PlayStation VR

55 minutes ago, watusi said:

So how does the eye to eye measurement work between different users? Is it tied into a profile or do you need to remeasure if some else is using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it's tied to profiles. It would be great if something like Keep Talking could enable you to switch profiles depending on the current player, while not meaning you're then on their save. At the moment, PSVR isn't at all well set up for swapping the headset around in a party environment. That may change if they make changing the IPD an easy slider, rather than using the comparatively laborious camera picture method.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

My PSVR order with Very.co.uk is still showing as due for delivery sometime in March which I was happy to wait for.....however Curry's seem to have just got stock and I am having one delivered TOMORROW!!! 

Unfortunalty the camera is out of stock so I need to find one of those in store somewhere tomorrow.  In the meantime I guess I just download the US and UK demo's and purchase Until Dawn and Rez that should do me for the weekend? (I already have 2 move controllers charged and ready to go!)

Is it not possible to just head over to ShopTo and order the whole caboodle at any time and have it delivered within a couple of days? It looks in stock there always. Are there really shortages? Is Santa gonna dun goof at Christmas or what?

We live out in the middle of nowhere but I have already had out my Dad, the in-laws and two mates to have a go. The three oldies had never played a game in their lives. All three just sat there going "Wow. This is ridiculous!" Etc. None of course will buy one. My mates were blown away by Batman and Rez. "That's mental." "That's amazing." Both are exclusive Boners. Neither will buy one. Next week I'm taking it into work. I'm equally not expecting it to cause anyone who tries it to buy one.

I'm doing my bit to share the love. But I wonder how many amazed family and friend testers are genuine future purchasers.

33 minutes ago, jonamok said:

We live out in the middle of nowhere but I have already had out my Dad, the in-laws and two mates to have a go. The three oldies had never played a game in their lives. All three just sat there going "Wow. This is ridiculous!" Etc. None of course will buy one. My mates were blown away by Batman and Rez. "That's mental." "That's amazing." Both are exclusive Boners. Neither will buy one. Next week I'm taking it into work. I'm equally not expecting it to cause anyone who tries it to buy one.

I'm doing my bit to share the love. But I wonder how many amazed family and friend testers are genuine future purchasers.

Its not like the wii where you could go out as a non gamer and spend a couple of hundred quid and be set, £700+ to get going is a hell of a barrier to entry to most no matter how impressive it is.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Wiper said:

I have to strongly disagree. I've really been enjoying RIGS, but I found the head-tracking-based turning to be really distracting - turning when I didn't want to. As with @geldra I switched to stick steering and haven't looked back since, and it's caused me no problems; the only times I get any queasy sensations in the game are when dropping a long height while looking down, when I get the fun rollercoaster lurch sensation.

It clearly isn't suitable for a lot of people, but removing it as an option entirely seems a bit premature when it isn't a problem for everyone. Certainly I'd be a lot less happy if I were forced to use combined aiming and turning via head tracking!

Yeah, to be fair there should always be as many options as possible (and I haven't even tried Rigs yet). Just with most stuff I prefer head or body turning in comparison to twisting via the stick but the key with VR is different things work for different people so having lots of different options can only be a good thing.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

Its not like the wii where you could go out as a non gamer and spend a couple of hundred quid and be set, £700+ to get going is a hell of a barrier to entry to most no matter how impressive it is.

Of course. But if someone had shown to me what I showed to my mates, I'd have had my Bone on eBay already and be ordering the necessary. Everyone's mileage does vary.

• Upvote 1

@Slartibartfast did you sort yourself some headphones yet? I'd recommend these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002VPDOH8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477696498&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=sennheiser+px+100+iii&dpPl=1&dpID=41jC3YMrs8L&ref=plSrch

They're equivalent to the rift headphones, in terms of size & performance. 

Same price in store at John Lewis if you want them in a hurry :)

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Yeah, to be fair there should always be as many options as possible (and I haven't even tried Rigs yet). Just with most stuff I prefer head or body turning in comparison to twisting via the stick but the key with VR is different things work for different people so having lots of different options can only be a good thing.

Oh yeah, offering multiple options where possible/appropriate is definitely the way to do things - while I prefer stick control, I'm glad that RIGS has the option for head turning for people who get on with that better!

46 minutes ago, dood said:

@Slartibartfast did you sort yourself some headphones yet? I'd recommend these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002VPDOH8/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477696498&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=sennheiser+px+100+iii&dpPl=1&dpID=41jC3YMrs8L&ref=plSrch

They're equivalent to the rift headphones, in terms of size & performance. 

Same price in store at John Lewis if you want them in a hurry :)

Oh, this reminds me that I've been surprised to discover that by far the most comfortable headphones I have to use with PSVR are my ancient (12 year old) AKG K240 monitors; that is to say, these full-size over-ear headphones:

AKG 240 cropped.png

I'd assumed their size would make them get in the way of the headset, but in fact they're ideal: the top of the cushion just hooks under the headset band on both sides (i.e. the rim of the cushion sits between head and headset band), which helps to keep the headset more steadily in place, while the headphones actually exert slightly less pressure on my ears than normal thanks to the headset taking some of the pressure, meaning I can actually wear them for longer with the headset on than without.

The only downside is that, as they're monitor headphones designed for plugging into a line-out, they're pretty quiet at the best of times, and while the top volume on the PSVR splitter is high enough for me, you'll never be able to blast your eardrums out with this combination of headphone and source.

1 hour ago, Napole0n said:

You can, just put a cheap Behringer headphone amp between the unit and the headphones. I also have AKGs, the K240 mk Ii and the K712 Pro. Great stuff.

Something like this for example: http://www.dv247.com/headphones/behringer-amp800-miniamp-ultra-compact-stereo-headphone-amplifier--34071

Hey Nap. Welcome back!

What's the point in adding a headphone amp?

8 hours ago, Wiper said:

Oh yeah, offering multiple options where possible/appropriate is definitely the way to do things - while I prefer stick control, I'm glad that RIGS has the option for head turning for people who get on with that better!

Oh, this reminds me that I've been surprised to discover that by far the most comfortable headphones I have to use with PSVR are my ancient (12 year old) AKG K240 monitors; that is to say, these full-size over-ear headphones:

AKG 240 cropped.png

I'd assumed their size would make them get in the way of the headset, but in fact they're ideal: the top of the cushion just hooks under the headset band on both sides (i.e. the rim of the cushion sits between head and headset band), which helps to keep the headset more steadily in place, while the headphones actually exert slightly less pressure on my ears than normal thanks to the headset taking some of the pressure, meaning I can actually wear them for longer with the headset on than without.

The only downside is that, as they're monitor headphones designed for plugging into a line-out, they're pretty quiet at the best of times, and while the top volume on the PSVR splitter is high enough for me, you'll never be able to blast your eardrums out with this combination of headphone and source.

3 hours ago, Napole0n said:

You can, just put a cheap Behringer headphone amp between the unit and the headphones. I also have AKGs, the K240 mk Ii and the K712 Pro. Great stuff.

Something like this for example: http://www.dv247.com/headphones/behringer-amp800-miniamp-ultra-compact-stereo-headphone-amplifier--34071

Have you tried you K712 pro?

Both posts give me hope my Philips X2 will be a good combo with the headset, I thought they would be too big and get in the way!

I didn't see this posted yet but apologies if I missed it - Sony comment on drift:

PS VR: Fixing picture drift

What to do if the picture has moved to one side.

If you notice that the screen has drifted to one side while playing PS VR compatible games in VR mode or while playing non-VR games or watching video through the PS VR headset in Cinematic mode you can avoid or fix this by following these suggestions.

Picture drift while in Cinematic mode

If the screen shifts to one side, press and hold the Options button on your DualShock 4 wireless controller to re-centre the screen.

For more information about Cinematic mode see our Cinematic Mode article.

Picture drift while in VR mode

If your DualShock 4 wireless controller is connected to your PS4 system with the charging cable, this can sometimes interfere with the PlayStation Camera's view of the light bar. Play wirelessly to stop this issue.

•  Recommended distance from camera for play is approximately 1.5 m – 2.0 m (5 – 7ft).
  •  Place the camera in a vibration-free location.
  •  Adjust the height, direction, and angle of the camera.
  •  Play directly in front of the camera.

https://www.playstation.com/en-in/get-help/help-library/playstation-vr/getting-started/ps-vr--fixing-picture-drift/

15 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I didn't see this posted yet but apologies if I missed it - Sony comment on drift:

Hmmmmm, not exactly an acknowledgement of there being an issue to fix, specifically with cinematic mode. 

After finally playing through to the end of Batman this morning I've decided that if David Lynch ever decides to make a VR experience it'll be both the best and the worst thing ever. I love his films but I don't think there's any way my heart could take it.

50 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

It's arrived! 

Do I still need to sort out a US account to get the most demos?

Now off to argos to get my camera and then I'm going in! 

No US Account needed, the full demo download is on the EU store.

16 minutes ago, Coolcongo said:

Which would people recommend out of rigs or battlezone. 

Try the demos and see which you like best (bearing in mind that they are both just demos - RIGS demo has been criticised for throwing you straight into the action instead of being the tutorial in the main game).