rllmuk
Harsin

Amazon Prime Video

There is enough on Prime for me and the missus to watch a show a night, which is all we really want.

We are currently working through the low-key Aussie comedy Please Like Me, which amuses me in the same way as Alan Partridge stuff, but with a very different context. I have also enjoyed Mozart in the Jungle and Transparent recently.

There is a spattering of decent films too. I recommend Song of the Sea very highly - it has a great Ghibli vibe and the animation style is gorgeous.

Another annoyance on Amazon is they randomly put an advert at the start of whatever you're going to watch. 'Did you know you can watch Amazon Video on your tablet and phone?'. Yes I do, because I'm actually watching this advert on my iPad.

On 10/31/2016 at 07:53, Gotters said:

The tumbleweed in this thread makes me thinks very few people watch amazon prime video (get same impression at work from folks who have a succession of boxes arrive at their desk but only mention Netflix shows)

There are some gems on here though, just started AMC's spiritual tech successor to Mad Men, Halt and Catch Fire. 3 eps in and really enjoying the early 80s vibe as a tech company set out to reverse engineer the IBM pc. 

I have it because of Amazon Prime, kids enjoy watching some shows like Just add Magic & Annedroids.

It has some decent shows like Mr Robot, Man in the High Castle, Hand of God & Hell on Wheels.

I'm watching Now TV more at the moment than Netflix or Amazon Prime.

New series gone up today from one of their pilots which I enjoyed, Sneaky Pete.

Bryan Cranston in it and is exec producer, its about a con man who nicks the identity, and moves in with the family, of a bloke he bunked with in prison, in order to escape the mob. Nothing super original but enjoyed the pilot 

Watched the pilot back when they released it in 2015, and it did seem worth watching more. Amazon can't be bothered letting me see it on their own streaming service though. They launched it worldwide, but the only new show they seem to make available is The Grand Tour. This and High Castle season 2 are locked out. 

Seinfeld being available instantly in HD is just amazing guys.

Think I'll skip the next series of The Grand Tour, it's been really poor overall. Just give James May a documentary series instead.

I have a love hate relationship with Mr Robot, I've quit in once, but gone back.

Really enjoyed the Sneaky Pete pilot. Tweeted at amazon asking when the series was coming a while ago and they said there were no plans, so a full series is a happy surprise.

I finished Sneaky Pete last night and really enjoyed it, its kind of stupid and stretches credulity a few times, but you'll know if its going to irritate you from the premise in the first couple of eps.

Series builds quite well too and the last couple of eps are very satisfying

I'm definitely going to give Sneaky Pete and Goliath a go.

There's been a real lack of movie additions in recent times for some reason. Amazon can't ignore that side of their video service. 

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Their movies only stay on for a short length of time. They are going down the route of tv only I think.

I'm ok with the length of time but dismissing that side would be a bad move. 

Sneaky Pete is silly but lightweight fun. The biggest let down to me was Cranston, his character wasn't well written and he didn't act it much better.

Goliath... only three episodes in but great so far. Billy Bob Thornton is amazing as usual

2 hours ago, Scribblor said:

It turns out Parks and Recreation is as good as everyone says. Who knew? 

All seven series are on Amazon. Watch it, if you haven't seen it.

Just making my way through it now. Season 1 is good but then it gets better and better. The opening of season 2 with 'Parents just don't understand' and the whole Practice date episode is amazing.

Can't say the acting is anything other than usual American tv standard. A lot better than CW shows anyway. 

Though I have always appreciated Lee Pace and think Mackenzie Davis is great anyway. 

On 21/03/2017 at 08:14, Gotters said:

I loved Halt & Catch Fire - binged all 3 seasons in a fortnight last year.

Think the 4th series due later this year is the last.

I've just done something similar. What a show. Season 3 especially is absolutely stellar. 

Recently got Amazon Prime and I can't believe how bad the app is on PS4. It's genuinely, utterly awful. I tried browsing it for 5-10 minutes and just got fed up and launched Netflix.

Why do you have to switch back to 'Prime only' every single time you go back to the homescreen? Why are TV shows not bundled together as one entity but separated into individual seasons, so you'll come across, say, Parks and Recs Season 4 and have to delve several layers deeper to find the other seasons?

It's not intuitive or nice to use at all. It's one of those apps where you start losing your bearings really easily. It makes Netflix's app, which is hardly perfect, seem fucking superlative in comparison.

I recently got Prime as well (I'm doing the month free trial thing as I needed something delivered on the day). I'm using the app on an iPad at the moment - I could do it though the telly via the PS4 but we only have wifi here so it wouldn't be any better.

Anyway, the quality is shit. It's like YouTube 10 years ago on a dial up connection. 240p or lower and a smeary blocky mess (you can't read the titles of most films). If I switch to Netflix (or YouTube) on the same device, it instantly does 1080p without issues. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been in the options and I've changed to highest quality but that made no difference at all.

As it stands, Prime is getting cancelled at the end of the 30 day period. I'd be inclined to keep it for a bit if the videos actually worked.