Xbox One UK price cut - now £399 bundled with Titanfall

Halo

This might sound controversial, but shouldn't MS be doing a Jason Rohrer and increasing the price every few months? That's surely the best way to evoke a sense of a premium product, and to give a big "thumbs-up" to the hardcore fans!

Does dropping the price now move the goalposts for either a further xbone price drop (either in response to further poor sales, or a reduction in manufacturing costs), or some kind of Sony price-drop response?

like, if MS do it twice in the first year, or Sony cut their price = problems?

it really is a case of "first to blink".

Obviously MS blinked first, with good reason, but are Sony playing their own game, or will they be influenced by this?

I think sony are pretty much playing their own game at this point. Any sign of MS catching up will be met with action.

I don't believe Sony can afford to drop the price, really.

The question is, do they really need to? The PS4 still £50 cheaper, and is generally perceived to be the more powerful machine. The big differentiator is Kinect, and does the general public really care about it? I have not seen anything to suggest it is a must-have for most gamers. Plus, I can see Sony being able to bundle a game or two with the console if they really need to respond to MS' price cuts.

Other than barking randomly accepted phrases at your TV in unnatural manner what the hell does Kinect bring to the table? I cant believe Microsoft didnt release with at least one or two games to show third party publishers what could be done.

Its like they totally hamstrung themselves to deliver this piece of tech that is nothing more than a little curio.

Mental.

Drop Kinect and price, unleash the powa that is held back to run the bloody thing, and then go toe to toe with Sony on a level pegging. THEN I will buy one.

Drop Kinect and price, unleash the powa that is held back to run the bloody thing, and then go toe to toe with Sony on a level pegging. THEN I will buy one.

How are they going to manage that? design another even larger SoC to accomodate the extra processing power they dropped to make room for the eSRAM they had to include because they chose to go with more, but slower main system RAM as at the time of its inception, GDDR5 was economically unfeasible at 8GB quantities and DDR4 is still not ready, Sony rolled them like they rolled 3DO back in the day, putting in an expensive part. Sony initially went with 2GB of the stuff, 8GB was seen as a pipedream.

Now that would piss off the faithful some what more than a mere 7.5% pricecut, a gimpy early adopter console.

Thats what ive been saying too, what are we all missing about Kinect, what is the secret reason they will so actively attach a dead duck to their system? I think it must be this advertising thing, viewing the room, seeing how many people are in it, advertising accordingly. Yusuf Mehdi said as much last year.

Thats what ive been saying too, what are we all missing about Kinect, what is the secret reason they will so actively attach a dead duck to their system? I think it must be this advertising thing, viewing the room, seeing how many people are in it, advertising accordingly. Yusuf Mehdi said as much last year.

laughing-puppets-o.gif

controllers are complicated, remote controls are too, NUI isn't.

Edit - Notice the subtle shift in description for what Microsoft are offering with their latest box compared to its predecessor:

Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system

Xbox® One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft

Sony have kept the same official description for every single living room box they've sold since the original for comparison.

Tinfoils back in stock at Aldi

This is nonsense, and demontrably so. There is plenty of public evidence that MS are exploring these avenues. Honestly mate you need to actually commit to an opinion, rather than bite size soundbites. Its not tinfoil time, theyve admitted as much in public.

Yeah for all the mentalness in here, to suggest that MS don't like the Kinect because of the quite frankly amazing marketing potential is arguably more tinfoil hat than saying it is.

Just think of the demographic lists that they could be compiling, it's a marketing companies wet dream. Not only their own data but it could potentially make for the most targeted adverts ever seen. Whether it actually does do all those things we don't really know but it certainly has the capabilities to do that far more than it has the capability to actually be a good controller or worth the tech inside it in regards to benefitting the user of the thing.

Other than barking randomly accepted phrases at your TV in unnatural manner what the hell does Kinect bring to the table? I cant believe Microsoft didnt release with at least one or two games to show third party publishers what could be done.

It's telling that that the biggest/most hyped exclusive for the system (and one that MS are seemingly banking big on stimulating console sales) is about to come out and it doesn't actually use the console's USP in any form.

Exactly, 5 years and nothings used it well, Dance Central is too fussy, fitness is not a game, its staring everyone in the face (pun not intended). The end user is the product being sold to marketing people, spied upon by this orwellian device under the ridiculously flimsy benefit of signing you in without pressing a button. I know when I use my 360, im always thinking...if only the sign in process required one less button press.

Angel the reason for my 'tinfoil' mention was you implying kinects inclusion was to it having a 'secret' purpose. It's not secret at all as you later said when Medhi sold it to some marketeers as a gold mine of data. Although they later recanted and said they wouldn't use it.

My personal opinion on Kinect was that it didn't want it on the Bone (go back and find my Bone bashing Supertrouper video). It was a complete waste of time on the 360 and a half baked bit of kit. On the Bone; I do like the voice commands for video and for controlling the machine and use them all the time, but if I were to have a trade off between Kinect and more powah, I'd go with better looking games. Kinects not really got ANY defining software for its inclusion yet but I think there will be some better ones than its earlier version.

As with any bit of technology it's obsolete as soon as you buy it, so a modest price cut and some bundled software shouldn't really be getting anyone's pants in a bunch. *Except if you bought it within the last couple of weeks to play Titanfall. But at the end of the day you pay the money you are willing to pay to have the experience. A lot of us early adopters had a bundled game on launch anyway. So I'm not miffed at all about a bundle or the continued inclusion of Kinect.

Oh so the quoting system cocked up for you ok doke. When i say secret im meaning...what are we missing...what is this mega corporation gaining by pissing people off with the added cost of a peripheral they cant find a good use for in 5 years of trying.

Oh so the quoting system cocked up for you ok doke. When i say secret im meaning...what are we missing...what is this mega corporation gaining by pissing people off with the added cost of a peripheral they cant find a good use for in 5 years of trying.

I can't work this out either. I couldn't believe how crap this new Kinect performs on that waterskiing demo, I'm sure it's worse than the original.

You'd be surprised at the voice commands though Angel. I can't stand the bland windows 8 look, and I love the responsiveness and design of the PS4 OS. But voice control alone makes the bone seems like the future. You're watching the football, you snap it onto the side at half time so you can see when the second half starts and in the meantime you have a look who's online and what they're playing, maybe go to the store to see if there are any deals, you expand the football back to full screen as soon as it starts again. Look mum, no hands. Having to even switch a controller on to start using your console seems primitive now.

They could have done all this with a $1 mic built into the front of the bone of course!