PlayStation VR

5 minutes ago, Willow said:

Thinking of buying one.

Anyone with a pretty poor history of travel sickness (cars, boats etc) get on alright with this?

I am susceptible to travel sickness on busses and cars in the back sometimes. The only PSVR title that has made me feel ill so far was Scavenger's Odyssey.

Edit: not played Driveclub VR or RIGs which I think are supposed to be the worst.

20 hours ago, Flub said:

Polybius is a great one because you sit at a fixed position behind your ship.

Exactly. It looks bonkers and a sure thing to make you feel sick, but the fixed perspective, native resolution and 120 FPS make it one of the most comfortable PSVR experiences there is. It’s actually somewhere I like to go to chill out...

1 hour ago, Willow said:

Thinking of buying one.

Anyone with a pretty poor history of travel sickness (cars, boats etc) get on alright with this?

Sounds just like me. I still get sick going on kids roundabouts. VR is slightly different in that as long as you stop playing as soon as you start feeling sweaty/too hot you should be ok. Take the helmet straight off, have a drink, a bit of fresh air and you’ll be good to go in 20 mins, this time for longer. All of a sudden it becomes a non-issue - vr-legs kinda creep up on you.

Day off, so I had a few more goes on the headset. Statik in the morning, three sessions on Rez in the afternoon (taking at least an hour break after each area). No queasiness until area 4 which I had to quit near the end - something about the corridors in that one felt off.

This evening I couldn't resist another quick bash on Skyrim (I can't help it!). The wolves are fucking huge. The rivers look amazing rushing past over the rocks. I felt much more comfortable moving around but still stopped after fifteen minutes or so. No queasiness, but my eyes felt a bit sore, like I'd been watching TV with my eyes pressed right up to the screen ... 

... which is kind of what using a VR headset is, I guess? Perhaps that accounts for much of the eye discomfort, other than motion sickness. Does the vague eye ache subside with experience? I'm taking it slowly.

Sorry, I don't meant to live-blog the thread like this but I've gone on for another quick session of Skyrim and for the first time I'm unable to play because the lenses keep fogging up. It's not my breath - I learned how to stop that happening the first time I used it - but I think it's the heat of my head inside the headset. A few seconds after putting it on things start fogging up and when I remove it there's a thin kind of condensation over the lenses, little beads of it. I'm pretty warm, as is the room, if that's another thing I have to mitigate to play this.

This is without question the most high maintenance gaming device I have ever experienced. It has turned me into deKay.

If anyone is interested in GT Sport then it's currently 24.99 (50%) off in the Black Friday sale on PSN.

PSVR Worlds is 12.49 (50%) off, and Star Trek Bridge Crew is 19.99 (also 50% off). Batman is 9.59 (50% off).

I'm tempted by GT Sport primarily because I could do with a track based driving game on the PS4. However the VR mode is a bonus and I think that it's likely to get added to over time and I can't see it being cheaper than £25 again for a while.

Highly tempted by GT even though I had promised myself I wasn't spending any more money on toys for myself until after Christmas (with the possible exception of a driving game...)

Is there a reduction for Driveclub VR?

Batman is basically just a concept demo right? That's what I seem to remember thinking when it came out - I guess there's a tenner worth of entertainment there, though?

What about Bridge Crew? Is that more of a fully fledged game? Does it support online multiplayer (something I'm missing in my VR library right now). 

Does GT support online multiplayer in VR? I know the VR mode is supposedly very limited from what people have said. Just one-on-one on a choice of 2 tracks, right? What's the choice of cars like?

Is it generally expected that this is going to be expanded? I can see them adding one new VR track or car per DLC, or something. 

bridge crew is very much multiplayer, better with real people

batman has some replay value,  given all the riddler puzzles, and whatnot.

GT sport is... well, "The VR mode in GT Sport is limited to 1v1 racing against the AI offline"

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/10/gran-turismo-sport-hdr-vr/

While you can select from any racetrack in the game for a VR race, you cannot adjust opponent difficulty... and you cannot race against more than one opponent...

That's doubly awful once you consider how much GTS automatically assists drivers who dare enter the VR racing cockpit...

none of your progress or effort in VR Arcade mode pays off with in-game currencies like experience points, miles driven, or in-game currency...

so yeah, don't buy it FOR the VR experience...

15 hours ago, Pug said:

You need a switch that handles HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2.

I was fruitless in my search for one back when the PSVR launched, haven't looked since.

15 hours ago, Marvellous Chester said:

what you mean is you didn't want to pay more than £15, am i right?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SMARTOOO-23031-60Hz-HDMI-Switcher/dp/B06XCS9CGB

12 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Sorry, I don't meant to live-blog the thread like this but I've gone on for another quick session of Skyrim and for the first time I'm unable to play because the lenses keep fogging up. It's not my breath - I learned how to stop that happening the first time I used it - but I think it's the heat of my head inside the headset. A few seconds after putting it on things start fogging up and when I remove it there's a thin kind of condensation over the lenses, little beads of it. I'm pretty warm, as is the room, if that's another thing I have to mitigate to play this.

This is without question the most high maintenance gaming device I have ever experienced. It has turned me into deKay.

Are you me? Literally every single issue you have reported with the headset I had too. But yes, I had this. I found after about 10 minutes or so it would go away but until then I was having to wipe down the lenses every couple of minutes. Didn't really see many people complain about it so I just assumed I had an abnormally warm face or something.

If you have any interest in real life motorsports, and you love VR, you will love the GTS VR component. It's a track experience though, not a game - and no you don't want to buy it just for that alone.

You can use any track and any car though, its not as limited as you heard.