rllmuk
Harsin

Amazon Prime Video

Are you watching for long before giving up? In my experience, it does get good, but it takes a lot longer than other services. YouTube and Netflix are practically instant these days, but Amazon is crap quality for a bit at the beginning. 

I've not had that kind of experience myself. I haven't noticed it taking long to crank up the resolution, but whether it does or not it certainly reaches a steady 1080p. I've not tried it on an iPad though.

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Are you watching for long before giving up? In my experience, it does get good, but it takes a lot longer than other services. YouTube and Netflix are practically instant these days, but Amazon is crap quality for a bit at the beginning. 

I gave it 2 or 3 minutes before I got impatient and started skipping around and fiddling with options. I'll try it again and give it longer.

Its not as instant as netflix but never will be as I understand it - Netflix have servers at all the main ISPs so the streaming is coming to you from a lot closer a physical location.

Amazon don't do this, I get 1080p and even 4k from Amazon where they have within a short wait, 10-20s usually on a fat Virgin cable connection.

Amazon is shockingly bad on my Virgin 200 mb connection. Takes an age to go full 1080p. I hate to think how long a 4K program would take to reach that resolution. Netflix never has any issue at all with going for the best resolution.

Hadn't seen anything about it but Halt & Catch Fire season 4 (only first couple of eps, new ep every monday) popped up last night on my Amazon recommended list

Love this show, timeline moved on a bit again and we're in the early days of mainstream internet pickup and usage, I loved the first 2.

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

Hadn't seen anything about it but Halt & Catch Fire season 4 (only first couple of eps, new ep every monday) popped up last night on my Amazon recommended list

Love this show, timeline moved on a bit again and we're in the early days of mainstream internet pickup and usage, I loved the first 2.

I noticed this yesterday too. Watched the first one yesterday, and I'll catch up with the second today. Still one of my favourite shows. :)

It's weird to see it so hidden on Amazon at the moment though. It's buried under several dead shows on the site, some of which have finished, and doesn't have any promotion whatsoever.

I don't think this ever found an audience really, which is a shame - 'its Mad Men for the early days of the PC and internet boom' seems a relatively easy idea to sell

Think like Mad Men its critically loved but not watched in large numbers.

Shame as its great.

There's no way that Cameron's game would be possible in 1993/4 when it's set though. And she was working for Atari the whole time?! Was it a prototype Jaguar game?

Still, I feel bad for her ex-husband Tom, getting a bigwig job at Sega just in time to witness its precipitous decline.

Is there anyway we can change the name of this thread to something  like "amazon prime video" so its easier to serach for? i didnt know it existed till going thorugh a few pages as i had tried searching for that and was hoping to find some recommendations as prime is such a ballache to navigate!

and i did, that halt and catch fire sounds interesting! :)

I really enjoyed the 'Animal Kingdom' tv series' on there, S2 finished last week. Thought S2 was much stronger then S1 and some of the characters are starting to develop in interesting ways. Ended on a bit of a cliffhanger too. No one else watching it? S3 has been commissioned.

I dont think it's as good as the Australian movie it's based on but that's quite a hard act to follow as that's a fantastic film. And thats also on Prime -  so watch it first before you start the TV series.

I've also recently enjoyed 'The Buerau', France/Syria/Iran set espionage thing from Canal TV, 2 seasons, in French with subs.  Really good. 

I concur also that 'Halt and Catch Fire' and 'Hell on Wheels' are well worth some time.

Working my way through 'Black Sails' now, and it's a riot.

Gave up on 'Hand of God' halfway through 1st season as I accidentally read a S2 spoiler which gave the game away.

I really enjoyed the first season of Mr Robot, but started watching season 2 recently and for some reason it's just not hitting me. It feels like a story that has run its course and is just carrying on. Maybe I was just not in the right mood.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the Halt and Catch Fire recommendations. Really great guys, I’m in the shit now.

Basically, sat down for a few minutes earlier and was browsing on my Fire TV, recalled the positive comments here, thought I’d take just a quick peak at HACF and I ended up entranced and then watched the first five episodes without a break, oblivious to my wife doing the housework we usually share around me, whilst she was quietly getting increasingly annoyed that I’d started a new show without her. I’ve tried to downplay how good it is and say it’s all geeky computer stuff she wouldn’t be interested in, but that hasn’t really worked. Looks like I’ve got some making up to do!

• Upvote 1

Hmm, Joe Cornish has been attached to direct a film adaptation of Snow Crash for several years now. Let's see if he's mentioned alongside this...

Paramount Television is co-producing the show, and Joe Cornish (Attack the Block) and Frank Marshall (Back to the Future) are attached as executive producers.

:D Nice to see! I wonder if he's really involved with this series, or if his name's just there for contractual reasons because of development work on the film version?

Just got into Halt and Catch Fire, following it being pointed out to me by @DeciderVT (thank you very much :-D).

Great show - an absolute TV obsession for me! Now two-thirds through series 2.

For the uninitiated;

H&CF deftly weaves documentary and drama and is backed by great performances, much like Mad Men before it (both are AMC shows and you can see the similarities). But where Mad Men was set amongst the boom of the advertising industry, H&CF's boom is the personal computer business. H&CF isn't as flashy as Mad Men, but is all the more authentic and heartfelt because of it IMO. The name of the show really didn't help get its message out there - what were they thinking! It's quite an important show too; H&CF is for anyone with an interest in making and/or selling things, or perhaps moreso, for those who don't but perhaps should.

The show makes me wistful for a more hands-on method of making computerised technology, and also, for places like the old Texas Instruments site in my hometown, that got shutdown the year I finished my A-Levels and was where I did work experience. The first non-US site of TI's, it was setup in 1957 just before Jack Kilby invented the IC, and staff came up with a ton of innovations there. The space is now being owned by land speculators, renting out office and conference rooms...

Despite the current realworld doom and gloom amidst the backdrop of usury and landlords though, H&CF helps to remind that a properly working economy, where people can be productive, wealthy and satisfied through making amazing things, may be just around the corner after all.

I've banged on about it quite a bit in the end! It's really rather brilliant :-)

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Halt and Catch Fire, season 4 is drawing to a close now and the last couple of episodes in particular have been excellent. It's been getting to me like no show has managed in quite some time. Just two to go now, including today's. :(

• Upvote 1

Has anyone mentioned Patriot yet? It's seriously good, perhaps the best new show I have watched all year. It's a dark, quirky, melancholic comedy, really really well done. I highly recommend it.

• Upvote 1