Xbox One UK price cut - now £399 bundled with Titanfall

Halo

Sean I used to respect you as a poster on here. Genuinely funny, had something to say, but I just don't know if you're just posting this as a laugh or just being a twat?

that's the beauty of it.

What makes you say that? It's had six months in the oven longer than all the other launch games, and it's got a style and personality all it's own. I have no interest in the Infamous series at all, but I can't deny it looks absolutely superb, I'll be picking it up and giving it a go for sure. Don't forget a lot of PS4 owners have moved from Xbox so Infamous is almost like a brand new IP to a lot of people.

I enjoyed Killzone as well. Decent game, nothing amazing but good enough. I forgot there's only 2 possible marks when reviewing games on forums though - fucking great or worse than hitler.

I think it's because it's easy enough to predict what it'll actually be like based on previous iterations.

Killzone series: not as good as halo, shouted about to the rooftops before every game is released, only for the same problems to arise every single time. Flashy graphics.

Infamous series: an underpopulated city with little distinct character, with most of the action taking place in the dark/sewers/while it's raining.

FIFA series: the same game each year, with something fixed and something else broken.

Fable series: pretty environments, some game breaking flaw.

EA FTP games: utterly fucked by the monetisation model.

Big Sony announcements: add a couple of years to the projected release date.

Etc.

Is there any single player game at all in titanfall?

No. Even the tutorial requires a net connection, I think.

And some of them even enjoyed it all the way through (bar a couple of cack bits), and, dear God, even look back on it now as an enjoyable game. Why do people lie to themselves like this? Desperately trying to defend the purchase of their new console? Why?!

Who knows? Better to approach things with positivity than negativity so I think saying you enjoyed something is better than running things down.

Kudos to you for finding enjoyment and happy memories.

The SP game in killzone is better than the equivalent in CODDOG, BF4 and Halo2 combined.

I was nodding in agreement until 'Halo 2'. And now I need a shower and for someone to create a double-take emoticon.

I dont wanna go all Jimmy Saville on you,

but my 11yr old Cousin has a 360 and wants a PS4 for Xmas this year. I asked him what his mates were doing, and he said everyone he knows at school wants a PS4

i wonder if thats going to be replicated amongst the Kidz over the UK at Xmas?

.. which is remotely..possibly why MS have started the Bargain Ball rolling.

Christmas is 9 months away. He'll prob want PS4 - XBO - PS4 - XBO ... In that time

Halo2 SP was terrible.

Terrible is a little strong, but I think the E3 demo they showed did it no favours. What looked like a bunch of epic battles on Earth resembled nothing of the sort in the final game. Instead there were a few small-ish arena like battles before everyone gets on a spaceship to head to another Halo, like the first game, only not as good.

It is terrible, its all tease and no game. All smoke and mirrors. Drop down into a huge New Mombassa city, spend 30 mins in a tiny courtyard fighting waves of grunts. Run to the next bit through all the glitchy scenery and invisible walls. Repeat for a few more boring bits, sniper alley, then do a 15 minute slog through a boring tunnel on a ghost. All the action is hinted at, even in the advertising...a huge war on earth, in the background you can see explosions and flying banshees...and youre constantly thinking...is this it? Because all youre doing is meandering along from empty room to another empty room...wondering when the game starts. A few other crap bits, then the awkward and terrible scarab turns up. It conveniently lets you blow it up, then off you pop to Delta Halo, which is rubbish again. Tiny little fights, corridor...stupid bit with wraith...more boring little temples...all the while youre seeing alleged signs of some greater conflict elsewhere. A fleet of ships overhead etc, but still nothing of note. The whole game is just like youre in the periphery of a better game. Its terrible because it teases you with actually being good..but never ever, ever delivers. They need to clean up the campaign else it's gona be a relic, a joke. Thank god the multiplayer is the best.

You can say that Halo 2 SP had some poor bits, but it also had some incredible bits. And when Halo is poor, it's still better than pretty much every other shooter out there.

Killzone has just been shit throughout every iteration, so to suggest it's better than Halo 2 is just barmy.

Depends on whether you count Titanfall. 10% is just adjusting for exchange rates etc. and dealing with the psychology of launching over £400, 10% plus Titanfall is more like the big early price cuts of old.

The price-cut is also UK-specific, nobody else is getting that level of TLC, even the homeland only gets the soft-pricedrop of a free game for the same original SRP, but the UK market situation is much more dire than the homeland (180 degree market share reversal mere months after launch is a bit unprecedented) so needs sacrifices to be made much more urgently, if they pull the price-drop trigger in the US also, that would be an even worse sign. Europe looks unwinnable already for Microsoft, but that's what happens when you build yet another Anglo-Saxon box with not even lip-service to the none English-speaking markets.

You can say that Halo 2 SP had some poor bits, but it also had some incredible bits. And when Halo is poor, it's still better than pretty much every other shooter out there.

Some of the latter parts of that game are so bad, I've never completed it in a sequential fashion, and when I was first shown it and played it, my mate (who had already completed it and expressed dissatisfaction over it) just gave me the highlights reel to play so I never realised how bad it got until I played it again later on my own Xbox, not even co-op could save it, and co-op makes everything better usually.

The fact that MS are still to release the console in several European countries has got to be damaging for sales as well. Is the PS4 out everywhere now?

On Halo 2 I remember the massive hype pre release all over the internet (including here). I enjoyed it but it certainly wasn't as good as Halo. I thought the Brutes were crap replacements for Elites as enemies as well.

I was so depressed about Halo 2 sp.

But I did have a pizza in Menorca once that was basically a massive hexagonal cream cracker, covered in generic ketchup and faux kraft thins.

It was definitely an inferior experience.

You can say that Halo 2 SP had some poor bits, but it also had some incredible bits. And when Halo is poor, it's still better than pretty much every other shooter out there.Killzone has just been shit throughout every iteration, so to suggest it's better than Halo 2 is just barmy.

You obviously never played a Killzone game on hard AI. KZ2 & recently KZ Mercenary (haven't got a PS4) were mighty impressive in that way. Since I'm not interested much in big story arcs anyway, these KZ games (didn't get to play KZ3) are truly outstanding.And that's without taking the MP into account, which is also pretty ace.

I tried playing Halo (PC) and Halo 2 & what struck me was: way more obvious repetition, worse animation and Gears of War levels of atrocious 'art direction'.

Can't comment on KZ: Mercenaries or Shadow Fall, but KZ2's level design is still woeful even on hard, which, along with the controls, ruined any appeal the gunfights may otherwise have had. Decent AI is worth nothing if the environments don't compliment it.

The only real competition Halo has ever had in the gameplay stakes has been from FEAR 1&2 and Max Payne 3, all of which shine the higher their difficulty goes.