we don't even know about that will need to be solved, but I am eager to work on them."

Oculus declined to comment on Sony's headset when contacted by GamesIndustry International.

Sony's push into virtual reality brings to mind its 'jump in with both feet' approach to 3D two years ago. That didn't work out for a number of the same danger factors as VR. Players weren't crazy about wearing the glasses - and the fast-moving 3D images, combined with the fact that gamers blink less than passive TV watchers, resulted in player headaches.

The most significant problem, however, was lack of publisher support. Sony is working hard to ensure that doesn't happen again, making something Jack Tretton, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said at the launch of the PlayStation 3D monitor just as relevant today.

"I think it's a very similar analogy to HD," he noted. "Content will drive adoption."

On the gimmicky add-ons to consoles front, I think a VR headset has to trump the kinnect by some way.

I still think the WiiU's gamepad might just pip it tho ;):P by being not only a gimmicky addon but also pretty lowrent and cheap in design ;)

The VR stuff sounds really cool, I can only imagine how immersive something like Battlefield would be if stuff had real perspective to it.

Imagine a 'servers down' message hovering in front of your nose.