Xbox One UK price cut - now £399 bundled with Titanfall

Halo

Edit: And if the blu-ray film is already inside for future viewing (ie: a series), you DO need to find the blu-ray app on the Bone, just remembered. There's no bloody 'play disc' on the home.

Play disc is the bottom right icon on home. It changes to whatever's in the drive.

The system plays blu rays automatically. It takes you directly to the player download screen as soon as you put your first one in. You don't need to 'find' the app, ever. You're basically just downloading the driver, and it runs on a system level from then.

Microsoft has a pretty large presence in the Netherlands, including a 'home & entertainment' division that does the whole Xbox thing. At least it used to be like that a few years ago, I don't know if they changed the organisation. I've actually been in the H&E / Xbox office when I was being interviewed for a position at MSN ages ago.

If nothing else, the new Sony have shown themselves perfectly willing to toss out or dramatically change underperforming business units. There will be no doubling down on terrible ideas from them, with any luck. I dare say that Prince Nokiabane will show a similar keen-ness to rein in egos over at MS.

Errr, the fact they refuse to jettison the albatross that is the TV division kind of torpedoes that line of thought, at least the games division stopped bleeding after a while and could hope to recover. It must be a point of pride, ditching the Trinitron division would be akin to seppeku, one of the founding pillars of what Sony represents, let's hope they actually turn it around in the next decade, otherwise it'll be a bit difficult to actually make any money with that constant failure to feed.

It's easy enough to import one from Germany or the UK, but I find it odd that it's taking so long. You'd say they could put the stock they're now offloading at a discount could be put to better use by attempting to get a foothold in other territories.

Microsoft semed to presume they would do well in the US and UK, which has been challenged by their pre-launch issues and the surprising strength of Sony's console. To be honest, if the XB1 can not match the PS4 for sales in the US then the console will be seen as a commercial failure. MS have pumped so much money into the XBox line over the past decade, a distant second in its home market in terms of sales is surely not going to be seen as acceptable. The rest of Europe, and anywhere in the Middle- and Far- East, is a challenge to be faced following the firefighting currently going on to secure US market share.

I can not see how MS ever thought their strategy would work. Even aside from the decisions made which were both comical and daft in equal measure, did nobody look at the projected hardware shipping numbers and think "That covers the US and most PAL regions, but what about the rest of the planet?" It is hard to build the market share you want if you can not even get the hardware units into the country.

I really hope a quality journalist is writing the warts-n-all book about this gen.

I wouldn't want to see it for a few years (as there's no doubt loads of crazy stuff still to come), but those early chapters inside Ninty, MS and Sony, during the run up to the reveals and everything that happened for a year or two afterwards will make for some choice and schadenfreude-fuelled reading.

I assume that Microsoft didn't have enough units because they weren't ready to announce when Sony pulled the trigger. Given Sony loudly professing that they weren't going to announce until MS did I guess they thought they had more time. Might account for the lack of focus on games at the initial reveal as well.