PlayStation VR

2 hours ago, StephenM said:

Did we ever get any really good overwrought theories of why the second embargo layer exists?

I'm going for -- 'Get some good reviews out of more indie-scale games first, and let people pre-order that stuff. Then, at the very last minute, drop a 'You're missing out on the killer app' bomb.'

Tinfoil hat, anyone? To go with your plastic mask.

I think it's simply that if they lift the embargo for all the launch games at the same time on the same day they're fighting each other for coverage, and it's all over and done with in a single day. By splitting it up a bit everything gets a little more room to breathe, and a greater chance of being seen.

(Not to mention a greater chance of being covered at all - most outlets got one headset a few days before the first embargo. It would have been impossible to review everything.)

I have to say, aside from the general lack of strong marketing for PSVR mentioned already many times, I think Sony have really missed a trick by frontloading so many games at PSVR launch. It's something they seem half aware of with their rolling embargo encouraging sites to put out reviews in waves, but the thing is that the average PSVR purchaser isn't going to have the money, time or attention to sweep up all of the PSVR games (particularly immediately after buying a PSVR [and camera/Moves, as necessary]), so it's just going to lead to some severely underperforming launch titles as they all compete with one another. Which will then be followed up by a drought in new releases.

I can't help think that if they'd enforced staggered releases, maybe four-six titles on launch then another two every fortnight, they'd have helped each game get more exposure, while simultaneously helping to keep the PSVR in people's minds in the run up to Christmas with regular releases of new VR games. Instead, they've gone for consumer-fatigue-inducing mass launch followed by a relatively quiet release schedule.

I mean, what do I know, I don't work in marketing, but it just seems a bit of an odd approach to me.

23 minutes ago, strider said:

Gah. Paypal credit is £37 a month for a year...
That seems reasonable, right?

Can you afford it? if you can afford it then it's worth it if you want it, life's too short to not take the plunge, but if £37 a month is a commitment too far then suck it up and pass on it.

18 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I'm all aboard the hype train, but I ain't ever gonna recommend people by leisure items on credit. That and the price will drop quick, if only on the games themselves.

(Sorry to be a downer)

I agree with you. I don't really want to trade off my hyperduel though as I love it, but I'm also really impatient. I am concerned it's going to be in bargain bins in a year's time though!

15 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Can you afford it? if you can afford it then it's worth it if you want it, life's too short to not take the plunge, but if £37 a month is a commitment too far then suck it up and pass on it.

'I bought my iPhone on Paypal credit. I honestly don't know why because I have the money....but a £600 sting in one month along with psvr wasn't too appealing.

The good thing is you can pay it off at any rate you like.

Yeah they give you the hour window, and if they can do it then other couriers have no excuse not to do the same.

edit: Amazon are preparing my orders for dispatch. Expensive day tomorrow. Needed the camera and move controllers as well. But couldn't stomach holding something that had someone else's sweat in all the nooks and crannies so bought new move controllers. Bloody expensive!

Hmmm, logged into Amazon this morning for an update and get this message when looking at my orders:

There's a problem displaying some of your orders right now.

If you don't see the order you're looking for, please try again by refreshing the page in a few minutes.

My card has been charged for 2 VR games I ordered but not the VR headset.

WTF is going on! Anyone else ordering from Amazon?

39 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Hmmm, logged into Amazon this morning for an update and get this message when looking at my orders:

There's a problem displaying some of your orders right now.

If you don't see the order you're looking for, please try again by refreshing the page in a few minutes.

My card has been charged for 2 VR games I ordered but not the VR headset.

WTF is going on! Anyone else ordering from Amazon?

Looks like they're having site issues. I get "internal error" when I try to login

16 hours ago, Droo said:

That's my concern, don't want to

get confused with which account is primary on the console and end up locking myself out of my content (something I'm liable to do)

in other news they really aughta rerelease "nightmare" as seen below....  I remember 1991/2 Belfast Ideal Home Exhibition had a VR Unit with this and I begged to go. 

Mam didn't let me though, so a rerelease is 100% necessary. 

"And if you are wondering about the price tag of one of these virtual reality systems they range from $50,000 to $200,000"

25 years has vastly increased that experience and got the price down to £350! 

No tracking information. We're preparing your order. Carrier information will be updated soon.

TAKE MY MONEY AMAZON!

Ahem, sorry I might be a bit on edge :D I have never had a single Prime order not be next day and I'm sure this will be no exception will it... WILL IT???