PlayStation VR

rubberducker

10 minutes ago, Brother Tendo said:

I had a go on a first edition Oculus dev kit and felt really ill. Have they improved the technology in current VR headsets since?

Massively so. Resolution aside, the most important difference is that all three headsets track your head position as well as what direction you're looking, which the DK1 did not. That alone should help a great deal with motion sickness, although your mileage may vary on how susceptible you are in general.

Just played Robot Rescue again, oh my fuck we neeed a mario game done like this.... Just Mario 64 done like it would be perfection. Mario Galaxy would blow my mind to bits. Can't wait to play the 2+ player games with the girls. Still waiting for my delivery of VR Worlds though....

OH! MY! GOD!!!

First VR "experience"... Eve Valkyrie demo.

This is shit is fucking astounding! 

Even the 360 title screen had me giggling in amazement! 

Its a farcically short demo but you get the launch sequence, which is pretty much all I needed. But just being IN that cockpit, holy fucking shit!!!

My only issue is that I don't think the volume on the headset control goes up high enough for a totally immersive headphones experience (and I'm using my own earphones, not the pack-in ones). Hopefully they'll give us a 'LOUDER' patch - I want to crank Rez up really high.

Why can't you watch a 3D bluray in 3d? I thought that was a given.

Hugely impressed. Robot rescue is short but fun, image quality isn't the best in the world but still far better than my Oculus DK2 was.  Drive club inVR made me feel ill but regular Drive club in big screen mode was amazing. No sickness at all and brilliantly impressive. 

Rez is the same as the Dreamcast game which is a bit disappointing. Would have preferred all new levels. 

Resident Kitchen is amazing.

I give it nine out of 10, and if they fix 3d bluray its a ten from Len. My name isn't Len though. But if it was, then yes.

And robot rescue....  Makes you fucking smile so much.  More please. 

Managed to get trapped in the wires when using the wheel stand.  Because you can't see real life you get really immersed and forget you are surrounded by wires and plastic tat.  When you come to stand up, you realised you are tied to the chair.

IMG_20161013_160457-1024x768.jpg

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

Initial impressions as a VR virgin.....blown away. As someone with a lazy eye who couldn't see 3d on a 3DS, perhaps I'm easily impressed with new tech like this.

It actually did a great job of measuring my eyes. I did it manually and it was bang on. The picture is crisp, but not exactly amazing to look at. I thought it was fucked first of all because I hadn't noticed the protective film on the lenses....the shame :(

Only thing stopping me playing now is that climbing around the back of the TV sorting cables had me hot and sweaty, and the lenses seem to steam up far too easily.

I tried Driveclub and it can fuck right off. I used a drum stool I had to hand to sit on and nearly fell on my arse trying that demo!

One thing, is there a way to centre the main image? I think the camera is very slightly tilted to one side (the floor slopes a little where my TV is sat I think. So the main PS4 screen looks very slightly titled to one side. I'd like an option to reset it to what I see as being central. It is fine in games, but niggly nonetheless.

Tried that Play VR room thing first. Got to admit I actually laughed out loud when I turned around playing the UFO grab thing :D

But yeah, the sense of being there is amazing. Especially how it shows the pad in front of you. Everything looks like you could reach out and touch it. I'd like to see a game in the vein of Mario 64 though with lots of flat colours etc to hide the low res of the screen. But so far I'm loving it :)

For those with fogging lenses, on the Rift at least generally lenses fogging up means the headset isn't fitting properly (too tight). This was the same with DK1 and the current retail Rift. Of course if you're hot and sweaty or just taken a hot shower this may not help....but in general terms if it's fogging up look at adjusting the fit.

13 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Why can't you watch a 3D bluray in 3d? I thought that was a given.

Hugely impressed. Robot rescue is short but fun, image quality isn't the best in the world but still far better than my Oculus DK2 was.  Drive club inVR made me feel ill but regular Drive club in big screen mode was amazing. No sickness at all and brilliantly impressive. 

Rez is the same as the Dreamcast game which is a bit disappointing. Would have preferred all new levels. 

Resident Kitchen is amazing.

I give it nine out of 10, and if they fix 3d bluray its a ten from Len. My name isn't Len though. But if it was, then yes.

And robot rescue....  Makes you fucking smile so much.  More please. 

There is an all new level in Rez. :)

59 minutes ago, museman123 said:

Dpd due to deliver between 12 and 1.  Nothing game just an update that they tried to deliver and a note has been left... no note <_<

first time they've let me down 

That sucks. Mine's with Yodel. They gave me an estimated time of 12-9pm but I know the driver has already gone home and they're just waiting until 9pm to pretend he attempted to make the delivery.

As soon as I found out my launch day hopes were in Yodel's hands, I'd have happily given up the £25 saved with Tesco to go with DPD instead. Less so after reading you post, though.

Another night of Overwatch it is!

12 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

For those with fogging lenses, on the Rift at least generally lenses fogging up means the headset isn't fitting properly (too tight). This was the same with DK1 and the current retail Rift. Of course if you're hot and sweaty or just taken a hot shower this may not help....but in general terms if it's fogging up look at adjusting the fit.

Trouble is - for me at least - is that the sweet spot for a nice crisp image is with the face part pushed right up against my face. Moving it out even a tiny bit loses the focus a bit too much to be enjoyable. I do wish there was a nice quick focus option....or something in real time that you could adjust.

I was sweaty though at the time! It is winter soon, I'll play with the heating off if I have to.

As my first VR experience I am blown away. Just done the shark dive and the head pong games and its just amazing, the scale of everything is what blows you away. Got my wife to try the shark dive and she screamed near the end and could not complete it. She has no interest in games at all, quite the opposite but she had to admit it was pretty impressive which is high praise indeed. The kids are just trying the VR playroom and loving it.

I have got loads of games to get stuck into eve, dc, rez, battlezone, cant wait....  No buyers remorse here.

Well I am absolutely blown away by it . It's incredible . I don't think anything can prepare you for the first experience it's just amazing . No nausea and tracking is absolutely spot on with headset and controller . 

17 minutes ago, robotattack said:

Is there any supposed health reason children under 12 aren't meant to use it? Or is it just because they might hurt themselves on their surroundings and just Sony covering their arses?

Eye development. I've done a fair amount of reading on this subject and the general concensus is that it's fine for children under 12 to use in short bursts and not too frequently. There are concerns that longer playing time may impact eyes as they are not fully developed. So Sony and Oculus etc take the cautious line but there should be no harm in allowing younger children to try it as long as it's not for daily extended sessions.