Xbox One UK price cut - now £399 bundled with Titanfall

Halo

Now theyre doing it again on a smaller scale...they have the early adopter money so theyre not thinking about pleasing you, theyre after the next set of people.

Supply and demand innit. You come up with a proposition, make sure you fulfil demand, lower the threshold, fulfil demand, all the way down to Poundland. Most forms of consumerism involves waiting for the price to be right when it comes to luxury goods. What are people willing to pay? The first tier will always be the early adopters enthusiasts with more money than sense and the rich kids. After that you get the people who are on the fence but wait for the first must-have title and/or pricedrop. Then you get the people who wait until there's a decent library available with lots of cheap launch titles and reduced hardware, etc. It's always been like this, so I don't know why people act surprised or angry. The longer you wait, the better the deal you're likely to get. But the less you can enjoy the feeling of excitement for the 'new' and 'next gen' and 'launch frenzy'.

Supply and demand innit. You come up with a proposition, make sure you fulfil demand, lower the threshold, fulfil demand, all the way down to Poundland. Most forms of consumerism involves waiting for the price to be right when it comes to luxury goods. What are people willing to pay? The first tier will always be the early adopters with more money than sense and the rich kids. After that you get the people who are on the fence but wait for the first must-have title and/or pricedrop. Then you get the people who wait until there's a decent library available with lots of cheap launch titles and reduced hardware, etc. It's always been like this, so I don't know why people act surprised or angry.

it's clear that in this instance MS are reacting to poorer-than-expected sales TO those early adopters. They're not chasing "people who are on the fence" at this early stage.

it's like you're apologizing/making excuses for the price cut.

that's what's upsetting angel, he just wants to hear you say it's MS panicking.

I dont wanna go all Jimmy Saville on you,

but my 11yr old Cousin has a 360 and wants a PS4 for Xmas this year. I asked him what his mates were doing, and he said everyone he knows at school wants a PS4

i wonder if thats going to be replicated amongst the Kidz over the UK at Xmas?

.. which is remotely..possibly why MS have started the Bargain Ball rolling.

I think the modding in this thread here is fine, infact id say its good as it lets things flow. I might choose certain ways to express things (microsoft is a huge cock blasting piss into your face) but my point is sound. Theyre screwing their own fans, but this is what they do. They courted the "hardcore" gamer.....then they effectively said hey guys fuck you, we've got you now...we're going after the casual fans..look..kinectimals! motion control!! Now theyre doing it again on a smaller scale...they have the early adopter money so theyre not thinking about pleasing you, theyre after the next set of people.

But again, this is from the company that commissions such total fucking bullshit as that bloke sitting on the train, squashed in his seat, explaining how surface lets him do office and watch videos! The company that invented "im a pc!" and built a pc shop in someones front room. The company that makes a worse version of Office every few years that throws out everything you've learned from the previous ones. The company that rejected the great looking Rime because its not "a connected universe". The company that stuffed their games with microtransactions. The company that jettisoned their entire 1st party studio output, then bought Black Tusk and made them work on another fucking Gears of War. The company that put someone who sat back and watched Nokia lose their business in charge of Xbox.

You do know they sent that dude over to Nokia to fuck em over? It's a common practice from what I hear

I dont wanna go all Jimmy Saville on you,

but my 11yr old Cousin has a 360 and wants a PS4 for Xmas this year. I asked him what his mates were doing, and he said everyone he knows at school wants a PS4

i wonder if thats going to be replicated amongst the Kidz over the UK at Xmas?

.. which is remotely..possibly why MS have started the Bargain Ball rolling.

There's no doubt theyve lost the playground. I hang out in enough of them to know.

You do know they sent that dude over to Nokia to fuck em over? It's a common practice from what I hear

I was meaning the person whos now in charge of xbox, so youre saying he was an MS man sent over there to infiltrate? Sounds good. I wonder if he was responsible for signing Corden up.

I think panic is the wrong word. Obviously they must be hugely disappointed they've lost so much mind share to PS4. And they're lumbered with some design decisions that now look to be mis-steps. But the absolute magnitude of sales aren't overwhelmingly different just yet. A million or two here and there will just be rounding errors come the end of the generation.

They've got a great opportunity to make up some ground over the next two quarters now that Titanfall seems to be great and PS4 has nothing to match it. A relatively modest price cut and some time limited bundling, plus a product that people actually want to buy, could easily translate to some decent sales figures. Far better to make the most of Titanfall now, than wait another 6-12 months while PS4 walks away with the generation without even needing to fight. Then Microsoft really would have been panicking.

Im not so sure Graham, I think Second Son will be a big ps4 title, and im not sure Titanfall will set the world alight sales wise. (not saying its not great). It just reminds me of the Wii U, where every game was its saviour...and none of them were. I can see Titanfall being a decent selling FPS and not change the world in any form.

Whether Titanfall ends up being a breakout hit or not, it's a great card to play and they need to make the most of the opportunity.

it's a card I suspect they wanted to keep up their sleeve.

Proof? They have a titanfall controller, they HAD* a titanfall console.

MS expected a new paintjob, and the game itself, would be capable of shifting units, in line with projections, when it became apparent that they would not meet the numbers, they resorted to a discount and a free copy of the game.

they're not following their roadmap, I don't think. It's been forced on them.

* past tense. it got cancelled apparently

Whether Titanfall ends up being a breakout hit or not, it's a great card to play and they need to make the most of the opportunity.

True enough. Im not sure theyve got it in them though, their marketing is terrible.

* past tense. it got cancelled apparently

Titanfall console cancelled, where?

Seems your right. How annoying.

it's clear that in this instance MS are reacting to poorer-than-expected sales TO those early adopters. They're not chasing "people who are on the fence" at this early stage.

it's like you're apologizing/making excuses for the price cut.

that's what's upsetting angel, he just wants to hear you say it's MS panicking.

It's not panicking, it's a strategy. Although no doubt they'd rather had waited with a move like this until the next holiday season, so we can safely assume sales performance is a lot lower than Microsoft would like to see otherwise they wouldn't be doing this.

Happy now?

Ps.

Xbone sucks!

It's a strategy alright, one made on the hoof, and not some pre-planned genius marketing move. Just look at Nintendo and the Wii/DS, they could afford to keep the price the same for ages, or in the case of the DS, keep on jacking up the price with every new iteration, that's the way to do it if your product is actually really popular and can walk unaided.

I don't think you'll find too many examples of early price cuts and having to do free game bundling leading to great things for any platform holder in the past, especially with strong alternatives available on the market at the same time.

If you're one of the people who has not bought an Xbox One yet but don't like the look of Titanfall, Game are doing the the Xbox One with 3 games for £419.99.

See here for more details:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/277527-xbox-one-3-games-l41999-gamecouk/

If I was looking to get an Xbox One (I'm not wild about either console right now) that wouldn't seem too bad; I spent close to £300 on my 360 Premium, but 3 games & and extra controller bumped it up to that sort of price. That said, the bundled games in that offer don't really grab me...

I'm not surprised by the price drop in the slightest. Not because of sales figures or what have you, but because I always expect these things to have a price drop within a few months of launch. I think of the launch price as being the early adopter premium price, designed to, essentially, gouge the punter who has to have it NOW. The first price drop is the same person price.

All IMO, obviously.

I'm not surprised by the price drop in the slightest. Not because of sales figures or what have you, but because I always expect these things to have a price drop within a few months of launch. I think of the launch price as being the early adopter premium price, designed to, essentially, gouge the punter who has to have it NOW. The first price drop is the same person price.

All IMO, obviously.

did you mean: sane person price?

but it's still more expensive and less powerful!

All IMO, obviously.

Big drops like this are very much the exception and not the rule. When the 3DS got its price drop it was to the sound of Nintendo shareholders getting ready to murder the current board, while the Xbox and Xbox One drops came in the face of a cheaper, better-selling competitor.

Normally the launch price is just a reasonable reflection of how stupidly expensive consoles are to develop and bring into production, and that's shed over time.

Im not so sure Graham, I think Second Son will be a big ps4 title, and im not sure Titanfall will set the world alight sales wise. (not saying its not great). It just reminds me of the Wii U, where every game was its saviour...and none of them were. I can see Titanfall being a decent selling FPS and not change the world in any form.

The hype laid on Second Son strikes me as a bit weird and I'm not sure it's going to have anywhere near the impact people seem to expect, I mean it's got lovely looking particle effects but it's not like the first two were smash hits or anything. A quick google says the last one sold around 1.6 million?

I know it's basically Sony's only big game in the first half of the year and I'm sure existing PS4 owners will want to pick it for that reason, but I can't see anyone wanting to buy the console to play it, unlike Titanfall (seemingly).