Jump to content

PlayStation VR


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Qazimod said:

 

If you didn’t try Rez Infinite’s VR stuff on PC, that’s worth a look. Wipeout Omega Collection’s also pretty fun, but if you have any VR newbies they might struggle with it.

 

Yeah Rez Infinite I played on Oculus. The fact that Rez shortly came out on PC leads me to believe Tetris will do too, it's a similar sort of production/licence I think where as Astroboy is going to be exclusive forever. Astroboy is a weird one isn't it? Outside of my more hardcore gaming community nobody really knows about it. I've seen no marketing for it at all. Yet it's slowly (only 2 worlds in) becoming my favorite VR game yet, currently that's Superhot for me.

 

I should try Wipeout VR as I'm a fan of the series. I'm just convinced I'll do a few races and then that's it, not due to sickness but more in that my sick skillz will be limited in VR. I can't imagine anyone plays wipeout better in VR than non VR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capwn said:

 

I should try Wipeout VR as I'm a fan of the series. I'm just convinced I'll do a few races and then that's it, not due to sickness but more in that my sick skillz will be limited in VR. I can't imagine anyone plays wipeout better in VR than non VR.

 

Wipeout in VR is much easier to play, my lap times plummeted.  Judging when to turn in to hit the apexes on corners becomes far simpler.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Capwn said:

 

Yeah Rez Infinite I played on Oculus. The fact that Rez shortly came out on PC leads me to believe Tetris will do too, it's a similar sort of production/licence I think where as Astroboy is going to be exclusive forever. Astroboy is a weird one isn't it? Outside of my more hardcore gaming community nobody really knows about it. I've seen no marketing for it at all. Yet it's slowly (only 2 worlds in) becoming my favorite VR game yet, currently that's Superhot for me.

 

I should try Wipeout VR as I'm a fan of the series. I'm just convinced I'll do a few races and then that's it, not due to sickness but more in that my sick skillz will be limited in VR. I can't imagine anyone plays wipeout better in VR than non VR.

 

I’d never heard of Astro Bot and didn’t have PSVR but always fancied one, I used the positive press on here and in general to get convince myself I needed it and I’m pleased I did - wasn’t even the first VR game I played but became my fave and GOTY!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody should try Wipeout - it seems easier in VR and is surprisingly comfortable in VR, especially in the cockpit view.

 

Polybuis is often overlooked - it shouldn’t be - it’s cheap as chips and is still my most played PSVR game.

 

Resi is cheap in the sale - it’s stunning in VR, but probably best to build up your legs first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hardbattle said:

 

Resi is cheap in the sale - it’s stunning in VR, but probably best to build up your legs first.

 

Does it have the same setup as Farpoint? I couldn't take the detachment when moving forwards...I could probably take a game where the vr is more like a free look to the orientation if you see what I mean, rather than the move forwards on the stick direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got round to giving Superhot VR and Arkham VR a go the other day, and they're both wonderful and possibly the best advert for VR I've had so far.

 

Superhot just works (whereas I hated the standard version) and I feel like I'm a combo of Neo and John Wick, Batman had me at the point you get dressed, that was brilliant. In fact I've barely played it beyond that, got hooked on throwing batarangs and kept trying to beat me score.

 

Oh, and what's the trick to throwing thngs effectively in Superhot? Seem to recall there's a decent method of making it work well every time that's not quite intuitive, something to do with when you press/release the throw button?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got this for Xmas like a lot of people and it's wowed us all. Resi 7 and Astro Bot are my faves tho we had a lot of fun with the Ghost House mini game in the playroom demo.

 

Last night I settled down to play Astro Bot and reached the first beach level, it looked so amazing that I just sat there in VR at the start of the level sipping my Xmas Baileys and enjoying that my living room has been transformed into a cartoon beach with palm tree's and beautiful seas, was a real gaming moment that.

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids are amazed by the wildlife tour in VR worlds. My youngest just sat in awe as the jellyfish swam past her. 

 

It's incredibly impressive tech. I'm amazed at the cost of the Aim Controller here though - especially on ebay. 

 

That said, we have Move controllers and haven't even tried them yet!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like the idea of live remixing music, then I’d definitely recommend Electronauts (which is from the same devs who made Sprint Vector and Creed). There are 40 music tracks, and you have access to the stems of each section which you can mute/unmute on the fly, add FX, play with vocals, drum on ‘orbs’ using the Moves, record little sequences, and then arrange the song how you want and suchlike. It’s really fun but a bit hard to explain, as you’re in front of 3 very Sci-Fi looking decks where you can swap in and out various futuristic devices to play with the attributes of each song. Currently only £7-ish on the PlayStation Store.

 

It’s easier to grasp the concept by watching a video. Here’s PSVR Frank reviewing the game on YouTube: 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, stefcha said:

 

Oh, and what's the trick to throwing thngs effectively in Superhot? Seem to recall there's a decent method of making it work well every time that's not quite intuitive, something to do with when you press/release the throw button?

 

Hold the move button, ‘push’ in the direction you want the object to go and release the move button to let go (before you complete the entire motion). Think of it like pushing a car along the floor and releasing it at the end of the push. 

 

It is really weird to be honest.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I'd have a look at Deracine to play on my new PSVR. Looked on the store and it's on sale, £16, brilliant. Oh, what's that, move controllers required? OK, let's look those up... £55 each? And you need two?

 

Turns out I'm not that bothered about Deracine after all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the reason why I haven't played Beat Saber yet.

 

Last call for anyone thinking about buying one - 15% off the 5 game mega pack bundle for £180-ish on ebay. Astro Bot's worth it alone, but Wiperout's great and Doom and Skyrim probably aren't bad choices either. That's a bargain for a lot of goodness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

 

Hold the move button, ‘push’ in the direction you want the object to go and release the move button to let go (before you complete the entire motion). Think of it like pushing a car along the floor and releasing it at the end of the push. 

 

It is really weird to be honest.

 

I still can’t throw reliably. Just like in real life!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dug said:

I thought I'd have a look at Deracine to play on my new PSVR. Looked on the store and it's on sale, £16, brilliant. Oh, what's that, move controllers required? OK, let's look those up... £55 each? And you need two?

 

Turns out I'm not that bothered about Deracine after all.

 

 

It should be £55 for the pair - I got lucky and got a pair of the ps3 ones in the charging dock for £20 from a local 2nd hand shop. Might be worth asking around or keeping an eye on fb marketplace as a lot of folk don't realise they are one and the same. 

 

Anyway I got Astro Bot for Christmas and it's fucking marvellous. At one point I slowly turned my head to the right to be greeted by a screen filling giant plant who as soon as I made eye contact with  smiled back. I haven't laughed so hard in ages. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else tried Diner Duo? I picked it up in the sale and the best way to describe it is a mix between job simulator and overcooked.

 

The main fun comes from playing as 2 player, with one person on VR using move controllers prepping the food, with the other person taking the orders. It starters easy enough but like overcooked the challenge comes from trying to keep on top of the orders between the two of you.

 

Definitely worth a buy if looking for a two player game (a favourite of my daughter).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As the owner of a VIVE I really never expected that much from the PS VR. And hence never tried or used one until this Christmas.

 

HOLY SHIT! It’s great and I soo easy to use.  I actually much prefer the optics over the vive and cant see much or any screen door. I also find the tracking of the headset much more reliable. 

 

And I’m blown away by the games. Astrobot is the VR game I having been waiting for and is like having your own huge digital playground. And all this for £150.. everyone should have one - and genuinely surprised at how great it is.

 

Next question... I have one old move controller from my PS3. Is it worth it to get another for this? And for which games?

  • Upvote 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Moves are part of the immersion that elevate games like Skyrim into truly new experiences. PSVR blew me away but It wasn't until Skyrim later in the year that I realised part of the puzzle had been missing. 

 

So that's 100% yes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AlonzoUK said:

Anyone else tried Diner Duo? I picked it up in the sale and the best way to describe it is a mix between job simulator and overcooked.

 

 

 

Yeah it's a great game for both players, which isn't an easy trick to pull off when trying to do an "Inside/outside VR" thing. I think it's something that should be explored more in games.

 

Another great example is "Keep talking and no-one explodes".

 

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

As the owner of a VIVE I really never expected that much from the PS VR. And hence never tried or used one until this Christmas.

 

HOLY SHIT! It’s great and I soo easy to use.  I actually much prefer the optics over the vive and cant see much or any screen door. I also find the tracking of the headset much more reliable. 

 

Now that's interesting, I'm a vive user who keeps glancing at PS VR for Tetris, Astro Bot and Wipeout.  So far my brain has been able to stop me literally buying 2 VR sets but that's damned useful information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

 

 

Next question... I have one old move controller from my PS3. Is it worth it to get another for this? And for which games?

 

Everyone’s financial situation is different but moves are worth it for Superhot (which is an essential purchase in my opinion) and Beat Saber. It also means you can play Batman and a number of games, such as Skyrim, which are just more immersive with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished Astro Bot last night, what an amazing game, it's reminds me of Jungle beat crossed with a really good theme park ride, the last two bosses were amazing, this game understands how to use scale in VR, stunning stuff.

 

So many moments from the giant glowing mushrooms in the cave level, to going underwater for the first time, all the bosses, the last two especially, the beanstalk, the footballs, I could go on and on about how good this game is and VR just elevates it even further.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now all the family stuff is done for Christmas I have some time to put into VR.

With all the deals and stuff floating around I have a fair old backlog to go at.

 

Yesterday I tried:

 

One Piece Grand thingy. More of an experience thing with a pretty ropey arcade style shooting gallery tagged on. Good fun if you like the franchise but worth no more than the £6 I paid.

 

Surgeon Simulator. No idea how to actually succeed in this but had great fun pulling out organs and throwing them as far as I could then smacking the patient in the bonce with a hammer. The mrs thinks I’m a serial killer now after hearing the laughs and checking out what I was up to on the telly.

 

Aerowings. Think Pilotwings but in VR. Brilliant use of the moves to actually flip switches, pull levers and do the joystick. Pretty basic visuals and slow to start with but I imagine the faster planes will be unlockable. Done this with no shuttering or VR assists and had no nausea or adverse reactions so guess I’m getting my VR legs.

 

Eagle Flight. Seems pleasant enough but didn’t grab me, will go back to it.

 

Polybius. Does for Minter Tempest style games what Rez Infinite did. Very immersive, a riot of colour and definitely a “flow” game. 

 

Wipeout. FUCK MY OLD BOOTS! This game is utterly amazing, drop everything and grab it now while it’s cheap, the best VR experience I’ve had yet in terms of a complete game which you can invest some time into. Again no shuttering and all VR assists off, made me feel a bit off to start then I got used to it. 

 

Still got Resi 7 and Skyrim to try and I must go back to finish Astro Bot. I also picked up Star Wars Battlefront for £3 just to check out the VR mission together with Gran Turismo which was peanuts.

 

What a time to be alive!

  • Upvote 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I'm surprised Sony seem so relunctant to sell the Moves, it's like they made 1 and a half sets and thought "Yeah that'll do".

 

they should feel ashamed. Charging full price for 10 year old tech. Still, they did eventually get around to retooling them with microUSB ports, so...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.