Xbox One UK price cut - now £399 bundled with Titanfall

Halo

I know it's been getting a lot of praise for its visuals so maybe I haven't seen enough of it, but from the gameplay I have seen the only really next-gen thing about it was the particle effects? I genuinely didn't notice anything else particularly noteworthy or ambitious, it doesn't look anywhere near as striking as The Order or Driveclub for instance.

Second Son does look empty and the character design beyond awful. but from what i have seen it does look like it couldn't be done on a ps4. faint praise i guess.

titanfall on the other hand looks like a slightly better 360 game. and I'll be interested to see people's reactions to seeing both versions side by side.

Big drops like this are very much the exception and not the rule. When the 3DS got its price drop it was to the sound of Nintendo shareholders getting ready to murder the current board, while the Xbox and Xbox One drops came in the face of a cheaper, better-selling competitor.

Normally the launch price is just a reasonable reflection of how stupidly expensive consoles are to develop and bring into production, and that's shed over time.

It's not even a ten percent price drop, given that the console mostly launched with free games. Is that a "big price drop"?

I know it's been getting a lot of praise for its visuals so maybe I haven't seen enough of it, but from the gameplay I have seen the only really next-gen thing about it was the particle effects?.

Same is true of Titanfall I suppose, more so as it's also on 360 and doesn't have the next-gen particle effects. Both could still be great games though.

Same is true of Titanfall I suppose, more so as it's also on 360 and doesn't have the next-gen particle effects. Both could still be great games though.

The next gen bit about titanfall is the gameplay. It could have been done five years ago, but wasn't because: you must make another call of duty.

Having played the beta, I'm not sure what they'd have to fuck up in the full game to make it "not great".

The next gen bit about titanfall is the gameplay. It could have been done five years ago, but wasn't because: you must make another call of duty.

Having played the beta, I'm not sure what they'd have to fuck up in the full game to make it "not great".

Err it's on 360, is the gameplay significantly cut back otherwise I don't see how it can be considered next-gen gameplay? Not much is at the moment though, 64 player Battlefield maybe.

Err it's on 360, is the gameplay significantly cut back otherwise I don't see how it can be considered next-gen gameplay? Not much is at the moment though, 64 player Battlefield maybe.

All I care about is "have I seen it 100 times before"... In that respect titanfall is much more next gen than infamous currently looks.

(I've a PC preorder for titanfall, and if infamous reviews ok, I imagine I will buy it on PS4)

Allegedly there are no AI players in the 360 version so yes, the gameplay will be significantly cut back.

For those who played the beta on Bone, assuming the maps and the 12 player limit on 360 are the same, would the absence of AI cannon fodder grunts make it a slightly lonely/barren experience?

I think so, yes.

The interesting thing about the AI is, and I may be in a minority, is that I try to see past/through them. I'm hunting Pilots and instead of killing grunts, I'm ignoring them to a point, trying to spot the pilots amongst them.

The two maps in the Beta weren't huge by any stretch in terms of area, but the added verticality of Titanfall would make a bare 6v6 game a bit quiet, I think.

Allegedly there are no AI players in the 360 version so yes, the gameplay will be significantly cut back.

I can't imagine it without them, and I'm no convinced by any rumour that suggest they aren't present, I'd imagine the problems will be resolution and frame rate, rather than anything so fundamental.

I'm sorry but Second Son isn't going to sell very well at all. Infamous just isn't a very good franchise. Sony should have cut their loses with it last gen. They have so many that would sell better such as Siphon Filter.

Or even something new. But SS is going to bomb just like all the others!

I'm sorry but Second Son isn't going to sell very well at all. Infamous just isn't a very good franchise. Sony should have cut their loses with it last gen. They have so many that would sell better such as Siphon Filter.

Whilst I agree that the new Infamous won't be a system seller like Titanfall will be for the Bone it's still going to sell to the majority of game starved PS4 owners so i can't see it doing poorly either.

Want to bet?

All it needs to sell is some flashy effects and to come out during a game drought. It'll have the first, and the second. Cue lots of ps4 owners saying how great it is, and how it couldn't be done on the bone.

There were people (before launch, admittedly) saying that killzone would be good ffs.

It's not even a ten percent price drop, given that the console mostly launched with free games. Is that a "big price drop"?

Depends on whether you count Titanfall. 10% is just adjusting for exchange rates etc. and dealing with the psychology of launching over £400, 10% plus Titanfall is more like the big early price cuts of old.

People even said they were enjoying it for a while.

And some of them even enjoyed it all the way through (bar a couple of cack bits), and, dear God, even look back on it now as an enjoyable game. Why do people lie to themselves like this? Desperately trying to defend the purchase of their new console? Why?!

Depends on whether you count Titanfall. 10% is just adjusting for exchange rates etc. and dealing with the psychology of launching over £400, 10% plus Titanfall is more like the big early price cuts of old.

Given they sold consoles with FIFA and forza... I'm not sure I count titanfall.

Second son is gonna be shite and still bought. Just like Killzone was at launch because there wasn't much else about.

What makes you say that? It's had six months in the oven longer than all the other launch games, and it's got a style and personality all it's own. I have no interest in the Infamous series at all, but I can't deny it looks absolutely superb, I'll be picking it up and giving it a go for sure. Don't forget a lot of PS4 owners have moved from Xbox so Infamous is almost like a brand new IP to a lot of people.

I enjoyed Killzone as well. Decent game, nothing amazing but good enough. I forgot there's only 2 possible marks when reviewing games on forums though - fucking great or worse than hitler.