rubberducker

PlayStation VR

What are the technical requirements needed?

2 images per frame @60fps?

Does anything need to be done over that? Can you get away with 720p for vr headsets?

Basically 720p at 120Hz (60Hz per eye), minimum. Plausible for PS4. Oculus Rift users aren't super happy at 720p though because it's spread over your whole visual field rather than just a screen, so there'll be a 1080p version. 1080p at 120Hz seems unlikely on PS4.

Of course that relatively low apparent resolution means that it'd be quite tolerant of lower visual quality so who knows what they could do with cutting back on appearance.

• Upvote 1

I'd be fine with PS3/360 visuals so they can bosh it out at the required 1080p/whatever framerate. It'll just be another one of those things, like split screen multiplayer, where the visuals need to be reigned in a bit to cope.

Big advantage of a console powered VR solution might be the fact that you can cut out layers of drivers, OS, API's, firmware etc that all introduce latency (compared to a PC).

I imagine VR games will be the sort of 360/PS3/F2P equivalents in terms of visual fidelity.

EVE Valkyrie was considering going exclusive for PS4 VR, there was a period of time where they were refusing to guarantee a PC version and being cagey about "other platforms" which they clearly couldn't mention because they weren't announced, but yeah.

Basically 720p at 120Hz (60Hz per eye), minimum. Plausible for PS4. Oculus Rift users aren't super happy at 720p though because it's spread over your whole visual field rather than just a screen, so there'll be a 1080p version. 1080p at 120Hz seems unlikely on PS4

My understanding is the final version of Oculus is 1080p split over both eyes so 1080p@60hz is what's required - something the PS4 can stretch to.

• Upvote 1

At Gerbik: Apparently not; to get the proper VR illusion it looks like refresh speed is more important than image quality.

:)

My understanding is the final version of Oculus is 1080p split over both eyes so 1080p@60hz is what's required - something the PS4 can stretch to.

Any console can stretch to that, even the Xbox 360 if they just dial back the fancy effects and other graphical flourishes enough. It's just a matter of developers acknowledging that 1080p/60FPS is pretty fucking essential when the screen is right in front of your eyes and you want to prevent things like nausea and headaches. If developers can control themselves when it comes to adding shiny stuff to a game, it won't be a problem.

You're right, so it's really doable then.

I still can't see Sony rolling out an expensive gamble like this just now.

If developers can control themselves when it comes to adding shiny stuff to a game, it won't be a problem.

oh dear... i have a vision of seas of vomit surrounding PS4VR users :)

if it really only needs 1080p@60 then its possible... However I think the price will kill it, everyone has just forked out 350 for a next gen machine are they going to be willing to put down another 200 for VR which is niche at the moment.

Good on them if they are giving it a go and as USPs go its a pretty good one (see people frothing over Oculus) and maybe it will be a slow growth (beyond launch fanatics) throughout the generation as opposed to 3D which died on its arse

• Upvote 1

oh dear... i have a vision of seas of vomit surrounding PS4VR users :)

if it really only needs 1080p@60 then its possible... However I think the price will kill it, everyone has just forked out 350 for a next gen machine are they going to be willing to put down another 200 for VR which is niche at the moment.

Good on them if they are giving it a go and as USPs go its a pretty good one (see people frothing over Oculus) and maybe it will be a slow growth (beyond launch fanatics) throughout the generation as opposed to 3D which died on its arse

For many though it would be £200 for a VR headset 12 months or so down the line from the PS4 purchase - I know I'd consider picking one up if the tech worked.

For many though it would be £200 for a VR headset 12 months or so down the line from the PS4 purchase - I know I'd consider picking one up if the tech worked.

I was thinking that, even as I clicked "post" ... it will launch at earliest in late 2014 so a full year after PS4 launch and many will have a few quid and gadget lust (I know I will).

Part of me can't see it happening though, have they really run a massive R&D heavy project like this alongside the PS4s large R&D heavy project?

Seems all a bit bit manpower heavy and costly and a big gamble... Would be better to see how Oculus did I would have thought rather than leapfrog it into fullscale consumer production.

interesting times though I hope.

Surely it needs 1080@60 per eye - the equivelant of 1080@120, maybe a bit less if you get super clever with your rendering pipeline.

So, to achieve that we're going to need to accept less shinies than we'd get through a regular display.

I'd bet that they could get Shadowfall-esque visuals on a VR unit. That'd suit me just fine.

Surely it needs 1080@60 per eye - the equivelant of 1080@120, maybe a bit less if you get super clever with your rendering pipeline.

So, to achieve that we're going to need to accept less shinies than we'd get through a regular display.

I'd bet that they could get Shadowfall-esque visuals on a VR unit. That'd suit me just fine.

nope oculus seems to work as one display screen which is 1080p with image on left and image on right, one for each eye

the Dev units are 1280x800 ish I think and they are going for 1080p for consumer I think.

nope oculus seems to work as one display screen which is 1080p with image on left and image on right, one for each eye

the Dev units are 1280x800 ish I think and they are going for 1080p for consumer I think.

Our orignal occulus is lower res than that I'm sure. Having used that with an omni and body tracking kit, I am massively excited for the future of vr.

In terms of immersion, the occulus alone isn't a patch on occulus + body rotation tracking + omni for locomotion. Resolution really is secondary with that kind of setup.

But that kind of setup is going to be very niche so Sony will need to assume the use case for this to be at home, sat on sofa. In this case they will have to look at other means of raising immersion levels. I don't know if res. and refresh rate will do the job because I haven't been able to test it yet.

what about 810*1080*60 per eye?

aka 1920*1080*60, you know "fullHD"?

how many people forget that the 1080 is the number of horizontal lines, vertically down the screen?

Wait, why IS that given more importance?

In an ideal world you'd have 8K per eye of course but it seems 1080p split works OK judging by the reaction to the new Oculus dev kit. Presumably it's very similar to generating a stereoscopic image, but with a much wider FOV.

what about 810*1080*60 per eye?

aka 1920*1080*60, you know "fullHD"?

how many people forget that the 1080 is the number of horizontal lines, vertically down the screen?

Wait, why IS that given more importance?

historically displays always referred to horizontal lines for CRT etc so PAL had 576 "scanlines" down the screen and NTSC had 480

when they started talking aobut HD they carried on with 720p and 1080p

it is still valid as you can work out the full res due to aspect ratio of 16:9 screens ;) and its less of a mouthful than 1920x1080 etc

tldr? shorthand basically

I've got a 720p Oculus dev kit and having spent some time with I think that 1080p per eye is critical at the very least. In a few years when phones have 4k screens (not too far away from what I've read) and we've got powerful enough machines to run at that res (or devs scale back the shinies sufficiently to hit 60fps with current hardware) then I can really see it being awesome. Until then it'll be good/great but there'll always be a nagging feeling that we're not there yet and I suspect I won't be able to stop myself from looking for the inadequacies (a fault of mine sometimes).

Cheers...

Any console can stretch to that, even the Xbox 360 if they just dial back the fancy effects and other graphical flourishes enough. It's just a matter of developers acknowledging that 1080p/60FPS is pretty fucking essential when the screen is right in front of your eyes and you want to prevent things like nausea and headaches. If developers can control themselves when it comes to adding shiny stuff to a game, it won't be a problem.

But then what will they be making - visually pared down games which only work with VR? Games which work on both but scale things back when played in VR? Games which look the same either way meaning non-VR people will think they look crap compared to other games?

If they can't do games graphically equivalent to non-VR games, we're probably a long way from seeing this take off on consoles.

That's simply not true as I was blown away just with the Mk1 Oculus and some of the basic demo's, which the PS4 could easily pull off. The VR experience changes things dramatically, it doesn't need to have 100% parity with the greatest regular TV games.

But then what will they be making - visually pared down games which only work with VR? Games which work on both but scale things back when played in VR? Games which look the same either way meaning non-VR people will think they look crap compared to other games?

If they can't do games graphically equivalent to non-VR games, we're probably a long way from seeing this take off on consoles.

Then it becomes a matter of artstyle being way more important than how advanced your shaders are or how bumpy your mapping is. Increased poly count and fancy lighting does not necessarily equal pretty graphics. Think about how some Wii U games from Nintendo look miles better than graphically intensive PC or next-gen games - because of the style.

I played the demo's, but what I'm saying is that there will be a wealth of experiences that will be more than fine, not every single title will need to look ultra realistic. I'm sure something like Rez VR would blow people away for example and you could play that for hours.

*Edit* and what ^he^ said.