Amazon Prime Video

Harsin

28 minutes ago, smac said:

Yay! I need to get back into it - I burned out a little after binging on it.

We've been rewatching The X Files from the start - when it's good, it's great. Just watched The Post-Modern Prometheus Episode; superb 'cinematography'.

I've finally, watched X Files from season 1-9 after starting a rewatch a couple of times over the years. I usually lost interest after the first movie but hung on for once and it isn't quite the train wreck I was expecting.

I found the Doggett and Reyes pairing quite watchable (especially with Scully still pitching in) but the main conspiracy thread that runs through the whole thing is utter bollocks (that final episode is just a total mess!), happily there are still plenty of interesting one off episodes inbetween everything!

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I've finally, watched X Files from season 1-9 after starting a rewatch a couple of times over the years. I usually lost interest after the first movie but hung on for once and it isn't quite the train wreck I was expecting.

I found the Doggett and Reyes pairing quite watchable (especially with Scully still pitching in) but the main conspiracy thread that runs through the whole thing is utter bollocks (that final episode is just a total mess!), happily there are still plenty of interesting one off episodes inbetween everything!

Yeah, it's the one-off/'creature of the week' episodes that are strongest, especially when they decide to have a little fun with the characters. The early phases of the conspiracy, the 'black oil' episodes with Alex Kryczeck (sp?) are the better ones - the pace slows when it moves onto Scully's cancer and the wider abduction plots (which is about where we are, now).

Finished watching The Magicians. It's a magic/fantasy series about students at a Hogwarts-type university. Although it's very derivative, and clearly based on Harry Potter and Narnia, It's very entertaining trashy TV in the vein of Buffy, but with some much darker moments. 

Yeah, I really enjoyed The Magicians. I think the first season might have been the strongest, but it lightened up a lot after that and offered some wonderfully silly episodes amongst the darker stuff. It's not the greatest show in the world or anything, but it was good fun.

On 06/01/2021 at 07:11, denisb said:

I’m halfway through truth seekers pegg and frost do xfiles/Scooby doo

How can you only be halfway through it??? I started the first episode and, well, then it was all over, in a blur, it was great and I want more.... I am also STILL a bit jumpy about that thing with the massive beak, don't do ANYTHING even remotely scary :lol:

Anyone watched The 100? I ignored it initially but gave it a chance.

Probably one of the best sci-fi shows I’ve seen. Every season is completely different in scope with some great character development. It’s rare to have a show with so many great characters.

Season 6-7 is pay only unfortunately but the first 5 seasons are all great!

On 30/12/2020 at 14:00, MikeBeaver said:

Came out on SNES, not sure if it got a UK release, but I remember the box from the old indie shop I worked in, it was always the same copy of the game sitting on the shelf, occasionally someone would trade somethign for it and bring it back on their next visit, I've a strong feeling it was pretty shit .

brings back memories.

Never played it but heard it was shit

I've just noticed 3 series of Terrahawks is available on Prime. I haven't seen this since my youth, I remember fondly going to by nans on Saturdays and watching it with my cousins each week, although I'm certain I've not seen all 3 series.

It's going to be a bit shit isn't it.

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

I've just noticed 3 series of Terrahawks is available on Prime. I haven't seen this since my youth, I remember fondly going to by nans on Saturdays and watching it with my cousins each week, although I'm certain I've not seen all 3 series.

It's going to be a bit shit isn't it.

It’s awful!  Shame as I loved it back in the day 

11 minutes ago, Mars said:

Yeah, it's a proper 'descent into hell' vibe, the above shows plus Sons of Anarchy nail it. They can be grippingly bleak. 

I've not seen any Sons of Anarchy but it stands comparison with those then I'll add it to the list...

11 hours ago, probotector said:

Anyone watched The 100? I ignored it initially but gave it a chance.

Probably one of the best sci-fi shows I’ve seen. Every season is completely different in scope with some great character development. It’s rare to have a show with so many great characters.

Season 6-7 is pay only unfortunately but the first 5 seasons are all great!

I think it’s better generally over its first half or so seasons. The last few have got a bit too crazy for me personally and the characters get a bit confused to me. But when it’s good it’s great fun.

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Sons of Anarchy does also plumb some depths of dumbness too though.

As does the shield, I'd say - the mix of bravado, ambition and then handling the resulting fallout is part of the charm for me. Both definitely less serious than the wire or breaking bad, etc. 

I guess there is a certain amount of insanity built into the premise of each show, it sets the scene for the human acts of depravity that follow. Falling from a grace that was never reached in the first place. Trying to control chaos and wield it in the protagonist's favour. 

26 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I've not seen any Sons of Anarchy but it stands comparison with those then I'll add it to the list...

It might be an acquired taste but it has the brotherhood/politics/grey areas of law and order/corruption/mega violence of these sorts of shows. Like some of them, it spans many series and isn't always consistent. But the gut punches are there. 

Finished our second watchthrough(?) of The Office US version last night, after going through it first time round a few years ago.

Sooo good - better than the UK version (!) (which by comparison we find more uncomfortably spiteful).

9 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Thing is, Sons of Anarchy has a shit ending, whereas The Shield has a great ending.

It's one of my favourite series of all time and I still haven't watched the last 2 seasons. SoA is fantastic, with dumb moments, but fucking hell that last season went silly.

Which is weird, because Kurt Sutter worked on both shows. 

Not sure you can really compare Sons of Anarchy with The Wire, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, etc.

It's great fun, but incredibly pulpy and cheesy and ridiculous.  Which is fine. It works, and I really enjoyed it, but it's not in the same class.

started the 8 part 'mini' series Little Fires Everywhere last night having seen it discussed on an old Gogglebox episode from the summer - Rees Witherspoon is cast again as the perfect suburban American mom living a wealthy privileged lifestyle and the show starts with her mansion burning down, then goes back 4 months earlier to I suspect unfold events leading to it happening.

first episode seemed pretty slow but built up a solid foundation of late 90s US 'perfection' in the designed town, a newcomer coming to town in the artist single mum working several jobs to pay her way and showing how the 2 families inter mingle and become entwined. 

its an adaption of a book I've never heard of - anybody watched and got a view on the show, initial view is promising if not a million miles away from Big Little Lies.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

started the 8 part 'mini' series Little Fires Everywhere last night having seen it discussed on an old Gogglebox episode from the summer - Rees Witherspoon is cast again as the perfect suburban American mom living a wealthy privileged lifestyle and the show starts with her mansion burning down, then goes back 4 months earlier to I suspect unfold events leading to it happening.

first episode seemed pretty slow but built up a solid foundation of late 90s US 'perfection' in the designed town, a newcomer coming to town in the artist single mum working several jobs to pay her way and showing how the 2 families inter mingle and become entwined. 

its an adaption of a book I've never heard of - anybody watched and got a view on the show, initial view is promising if not a million miles away from Big Little Lies.

Me and my wife both really enjoyed it. The story progresses really well and definitely hooks you in. I preferred Big Little Lies, but this ain’t far behind.

On 04/01/2021 at 22:56, Mike S said:

It is definitely up there with the Wire, Breaking Bad, and also The Sopranos (I cannot be doing with GoT) in terms of TV drama although I'd not go as far as saying it is hands down better. The ever escalating story arc reminds me a little of BB in the way it just keeps increasing the tension and the madness.

Really looking forward to a re-watch.

I'm watching this now based on these recommendations. Actually, I watched some of the first season at the time it came out, but it didn't grab me. Happy to give it a reappraisal now.

However, does it get beyond episodes like this?:

Captain: I know you're a dirty cop, Mackie, and I'm going to prove it.

* Vic hides the evidence at last second. *

Vic: Haha! Better luck next time, chief!

Captain: Mackie!!!

I just started watching Coherence, as I saw it had good reviews and fancied some sci-fi, but so far it might as well be called Middle Class White People Freaking Out the Movie and I instantly hated all the characters :lol:

Spoiler

The character on their phone while driving at night at the start didn't exactly endear me to them and it all went downhill from there.

EDIT: actually once they're all at each other's throats it's quite entertaining.

On 10/01/2021 at 09:15, Pelekophoros said:

It's one of my favourite series of all time and I still haven't watched the last 2 seasons. SoA is fantastic, with dumb moments, but fucking hell that last season went silly.

Which is weird, because Kurt Sutter worked on both shows. 

The last 10 mins of SoA is the worst thing I have ever seen - it's not even competent.

Quality is something that can be fixed but I do wish there was a way around older shows having wierd (ie, entirely normal until recently) aspect ratios. I always feel like that ages them more than anything else, and it feels like such an unfair observation for me to make. :(