PlayStation VR

rubberducker

11 hours ago, harbey said:

Seriously considering getting me some VR action after trying to pursued myself that I don't really need it. Can anyone recommend a good deal / bundle? I was looking at this one but I'm not sure if it's the version 2 headset - anybody know?

It'll be a v1. Considering I bought my replacement PSVR last week for £249 and it was the solus unit, that's an incredible deal... You'd be bonkers not to. 

Thanks for the advice. It does seem a great deal but I'm a bit put off by the all the cables you get with the MK1. Other than that, is there much difference?

Not to worry - I found this to explain the difference.

Edited by harbey
Extra info

Maybe old news...

Two new patents filed by Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) suggest that a new motion-controller could be on the way, specifically designed to boost the interactive nature of the company’s virtual reality (VR) platform, PlayStation VR. Not only does this potential revision of the existing PlayStation Move controller add an analog stick – a much requested feature of the PlayStation VR community – but also finger tracking technology.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/01/sony-patents-reveal-new-motion-controller-technologies/

I still don't have the old ones because everything I play works okay with DS4... (Sprint Vector may convince me)

2 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Maybe old news...

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/01/sony-patents-reveal-new-motion-controller-technologies/

I still don't have the old ones because everything I play works okay with DS4... (Sprint Vector may convince me)

I've had the VR since launch and only yesterday did I realise I've been doing something wrong....

So I never understood why Batman had such specific calibration requirements compared to other games. Basically when I've tried to play it seated it just doesn't work, there's always problems trying to reach for objects when seated. Other games (rush of blood, Ultrawings) have a similar issue but not to the same extent.

Yesterday I stuck an office chair in the middle of the room in front of the sofa and its made a world of difference.  I know this sounds silly with hindsight but the movie controllers are not designed to be played on a sofa.  Whilst it is obvious that sitting on a sofa means that you have the armrests getting in the way, what I didn't realise is that if you move to the centre of the sofa the seats are still getting in the way like the armrests do.  

Sitting in an office chair without arms, of even just a stool allows you to put the move controllers down and to the sides of you, below bum height if needed.  So yesterday I played through the London Heist, Batman and a few other Move games, and every one of them had me smashing previous scores, feeling Mich more immersed. 

The London Heist for example went much more "Time Crisis", as I was manually ducking my head, aiming and shooting through spaces in the scenery, and reacting quickly to turn and shoot, hitting the target first time each time.

So that's the top tip, which everyone else probably worked out a year ago, if you play a seated game with Move controllers your sofa is spoiling it for you. Get a stool or an office chair with no arms and feel the difference, its massive.

50 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Batman's not a seated game, btw.

Except you can choose seated or standing in the options menu. You can also place how high or low your belt is to help with not trying to push your hands through cushions to reach it.

4 hours ago, dumpster said:

I've had the VR since launch and only yesterday did I realise I've been doing something wrong....

So I never understood why Batman had such specific calibration requirements compared to other games. Basically when I've tried to play it seated it just doesn't work, there's always problems trying to reach for objects when seated. Other games (rush of blood, Ultrawings) have a similar issue but not to the same extent.

Yesterday I stuck an office chair in the middle of the room in front of the sofa and its made a world of difference.  I know this sounds silly with hindsight but the movie controllers are not designed to be played on a sofa.  Whilst it is obvious that sitting on a sofa means that you have the armrests getting in the way, what I didn't realise is that if you move to the centre of the sofa the seats are still getting in the way like the armrests do.  

Sitting in an office chair without arms, of even just a stool allows you to put the move controllers down and to the sides of you, below bum height if needed.  So yesterday I played through the London Heist, Batman and a few other Move games, and every one of them had me smashing previous scores, feeling Mich more immersed. 

The London Heist for example went much more "Time Crisis", as I was manually ducking my head, aiming and shooting through spaces in the scenery, and reacting quickly to turn and shoot, hitting the target first time each time.

So that's the top tip, which everyone else probably worked out a year ago, if you play a seated game with Move controllers your sofa is spoiling it for you. Get a stool or an office chair with no arms and feel the difference, its massive.

Great tip, thanks. Apart from Superhot (played standing) I've been using my sofa and reaching for stuff downwards has always been patchy.

7 hours ago, harbey said:

Thanks for the advice. It does seem a great deal but I'm a bit put off by the all the cables you get with the MK1. Other than that, is there much difference?

Not to worry - I found this to explain the difference.

That's just what I needed. Although I'm loving my VR games a few things have been bugging me about the V1 design:

- the earphone socket is in a terrible place. No matter where I put the earphone cable, either under the arm or over the shoulder, it snags from time to time and brings me out of the experience.

- the heavy cables are similarly snaggy. There's also a connector piece (not the passthrough box) that is about six inches off the floor (when standing) which pulls on the headset due to its weight. I'm average height and I can't believe Sony didn't make the cable going into this over six feet in length to prevent.

- The amount of gubbins in general puts me off wanting to set it up when I want a quick blast.

I'm going to try swap mine for a V2 this week. Looks like all these issues are resolved.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Played Resi 7 finally. Moving felt very unpleasant at first. Shut my eyes for a lot of it. But I turned on the orientation guides and got used to it. Then the game itself got kind of unpleasant to play in VR on account of wandering around a creepy house. Bailed at the first save point.

Played for an hour. Feel a bit sick. :mellow:

This is the 4-5th time I’ve played and I can never tolerate it for long and feel weird as fuck afterwards.

Don't force it. An hour is probably too long to play if you feel that movement is still uncomfortable.

Resi 7 is one of the most extreme games for motion sickness, but it will pass if you take it easy.

Just finished Batman VR. I'm constantly impressed by Rocksteady's output. I know it's short but what a fantastic implementation of VR. It's the only VR game to my knowledge that allows you to carry, contain and take items from your person (via the utility belt) and this really adds to the sense of immersion.

I know it's sounds a bit daft but I found walking on the spot really helped me to feel connected to the world too.

This kind of game is really important because it suggests VR experiences can be very creative, not just Time Crisis / rollercoaster simulators.

Statik is next on my list.

15 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

This kind of game is really important because it suggests VR experiences can be very creative, not just Time Crisis / rollercoaster simulators.

If they did Time Crisis I'd never leave the house again.

I was playing Daytona last week for the first time in a while and thought that there's a lot of older games that would be amazing in VR.

52 minutes ago, dumpster said:

If they did Time Crisis I'd never leave the house again.

I was playing Daytona last week for the first time in a while and thought that there's a lot of older games that would be amazing in VR.

I'd love Split Second to get a VR remake.

Imagine what drifting whilst avoiding the giant collapsing scenery would feel like. 

On 28/01/2018 at 15:21, BubbleFish said:

Are there any UK stores selling the new version of the headset yet? I can't find any specifically stating they do so I'm assuming they're all the v1.

V2's have been out here since after Black Friday. 

21 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Played Resi 7 finally. Moving felt very unpleasant at first. Shut my eyes for a lot of it. But I turned on the orientation guides and got used to it. Then the game itself got kind of unpleasant to play in VR on account of wandering around a creepy house. Bailed at the first save point.

Played for an hour. Feel a bit sick. :mellow:

This is the 4-5th time I’ve played and I can never tolerate it for long and feel weird as fuck afterwards.

How are you with static/non-movement games? I find these much more pleasant and tolerable.

I still haven't gotten used to in-game movement. Struggled through half of the 'Scavengers Odyssey' VR Worlds game before I had to stop with motion sickness / dizziness (there's a lot of jumping/flipping in low gravity, to be fair). Thankfully it's not a long game so I'll get through it, but I'm glad I haven't bought anything like Skyrim, as my inner ear just can't seem to get on with virtual movement. :(

If "VR Legs" are a thing, I'm probably not playing often enough to develop them.

On 28/01/2018 at 15:21, BubbleFish said:

Are there any UK stores selling the new version of the headset yet? I can't find any specifically stating they do so I'm assuming they're all the v1.

There are bundles on the Game web site that specifically mention you're getting a V2 headset. Bought one last week. It seems that they all come with a V2 camera and a PlayStation VR Worlds download code as standard.