Xbox One UK price cut - now £399 bundled with Titanfall

Halo

Creating a new thread for visibility rather than having it buried in the Xbox One thread.

The Guardian: Xbox One gets price cut to £399 with free copy of Titanfall:

Microsoft has announced that it is cutting the price of its Xbox One console. From 28 February, the machine will be available in the UK for £399.99, which is £30 less than the current retail estimate though stores will be free to discount further. Right now, the reduction is exclusive to the UK.

Perhaps more importantly, from 14 March for a limited time, the console will be bundled with a download code for the hugely anticipated sci-fi shooter, Titanfall. The package will come with one months free access to Xbox Live Gold, the subscription-based online gaming service that is needed for all multiplayer titles.

RRP was previously £429

Interesting. I wonder why just for the UK? Have sales here being particularly poor compared to other regions? I know we were a strong 360 region so perhaps MS are concerned that similar success is not being achieved with the One. £400 and Titanfall isn't a bad deal compared to the previous price of £430 solus. Still not enough to get me to jump but heading in the right direction. £300 without Kinect would be nice.

Well the 360 did really well for Microsoft (in the UK) and I recall that Sony were reporting that the PS4 was selling at 1:5 to 1 XB1; so a price reduction along with a hyped console exclusive system seller (hopefully for Microsoft) will help boost sales here in the UK

Who knows, it may cause Sony to respond with a £349.99 with Infamous Second Son

It doesn't strike me as a desperate measure as it is only a modest reduction but it does bring the price down below that nasty £400. People are used to seeing bundled software so I don't think that devalues the brand either, overall it looks like a smart move. I'd get one if I wasn't poor.

As I said in the other thread it's welcome to see. Not enough for me as titanfall isn't a particularly taxing game and can be played on a half decent PC, and its likely the 360 version will be fine.

Strange if this is just for the UK. If they see it as such an important market though you'd think they would do a lot more to get one of its flagship features (proper tv integration) working with virgin and sky. Or at least give a date when it will.

Can people come up with a single example of a pricecut harming a console? I can't.

The Wii U, it made them look desperate. The N64, same thing and pissed off a lot of owners. OG xbox, same reasons again. The PSP Go. The Dreamcast. Any more?

The Wii U, it made them look desperate. The N64, same thing and pissed off a lot of owners. OG xbox, same reasons again. The PSP Go. The Dreamcast. Any more?

I think you'd struggle to say those didn't stimulate demand though - you think the OG Xbox would have sold better at £300? The Wii U at $299?

MS getting to play the "keep your ailing console afloat with price cuts and exclusives" game now. They'd need to have some better moves than Nintendo!

It can't be a good place for them to be, they got used to being the multiplatform machine of choice with the 360. Didn't they close most of their 1st party dev studios?

On the other side, I hope Sony don't get complacent and stop making so much 1st party stuff.

I think you'd struggle to say those didn't stimulate demand though - you think the OG Xbox would have sold better at £300? The Wii U at $299?

That's the most purposefully ignorant argument you could possibly make. Nobody said that things don't sell better at a low price, they challenged your statement that price cuts are blanket good news, when the bad will surrounding the original N64 and Xbox examples clearly provide a visible example of price cuts not always being good news.

What's relevant isn't whether things sell better once they're discounted, it's that price cuts have not historically been great for every thing that ever had one. If I was arguing in your style I could use the "failure" of the original xbox, PSP Go and the ongoing failure of the Wii U as evidence that price cuts are bad and ruin consoles. Because apparently taking one extreme example and using it to justify blanket assertions makes sense in your world.

Also forgetting to mention that you get Kinect forced in whereas you have to pay £50 (?) for a camera on PS4

Fixed that for you.

I, like many, would have rather saved £50/£100 and not had the Kinect in the first place. Sony has it right.

That is true. I'm just saying that it's kinda cheaper for an Xbox One than a PS4 now if you discount the game and camera price. Kinda.

All marketing, and I mean ALL...is about perceived value. Do you look at a cheap new Skoda or something and think wow that must be great...nope...you eye it up with suspicion. Cheap price gives a certain impression of maybe this is not so good. Ultimate examples...Nintendo games and Apple products. Reassuringly expensive.

I think the bone should have begun at 399 at most. This price cut is a real gamble, so by definition they must be worried.

That's the most purposefully ignorant argument you could possibly make. Nobody said that things don't sell better at a low price, they challenged your statement that price cuts are blanket good news, when the bad will surrounding the original N64 and Xbox examples clearly provide a visible example of price cuts not always being good news.

What's relevant isn't whether things sell better once they're discounted, it's that price cuts have not historically been great for every thing that ever had one.

If they sell better after a pricecut, then does the "bad news" have any visible or noticeable effect though?

You.

Where?