IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Hmm... maybe it was the 360?  I'm sure I played it after the PS2.

Yep, it came out on XBLA. If you're a fan of Rez there's enough to recommend in Infinite; even without Area X the sensation of being "in" that classic gameworld is ace; bits like the running man chase and the Area 3 pre-boss sequence are immense. :) 

I'm not sure if this is just a me thing, or a brain thing, but I seem to have become somewhat desensitised to the VR effect somehow. Almost as if the depth or 3D portion has faded a bit. Not sure if it's just the wonder wearing off, or if it's something that over time your brain compensates for.  

3 hours ago, catinthehat said:

I've pretty much rinsed Batman now, over about 6 hours of repeated play.  So now I need to buy my second game.  I'm thinking probably Rez or Thumper, something with some longevity.  Or maybe, just maybe, Rigs.

I loved the Thumper demo, but is there any more to it?  I appreciate it gets faster and harder, but is that all?  Are the other levels different in any way?

I played Rez to death on the DC and again on the PS3.  I wasn't blown away by the VR demo, but I never really liked that bit of the game much anyway.  Is it wonderful?

Just to be helpful, I'm going to praise two of the games you're asking about...

Re: Thumper, I never played the demo, but I'm assuming it's the first stage (or part thereof); the game introduces new mechanics as it advances, so while you start off only having to thump on single points and move with turns, as things go on you start having to chain that with sections that you have to charge through, sections you have to fly over, beats you have to hit by dropping down out of flight, multi-lane areas... it builds up and up in complexity, it doesn't just get faster.

Re: Rez Infinite, well...

(contains footage of the opening of Area X from 6:15 to the end, so if you don't want to see that you might want to stop it there)

In summary, Thumper and Rez Infinite are both brilliant.

Thanks all. Rez is going to have to wait, as I bought Thumper now and I don't like having too many games on the go at once. Hell, I'd even be tempted to order the physical copy at this rate if it wasn't so damned expensive to ship. 

Not home until late tonight, but looking forward to getting stuck in to Thumper over the weekend. 

I must have VR legs finally. Playing RIGS with all comfort settings off and head turn speed up a few notches. I get vertigo when I'm being dropped into the arena but its the good sort of vertigo. A thrill rather than "oh fuck I'm going to throw up". 

1 hour ago, vezna said:

I must have VR legs finally. Playing RIGS with all comfort settings off and head turn speed up a few notches. I get vertigo when I'm being dropped into the arena but its the good sort of vertigo. A thrill rather than "oh fuck I'm going to throw up". 

Finding your VR legs is great, but for me at least it still doesn't remover physical sensations, but as you say instead just stops me feeling ill from them. On the Climb on the Rift I still get occasional vertigo, but it's exciting and adds to the presence of the game.

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

I'm going to continue using the headset, maybe buy a couple of games over the next week but I'm beginning to ask myself if I was to sell it could I do without it?

Probably. And then some incredible game comes along.

1 hour ago, siread said:

Probably. And then some incredible game comes along.

I'll see how I feel at the end of next month once the pro is out and some other games. There's not a lot of bad thing to say about it ,it's cool shit but I'm not sure I would miss it ,for stupid reasons.

If your gonna play VR you kinda have to say all of the following

"I'm going to play a game and take time to put the headset and headphones on"

"I'm not going out so I don't care if my hair gets fucked up"

"My eyes aren't tired"

"I don't already have a headache"

"I'm not sure about the long term effects on my inner ear but I don't care"

Thats not something you get from the previous world of "might just have a game of rocket league"

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

But what about my hair!

Until you play the Vive or Rift for a few hours after a day of developing where you're taking the Rift on/off every ten minutes, you can keep your complaints :P I look like I've been dragged through a hedge when I get home. The PSVR is the most hair friendly of the big 3 by a long shot! 

So yeah, this is great. Ocean descent actually blew my mind a little, that first moment of going down made my body feel weird - it's a shame I can't play the other two parts without seemingly buying the entire VR Worlds and the rest of the games didn't really do much for me. Rez blew my mind a lot. I've played that game on a few systems over the course of a decade and to be able to look behind me as a boss gave chase was, well, hard to explain. It was like playing one of my favourite games and then suddenly getting sucked into the TV screen and being inside it. Haven't even played Area X yet. I am a little disappointed by the image quality on a lot of the games. I wasn't expecting miracles but it can get quite blurry/jaggy, I'll have to play around with the settings and see if I can make it better. 

There was an interactive short story that I enjoyed (can't remember the name), it was a bit like a clay animation. Anyway, being able to peer right into rooms and arounds corners at every conceivable angle was great - my girlfriend loved that one. 

Now I just need to find some Move controllers. 

Had a quick go on the Godzilla type game in Playroom VR yesterday.

The 3D and sense of actually being there is astounding in that game.

Bashing the buildings with your head, checking out the little men of the TV players, going up into space at the end after being shot, great stuff.

Things I learnt from my first hour with Thumper:

- My thumb hurts. 

- You can cheat your way to an S rank using checkpoint restarts. 

- Doing that will fuck up your score (and rightly so!). 

- My eyes and brain also hurt. 

- This is going to amazing. 

- @spatular is way better at this than me. Rank #13 on level 1? Nice. 

Great recommendation, thanks all. 

So it seems that you can connect the PSVR to the PS4 as normal, but with the headset HDMI lead (only) connected to a PC, then change the display settings on the PC to support the headset as a duplicate screen. The processor box enables cinema mode so by plugging the headset into the PC instead of the box bypasses this .

This means you can watch side by side videos in 3d, your 3D blurays and should open the door to playing Dolphin emulated Wii and GameCube games in full 3D.  

Only problem with this is the number of devices and wires. I feel that you get so immersed and end up dragging your laptop off the table.

25 minutes ago, Thread Astaire said:

Surely Khhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn! ?

In other news I get my headset delivered today at 4pm!!! I live work at 5 :D

Wooo, earlier than you thought? Didn't you say like December?

I'm gonna be on mine a bit this weekend.

I did try out playing PS1 games through the PS3 to the PSVR and it's pretty darn fun :D I think because of the resolution not being so great anyway it just works :)