Amazon Prime Video

On 16/08/2020 at 08:40, Triple A said:

Started The Handmaid’s Tale.

There’s stuff I love about it, but god it’s depressing, slow, and on-the-nose.

I *think* I’ll continue with it?

The first series is worth a watch - it pretty much covers the book. the second series doubles down on being slow and depressing.

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

The first series is worth a watch - it pretty much covers the book. the second series doubles down on being slow and depressing.

There's two books now. The sequel isn't very good. I read it for the second time last month and compared to the first, it's just disappointing.

I'm watching Preacher. Just started season 2. It's really strange and violent and one of those TV series where if you suspend your disbelief, it's amazing.

10 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

There's two books now. The sequel isn't very good. I read it for the second time last month and compared to the first, it's just disappointing.

I'm watching Preacher. Just started season 2. It's really strange and violent and one of those TV series where if you suspend your disbelief, it's amazing.

The first couple of seasons of Preacher are great, it falls apart towards the end unfortunately.

The Great Train Robbery

An excellent 2 parter with the story from two viewpoints - part one from the criminals and part two from the police. Luke Evans and Jim Broadbent both really shine as two opposing sides of the law.

Recommended

On 17/08/2020 at 21:44, neoELITE said:

Yeah, it felt a bit like fan fiction. 

Just finished watching the final season of The Americans, so good. I thought season five meandered about, but six was an absolute blinder and taken as a whole it was such a compelling show.

What can I watch next that’s as good?

7 hours ago, Alask said:

Just finished watching the final season of The Americans, so good. I thought season five meandered about, but six was an absolute blinder and taken as a whole it was such a compelling show.

What can I watch next that’s as good?

Such a great show, loved it.

For things just on Prime? Had a quick think and have a look at these, but all depends on what type of genre you would like to watch tbh:

Deutschland 83 / 86
Mr Robot
The Looming Tower
Halt and Catch Fire
Mad Men
The Expanse
Utopia
The Boys
Bosch
The Night Manager

HTH

I've been enjoying Hell On Wheels, though I'll be honest, I saw the name and assumed it was going to be something along the lines of Sons of Anarchy. But in typical Amazon fashion the final season isn't available with Prime. Thankfully it's on U.S Netflix.

On 20/08/2020 at 13:57, Triple A said:

H&CF is my favourite boxset telly show evar.  Man it's so good and I envy those watching it for the first time.

This prompted me to start watching it, we’re 4 eps in and enjoying it a lot.

It’s funny, it’s really cheesy and by the numbers for much of it, but lots of surprise moments too and it really keeps you watching.

While it’s of course a show on a subject matter all of us here should like and give natural buy in to, it’s the character writing that makes it really special.  I was very sad to leave them by the end.

Performances are great too - Scoot McNairy, Lee Pace and Kerry Bishé ought to be huge stars. Real shame that Mackenzie Davis got typecast as well.

It's brilliant. The first season is quite different to the other three, although all four seasons shake things up in some way. Like Triple A says it really is the characters that make it special.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

It's brilliant. The first season is quite different to the other three, although all four seasons shake things up in some way. Like Triple A says it really is the characters that make it special.

Does it improve after the first episode then? I barely made it to the end  and wasn’t feeling it

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

Also I love the opening credits! Like a ZX81 manual cover come to life.

Oh yeah, the intro is the few I'd never dream of skipping. :D

2 hours ago, sandman said:

Does it improve after the first episode then? I barely made it to the end  and wasn’t feeling it

Well yes, but while it's been a while I definitely remember enjoying it from the start. It's one of my favourite shows off all time, but that doesn't mean everyone's got to have the same opinion. ;)

Ah man, not a great movie by any stretch, but if you like 80s oddities, or are an animation fan, check out Rock and Rule on prime.

I had never heard of it before, but it popped up on my recommendations. Yup. They got me pegged.

Yeah, that's a cult movie.

We rented our first ever digital movies this weekend, on Prime.

We watched the new Inivisible Man, and Colour out of Space, both of which were pretty good, both priced at £4.99 (or £4.49, can't remember).  We would have gone to see both of these at the cinema this year, but couldn't due to Covid-19, so felt comfortable paying this amount to watch at home.  I remember earlier in the year whatever was the first would-have-been-a-cinema-release was launched on some VoD service for £16 or something, which I thought was totally taking the piss.  I was expecting a similar price for these, so pleasantly surprised it was more reasonable.  Will probably watch the David Copperfield film in a few days as well.

The fact that your rental only lets you watch it once feels a bit snide.  You've got 48 hours to finish after you start, but something like a 24 hour or 48 hour proper rental would have felt better. I know you only get one watch for a cinema ticket, but you're guaranteed perfect, uninterrupted watching conditions in the cinema.  Still, not bad.

33 minutes ago, bobin said:

You rent them for 48 hours from when you first watch them.  You can watch Nic Cage again!

Are you sure?  I've not actually tried, but the blurb says you have 1 month to watch the film, and 48 hours to finish it, once you've started.  

If that 48 hours allows you to rewatch, that's cool, but the wording of the blurb didn't suggest that.

13 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

Are you sure?  I've not actually tried, but the blurb says you have 1 month to watch the film, and 48 hours to finish it, once you've started.  

If that 48 hours allows you to rewatch, that's cool, but the wording of the blurb didn't suggest that.

It does

On 23/08/2020 at 13:03, Ste Pickford said:

We rented our first ever digital movies this weekend, on Prime.

We watched the new Inivisible Man, and Colour out of Space, both of which were pretty good, both priced at £4.99 (or £4.49, can't remember).  We would have gone to see both of these at the cinema this year, but couldn't due to Covid-19, so felt comfortable paying this amount to watch at home.  I remember earlier in the year whatever was the first would-have-been-a-cinema-release was launched on some VoD service for £16 or something, which I thought was totally taking the piss.  I was expecting a similar price for these, so pleasantly surprised it was more reasonable.  Will probably watch the David Copperfield film in a few days as well.

The fact that your rental only lets you watch it once feels a bit snide.  You've got 48 hours to finish after you start, but something like a 24 hour or 48 hour proper rental would have felt better. I know you only get one watch for a cinema ticket, but you're guaranteed perfect, uninterrupted watching conditions in the cinema.  Still, not bad.

The Invisible Man was priced at around 15 quid to rent earlier in the year, it only dropped to a fiver or so within the past month or two.

I can understand why though, I think it was only out at UK cinemas for 2-3 weeks before lockdown happened so it had its cinema run cut completely short and it's not realistic to expect a lot of movies to make a decent profit on £5 rentals when they didn't have a proper cinema run first.

6 minutes ago, Majora said:

The Invisible Man was priced at around 15 quid to rent earlier in the year, it only dropped to a fiver or so within the past month or two.

I can understand why though, I think it was only out at UK cinemas for 2-3 weeks before lockdown happened so it had its cinema run cut completely short and it's not realistic to expect a lot of movies to make a decent profit on £5 rentals when they didn't have a proper cinema run first.

Ah yeah, I think it might have been Invisible Man that was £15 at the start of lockdown, which is more than I could stomach paying for a rental.  

I suppose it is quite a long time since its release, but time is weird this year, and with lockdown and everything, it feels like a brand new film.

We watched David Copperfield last night, for the same price (£4.49 or £4.99), and that's pretty much brand new, isn't it?

I admit I don't know really know the economics of cinema, but I would guess that when you buy a cinema ticket a vast chunk of that fee is going to the cinema chain, paying for the building, the staff, the lighting and heating, etc., as well as profit for the cinema chain, with only a proportion going back to the film makers.  With a digital download, it's pretty much all going to the filmmakers (minus the streaming service cut - 30%?), so trying to charge the same as a cinema ticket feels like opportunism to me.