IGNORED

PlayStation VR

rubberducker

Here's Jeff Minter's new bag, Polybius:

The game itself is fast, intense, but never upsetting, stressful or unpleasant. I really don’t like games that make you feel more stressed out when you finish playing that before you start. Despite all its speed and hyperstimulation, you actually find in play that the game has a relaxing, even a mildly therapeutic effect – I can get up grumpy of a Monday morning but a few minutes in the headset has me feeling happy and serene. Test subjects have described it as feeling like a nice session of meditation when they play.

Hopefully the game once released will live up to the name it takes from its legendary inspiration – without bringing with it any of the more controversial psychoactive effects of that peculiar game. I just want people to feel the speed rush, the relaxation, the euphoria.

PS EU blog

I've been looking forward to more abstract Llamasoft madness ever since the excellent TxK, so yay

37 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

PS EU blog

I've been looking forward to more abstract Llamasoft madness ever since the excellent TxK, so yay

This makes me wonder, how much acid could I buy for £350?

PS. This PS1 cult classic needs to be ported to PSVR immediately.

49 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

PS EU blog

Inject it into my veins!!!!

PSVR purchase justified (to me only)... I just hope it is released before I die as he isn't known for fast dev cycles these days :)

I am speaking as the only person who listed Space Giraffe as his game of the last gen :D

EDIT - and a brilliant choice of name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_(video_game)

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4362

I'm a loser that still lives in his parent's house. Am I being dense thinking I'll be able to use this in the confines of my bedroom? The room itself isn't that small, but with the amount of junk I have lying around, the amount of free space is limited. My thinking was that anything that could be played sitting down would be alright as long as I had enough distance away from the camera. 

I wasn't really intending to play it like that when I pre-ordered, but the opportunities of playing it in the lounge would be more limited.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

Inject it into my veins!!!!

PSVR purchase justified (to me only)... I just hope it is released before I die as he isn't known for fast dev cycles these days :)

I am speaking as the only person who listed Space Giraffe as his game of the last gen :D

EDIT - and a brilliant choice of name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_(video_game)

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4362

Think Ernest Cline also made it a plot point in the startlingly shit 'Armada'.

Well folks, I just cancelled my pre-order with Game...

... but I'm keeping my pre-order with Amazon as the Game one was only my backup pre-order and I placed both pre-orders within five minutes of them being able to pre-order months ago because there was - and is - no fucking way on Earth I'm going to miss out on having actual VR in my house on launch day!

:)

That's the spirit. They obvious work fine under certain conditions cause it would have come up before now. All we need to do is emulate those conditions. And windows are overrated anyway.

This sounds JUST like the Kinect. Works fine under the right conditions. You just have to find them. You'll get the occasional flakiness when the sun shines or you living room light is on or you're out of the cone that the camera can see.
I think we're seeing the effects of why the vive and rift cost £700 and what the experience will be (narrower operating window) on cheaper hardware.

Yeah, for me, VR was never going to be an every day thing.

I want it so I can be there day one, so I can use it every now and then when new and interesting games/experiences come out, and to see the platform grow. That's all I want and need right now. 

Sure I could wait another 18-24 months to buy a more polished product, but where's the fun in that?

People seem to think that Sony should have all of VRs problems sorted by October 13th, but we're miles from that. 

If they're aiming for mass market or at least trying to get there eventually the DO need to make sure it works well in most situations. Because if it doesn't and the bad experiences reported by half the people on that NEOGAF thread continue at that sort of ratio then it'll convince the public that VR is shite and put it back for at least a generation or two. Take the Kinect. Doesn't matter how amazing and accurate the next one is. Enough people have been burnt by the last two to just not even bother with it.

Going the cheaper route with existing move controller tech is a move worth applauding but it might have been a cost cut too far.

14 hours ago, robotattack said:

I'm a loser that still lives in his parent's house. Am I being dense thinking I'll be able to use this in the confines of my bedroom? The room itself isn't that small, but with the amount of junk I have lying around, the amount of free space is limited. My thinking was that anything that could be played sitting down would be alright as long as I had enough distance away from the camera. 

I wasn't really intending to play it like that when I pre-ordered, but the opportunities of playing it in the lounge would be more limited.

I was sitting 3 feet away for a lot of the games I was playing and it was fine. Technically you don't even need a tv to use it so you can set it up anywhere you like as long as you don't mind lugging the PS4 around.

4 hours ago, rafaqat said:

This sounds JUST like the Kinect. Works fine under the right conditions.

Nah Kinect was laggy even in perfect conditions. The flaw in Kinect was fundamental and led to disconnect as there was always lag between you moving and it happening on screen which made some games almost unplayable. Kinect 2.0 didn't solve it either.

Some games worked around it some didn't but the basic tech was flawed.

Been eyeing up that wheel stand on Amazon for a while, and didn't realise you can buy direct for a tenner cheaper. Thanks. Just ordered it. 

And my roller coaster of yesnoyesnoyesno switches back to a big YES for PSVR after seeing Jeff Minters game.  

TxK is worth the price of a Vita and Vita TV alone.  I'm serious , for the price of a new release game you can buy a PSTV and TxK. Its unbelievably good. Its the best game I've ever played for putting you in the zone. I've missed the phone ringing right next to me playing that. A psvr game of that calibre would be the greatest thing . 

6 hours ago, strider said:

I was sitting 3 feet away for a lot of the games I was playing and it was fine. Technically you don't even need a tv to use it so you can set it up anywhere you like as long as you don't mind lugging the PS4 around.

Thanks Strider. :) I can get away with that distance. But yeah, I'll probably lug the PS4 downstairs when I can.

4 hours ago, Clipper said:

Nah Kinect was laggy even in perfect conditions. The flaw in Kinect was fundamental and led to disconnect as there was always lag between you moving and it happening on screen which made some games almost unplayable. Kinect 2.0 didn't solve it either.

Some games worked around it some didn't but the basic tech was flawed.

Kinect biggest problem was took away the tactile feel of games. People who really game like buttons. It might be a mouse,a keyboard or a controller of some kind but it has to have a feel to it. That's why phone games are generally (imo) considered shit, because that physical feel is only half there. Touching glass is lame and very unrewarding (to most not crazy people)

I've got next week off as holiday in a combination of holiday hours being available and launch week shenanigans.  Is it the 13th yet? :)

I really fancy a racing wheel but would feel supremely guilty purchasing one!  Does anyone know what the chances of getting the resident evil 7 demo going on launch day are for UK residents? I'm a huge horror fan and haven't played the non-VR demo.  Getting to experience that on launch would be the holy grail for me!

9 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I think I've decided on Rez and Thumper for day 1. Are either of them available physically? Can't see them on Amazon. 

Then I'll make my way through some demos to work out what else I want. 

Excitement overload. 

http://store.iam8bit.com/collections/rez-infinite/products/rezinfinite-ps4physicalgame

REZ Physical is exclusive to iam8bit

Edited by SeanR