Xbox One UK price cut - now £399 bundled with Titanfall

Halo

Re. Sony, I know I'm probably being naive, but I do get the feeling with House/Yoshida and Cerny in place, Sony have a core team at or near the top that won't fall back into bad habits of taking their newly re-found market share for granted.

I've no doubt there will be hiccups, they are a corporate giant, they will have plenty of twats in positions of power (where doesn't?), and so some mistakes will be made... but I think they have learned a valuable lesson, and in this modern age of GAF and twitter and Boogie and other much-followed YouTubers, you just cannot get away with behaving like Sony at PS3 launch, or MS with the Bone reveal.

So, I don't see them throwing all that good will away. And I see MS gradually rebuilding theirs.

I'd love to be that optimistic but MS clearly didn't learn it from Sony last generation. Or Nintendo in the 90s. Or Atari in the 80s.

I look forward to the inevitable price drop where all these people concerned about privacy suddenly decide actually, it's ok now.

I predict that to be £250. At the rate discounting is going on I reckon 12 months. :)

sounds like a plan. How much will i get if i sell the camera?

The thing is MS could be giving me the bone free with a sub to xbox live - and I still don't think I'd want one.

Putting aside how MS have treated its customer base with contempt, I really can't see the advantage to having their console.

It's basically the same thing as a ps4, only less powerful. So third party stuff will always look better on the ps4, and the only thing that could pull me over is halo. But frankly after the way they have handled this whole thing, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I literally don't want them to have a penny more of my money.

Something about noses and faces and then Dead Rising 3.

Doesn't mean anything if you didn't like the first two games. Or online only shooters. Or realistic driving sims.

I find it more amazing that after Microsofts E3 last year pretty much everyone washed their hands with them on here. Now they've backtracked a bit, they've sold a fair few to those same people. They revealed their true colours at E3 and they deserve everything they get. I've already said I'm not buying either an Xbone or PS4 this gen because of their lack of BC but even if they suddenly made the Xbone backwards compatable and dropped the price again I wouldn't buy it. They deserve to fail hard this gen - I hope they do.

Can't I be concerned about privacy and also purchase it at a reasonable price?

And shouldn't I be concerned about a camera that's going into my kid's bedroom? I'd still rather it was £250 with no Kinect than £250 with Kinect (yes, I know I can sell the camera but apparently the XB1 is difficult to use without it)

Yes you can. We should all take reasonable precautions to protect our privacy. There's plenty of places willing to sell our data on or use it to target more ads at us etc and we should all minimise that to a level we're comfortable with (even if that means not buying an XoxOne)

But this spying you're so concerned about the Kinnect is going to enable? It's just I don't know...personally for me it's not as big an issue since I'm pretty sure that the NSA have got their hooks into Facebook/Google/Apple/Sony/MS as well as plenty of popular online games. So..I do what i can to not share too much info and opt out of whatever I can. I'm sure there'll come a time when it's revealed that the NSA have hacked Kinnect to listen to you or that MS have agreed to pass on "something". But what precisely is it that's going to be tracked? Video of your kid? What they're saying to Kinnect?

Fine, if you think having a Kinnect in the kids bedroom is a step too far, but I'm not really fussed by any of that.........yet. I say yet. Everyone has a line and I totally get that. I just wonder what it is that people think the NSA/anyone would care enough to listen to? or if it's something that is even possible currently. Kinnect currently doesn't send audio/video to any servers unless you upload it right? Would be a hell of a change is MS wanted to make that opt out? I'm not too worried.........yet.

You're going to miss a whole generation of consoles because they won't play your old games?

Considering I spent over £1000 on XBLA, PSN and DLC last gen I'm not prepared to do the same this time only for them to pull the same stunt again. I still have over 50 unplayed games on both the PS3, 360 and Wii that I really want to have a go at, so I'm perfectly happy with what I've got. Plus, with Dark Souls 2 out soon, I doubt I'll want to play anything else for a long time.

(yes, I know I can sell the camera but apparently the XB1 is difficult to use without it)

When the Kinect is a pack in, who's going to buy it?

And as a side note, all the stuff people say is now integral to the experience seems to be more to do with voice commands than a camera.

Considering I spent over £1000 on XBLA, PSN and DLC last gen I'm not prepared to do the same this time only for them to pull the same stunt again. I still have over 50 unplayed games on both the PS3, 360 and Wii that I really want to have a go at, so I'm perfectly happy with what I've got. Plus, with Dark Souls 2 out soon, I doubt I'll want to play anything else for a long time.

Any half decent PC or laptop will play those same XBLA type games but on steam they'll pretty much be backwards compatible forever. I'll eventually end up getting the next gen consoles for exclusives but I'm no longer buying XBLA type games on them when they have a one generation time bomb attached to them when you can get them on PC without the same issue (outside of ps plus).

I've luckily managed to re-buy most of my XBLA collection for next to nothing due to humble bundles and can play them on any system where I log into steam.

I'd like to unequivocally state that no, it's not difficult to use the Xbox One without the camera. There's a handful of things, like using snap, that can be done a bit quicker with the voice commands, but otherwise it's much the same.

Customising your dash is the best way to make the most of the interface, otherwise everything's listed in either Games or Apps. Once I'd adjusted to having Settings on a button (quite handy and clever now I'm used to it), I found the interface pretty straight forward.

On the other hand, NEG found it so confusing he couldn't figure out how to play a bluray (hint: put the disc in), so go figure.

Yes you can. We should all take reasonable precautions to protect our privacy. There's plenty of places willing to sell our data on or use it to target more ads at us etc and we should all minimise that to a level we're comfortable with (even if that means not buying an XoxOne)

But this spying you're so concerned about the Kinnect is going to enable? It's just I don't know...personally for me it's not as big an issue since I'm pretty sure that the NSA have got their hooks into Facebook/Google/Apple/Sony/MS as well as plenty of popular online games. So..I do what i can to not share too much info and opt out of whatever I can. I'm sure there'll come a time when it's revealed that the NSA have hacked Kinnect to listen to you or that MS have agreed to pass on "something". But what precisely is it that's going to be tracked? Video of your kid? What they're saying to Kinnect?

Fine, if you think having a Kinnect in the kids bedroom is a step too far, but I'm not really fussed by any of that.........yet. I say yet. Everyone has a line and I totally get that. I just wonder what it is that people think the NSA/anyone would care enough to listen to? or if it's something that is even possible currently. Kinnect currently doesn't send audio/video to any servers unless you upload it right? Would be a hell of a change is MS wanted to make that opt out? I'm not too worried.........yet.

No matter WHAT they get out of it, it's the sheer fact/on principle that it's a CCTV into your house. In EVERY house if they have their way.

No thank you. It'll stay in the box.

So it's a toss up between worrying about the NSA or playing the best game of the new generation?

Tough call.

No, not really.

And thanks Uzi. That's pretty much what I'm gonna do this year. Between the PC, last gen and handhelds I should be fine for a good while.

No matter WHAT they get out of it, it's the sheer fact/on principle that it's a CCTV into your house. In EVERY house if they have their way.

No thank you. It'll stay in the box.

Look, whenever this topic comes up I always get the impression that you're not quite grasping what's actually being discussed. Even those hypothetical worst case invasive scenarios regarding Kinect involve the collection of metadata, not having a live video feed uploaded anywhere. Leaving aside the fact that it's never going to happen, even in some fit of insanity that it did it would be discovered immediately and they'd be sued into infinity for it.

You can't just secretly upload a HD video feed without anyone noticing.

IOn the other hand, NEG found it so confusing he couldn't figure out how to play a bluray (hint: put the disc in), so go figure.

Actually you need to download the blu ray app, it's not plug and play. Hey guess what, that shit doesn't happen on PS4, nor did it on 360.

My problem was the dashboard. Being in a sub menu that looks very much like he main menu I spent 5mins confused as to where my game selection went to. Until I hit the home button. I continue to state that the UI is just plain horrible. (Modern) 360 and Bone alike.

So it's a toss up between worrying about the NSA or playing the best game of the new generation?

Tough call.

It's a choice between potentially fun looking games (Kinect Dancing Star Wars) and helping turn society as a whole into 1984/Brave New World. ::insert dramatic music::

We're going to be fucked if television sets start coming with inbuilt cameras (for Skype) and required connections to the internet, mind. Since they've started to come included with apps and such.

Look, whenever this topic comes up I always get the impression that you're not quite grasping what's actually being discussed. Even those hypothetical worst case invasive scenarios regarding Kinect involve the collection of metadata, not having a live video feed uploaded anywhere. Leaving aside the fact that it's never going to happen, even in some fit of insanity that it did it would be discovered immediately and they'd be sued into infinity for it.

You can't just secretly upload a HD video feed without anyone noticing.

They wouldn't be sued to infinity because this has happened and Apple, Google, MS and Yahoo have not been sued into infinity. Skype and Yahoo chat were hacked and had images captured. iOS and Android were hacked to allow camera access at will. It started off sounding a bit tin hat, but it turned out to be the kind of thing which was actually happening.

Actually you need to download the blu ray app, it's not plug and play. Hey guess what, that shit doesn't happen on PS4, nor did it on 360.

That's not quite true, the PS4 needs to be connected to the internet the first time you play a blu ray. It's so they don't have to pay the license for people who won't use it, same for both consoles.

They wouldn't be sued to infinity because this has happened and Apple, Google, MS and Yahoo have not been sued into infinity. Skype and Yahoo chat were hacked and had images captured. iOS and Android were hacked to allow camera access at will. It started off sounding a bit tin hat, but it turned out to be the kind of thing which was actually happening.

I'm not ignorant of the whole affair, just trying to move away from this silly over-simplification of the issue that involves every single Kinect sending a direct video feed to 1984 HQ. It's like being worried that your laptop camera is always on, and someone is always watching it. When you're using Skype or other networking software, that's slightly different.

That's not quite true, the PS4 needs to be connected to the internet the first time you play a blu ray. It's so they don't have to pay the license for people who won't use it, same for both consoles.

I'm not ignorant of the whole affair, just trying to move away from this silly over-simplification of the issue that involves every single Kinect sending a direct video feed to 1984 HQ. It's like being worried that your laptop camera is always on, and someone is always watching it. When you're using Skype or other networking software, that's slightly different.

Honestly not sure what a PS4 would do if you wanted to watch a blu-ray on day one and say no to the mandatory update, but playing blu-ray's are a part of the OS itself. Being able to watch films is not treated secondary. There's no hoop to jump through (find the blu-ray app, download it). There's no need to update blu-ray separately, either. It'll be a part of the system update itself, and I could carry on watching blu-rays no matter how long Sony kept a (non-distracting) note on the main menu that there's an update for the system 2 weeks ago, for example.

Edit: And if the blu-ray film is already inside for future viewing (ie: a series), you DO need to find the blu-ray app on the Bone, just remembered. There's no bloody 'play disc' on the home.

I can understand the app separation, download what you'll actually use. But considering the console itself comes with a disc tray, and the games are on blu-rays too, it was one step too far to make blu-ray it's own thing. It's stupid.

Psst, your computer camera is always on.