rllmuk
Harsin

Amazon Prime Video

I love The Guest, great film.

• Upvote 3

21 Bridges has been added today.

• Upvote 3

Finished season 6 of Bosch last weekend and I think this has been one of the best seasons, I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than season 5. I think this has been one of the best seasons, I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than season 5. The criminals are usually the least interesting parts to Bosch in my opinion, the only one I really remember from before was Jeri Ryan; so I am happy for them to take a back seat to all the main cast's parallel and intersecting storylines.  It's been a good comfort watch.

The show is cartoonish, I mean, characters like Honey Chandler could have come straight out of a Phoenix Wright game.  At the same time but  it also feel grounded, like people just getting on with mundane daily life.  Sometimes cases just end randomly in ways that feel quite real.  One loose end that I never felt resolved was the whole triad plot from a couple of seasons back and how Reggie just disappeared to HK, it didn't feel like something Bosch would just let lie.  One final season to go.

• Upvote 2

On 22/04/2020 at 09:25, gospvg said:

21 Bridges has been added today.

Not a bad watch this if a bit too obvious. They don’t seem to make too many films like this anymore which is a shame. Decent cast too. Was A bit worried that Sienna Miller was in it but she was actually pretty decent. Black Panther is a solid lead and anything with J K Simmons in it is always going to be watchable. 

They didn’t make enough of the central premise though really.

• Upvote 1

On 18/04/2020 at 15:35, One Eye said:

More Bosch. Season 6 landed today. 

Bosch was disappointingly higher quality than I wanted or expected.

Maybe it's always been better than I think it is and maybe I genuinely like it as opposed to liking its dreadfulness.  Grargh.  They've suckered me in with the shit stuff then turned on the quality.

Anyway, it's still a relative fucking  calalcade of bullshit in a good way.  

• Upvote 1

The Borderlands has been added which is a pretty decent found footage style horror. I remember Kermode enthusing about it upon it's initial release. 

• Upvote 1

Finished "Upload" from Greg Daniels (US Office, Parks and Rec etc). Interesting premise, sort of an optimistic Black Mirror. I liked the cast and the world. Would certainly watch a second season if it gets one. Looking forward to his other show Space Force coming to Netflix at the end of the month.

• Upvote 1

On 29/04/2020 at 01:08, Bucky said:

Bosch was disappointingly higher quality than I wanted or expected.

Maybe it's always been better than I think it is and maybe I genuinely like it as opposed to liking its dreadfulness.  Grargh.  They've suckered me in with the shit stuff then turned on the quality.

Anyway, it's still a relative fucking  calalcade of bullshit in a good way.  

I think we need to all embrace our love of the Bosch, its not going to win any awards, its as cliche as they come, but bloody hell its addictive. It just seems to be full of very dry, yet charismatic individuals and it makes for such easy viewing. Season 6 was really solid, I am fully on board for Season 7.

Spoiler

This fucking guy though.

482290.jpg

Really grinds my gears, the slimeball. :lol:

Ozark and Better Call Saul it is not, but its very good at what it does.

• Upvote 1

On 02/05/2020 at 22:25, Skull Commander said:

The Borderlands has been added which is a pretty decent found footage style horror. I remember Kermode enthusing about it upon it's initial release. 

I still involuntarily shudder when I think about the last sequence in that.

Alice Fraser's stand up show, Savage, is worth watching. Funny, yes, but also rather powerful and intimate.

• Upvote 1

Are more and more adverts getting put at the start of Prime? I usually only watch Amazon "Originals" and rarely, if ever, had these pre-show adverts for other things to watch. I'm going through Bob's Burgers again and it seems like every other episode I'm getting told to watch Hunters for 20-30 seconds. It is becoming really obnoxious.

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, pledge said:

Are more and more adverts getting put at the start of Prime? I usually only watch Amazon "Originals" and rarely, if ever, had these pre-show adverts for other things to watch. I'm going through Bob's Burgers again and it seems like every other episode I'm getting told to watch Hunters for 20-30 seconds. It is becoming really obnoxious.

Been more and more for a while now.

What really annoyed me was all the adverts for "Upload" while i was sat watching "Upload".

• Upvote 1

21 Bridges is good. It's as predictable as rain in Wales, but the good kind of predictable that you can roll with and enjoy. 

• Upvote 2

I agree it’s strangely enjoyable. Felt like the type of movie Hollywood regularly churned out in the 90s, before superhero movies took over.

• Upvote 2

Anyone else getting really sick of how dogshit the captions are on Prime? Even on Amazon's prestige shows like Ripper Street it's full of stuff that is obviously false from context (mixing up he and she) and the captions frequently just read "[INAUDIBLE]" where the line's a little hard to make out. (Which is when you need captions!) I watched a movie with a Scottish cast last month (not even in Scots, just Scottish actors) and the captions were just an absolute wall of nonsense. The little stuff that does seem to be captioned correctly is stuff that's been available on home media already, like The X-Files.

It seems like Amazon's in-house captioning is just automatic speech to text that's been very crudely cleaned up line by line by someone who doesn't have access to either the original audio or any of the other lines. (Which given how Amazon normally does things is probably true.)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Anyone else getting really sick of how dogshit the captions are on Prime? Even on Amazon's prestige shows like Ripper Street it's full of stuff that is obviously false from context (mixing up he and she) and they captions frequently just read "[INAUDIBLE]" where the line's a little hard to make out. (Which is when you need captions!) I watched a movie with a Scottish cast last month (not even in Scots, just Scottish actors) and the captions were just an absolute wall of nonsense. The little stuff that does seem to be captioned correctly is stuff that's been available on home media already, like The X-Files.

It seems like Amazon's in-house captioning is just automatic speech to text that's been very crudely cleaned up line by line by someone who doesn't have access to either the original audio or any of the other lines. (Which given how Amazon normally does things is probably true.)

Alex, what you don't realise is that the captions are being done live whenever someone turns them on. Jeff keeps his 'subtitle cadre' locked in small cages, and they're hungry, upset and sometimes have to type with numerous broken digits. 

Most of the time they don't even have earphones on to hear what's happening, so they're doing a lot of it by reading the actors' lips.

Andrew Marr did a documentary about it last year.

• Upvote 6

I feel bad about watching the three hour documentary about the people who read the fine print at the end of pharmaceutical commercials now.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Alex W. said:

I feel bad about watching the three hour documentary about the people who read the fine print at the end of pharmaceutical commercials now.

Many good people died that day.

• Upvote 4

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes a film or TV series is listed in more than one place under different ASINs: one version included with Prime, the other purchase/rental only?

The split isn't 4K vs HD. It looks like the difference might be related to whether they have BBFC ratings or Amazon's own:

I noticed this again a couple of days ago when some seasons of Archer included with Prime turned up in my recommendations, but searching for "amazon prime archer" on Google came up with a different, purchase-only result:

Yes, I’ve noticed this before. Even rented a film for 1.99 and then realised it was also on Prime straight after. Extra vigilant now if I see a cheap rental deal on there.

On 19/05/2020 at 15:13, Nick R said:

I noticed this again a couple of days ago when some seasons of Archer included with Prime turned up in my recommendations, but searching for "amazon prime archer" on Google came up with a different, purchase-only result:

That's most likely a license issue, they only have the license to stream those seasons (as its predominately a Netflix show in the uk), but can sell the whole lot, as thats different to streaming.

anyway, whoever it was that recommend "The Guest" ...this is fucking great!!!! :)  im most of the way through, great stuff, even with knock off ryan gosling in the main role lol

Just got an app update, says they’ve added a toggle to the front page to only show stuff that’s in your subscription. Thanks fuck! Took long enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Just got an app update, says they’ve added a toggle to the front page to only show stuff that’s in your subscription. Thanks fuck! Took long enough.

The one they had and then removed? (This might depend on which app)

iOS App has the option.

Top right, free to me toggle.

Not sure how long it's been on there, but just spotted The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford is on Prime. Good modern western, with some truly delicious cinematography.

• Upvote 3

Is the HD remaster of Buffy as bad as they say it is, or did they go back and fix some of the problems?

I've never seen the show and was thinking of correcting this terrible oversight. I'm guessing it's still better to watch a wonky remaster than it is to never have seen it at all?

9 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I've never seen the show and was thinking of correcting this terrible oversight. I'm guessing it's still better to watch a wonky remaster than it is to never have seen it at all?

Yes. Buffy is fucking great. Some proper feel-good TV along with some genuinely brilliant TV. :)

Been thinking of re-watching it for a while.