rllmuk
Harsin

Amazon Prime Video

On 12/01/2020 at 08:10, DirkCrisis said:

The Investigation: A Haunting in Sherwood (No good but it was shot 2 or 3 streets away from where I live).

Now that was truly awful.

Was the investigators house Edwards Lane/Claythorpe Rise? And also when he hid the phone was that the grounds around City Hospital?

1 hour ago, Fusty Gusset said:

Now that was truly awful.

Was the investigators house Edwards Lane/Claythorpe Rise? And also when he hid the phone was that the grounds around City Hospital?

I did warn you!

The house they were investigating is on Winchester Street (they briefly show the car park there) and the place where they hide the phone is the Forest Recreation Ground.

• Upvote 1

"Anti-Nowhere League - We Are the League" is now on Prime. 

Not as good as the story of Anvil but if you want a story about obnoxious dickheads in the early 80s, this has you covered.

Just watched “Dragged Across Concrete” as I noticed it on Prime.

I wish I hadn’t. I don’t know what I was expecting considering who was involved but it was just incredibly unpleasant and nasty - as well as being massively overlong.

• Downvote 1

Bridget & Eamon

Never heard of this show before happening across it this week, but it's fairly hillarious.  It's an Irish sitcom made by (or at least originally aired on) RTE and is all about an 80's catholic husband and wife (with their six to eight children) living in southern Ireland.

Certainly has plenty of laugh out loud moments, for me, due to it's over the top nature and everybodies over reaction to everything.

There are four six-episode seasons on Prime.

There are a load of decent music documentaries on Prime if you like 80s/90s metal or grunge. Some of the bands I've added over the weekend:

Mudhoney

Rammstein

Overkill

Tad

Death

The Desert metal scene (covers QOTSA/Kyuss etc)

Also, there's 3 seasons of Bananaman.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

Just watched “Dragged Across Concrete” as I noticed it on Prime.

I wish I hadn’t. I don’t know what I was expecting considering who was involved but it was just incredibly unpleasant and nasty - as well as being massively overlong.

Yeah, watched it last night. Shite. Should have had the subtitle "I'm not racist, but..."

I see Ted Bundy: Falling for a Killer, has popped on up Amazon Prime. Haven't seen any reviews of the five-part mini-series yet.

Trailer:

Synopsis for anyone wondering:

After years of silence, Ted Bundy’s long-term girlfriend Elizabeth Kendall, her daughter Molly, and other survivors come forward for the first time in a docuseries that reframes Bundy’s crimes from a female perspective. The series reveals how Bundy’s pathological hatred of women collided with the culture wars and feminist movement of the 1970s in one of the most infamous crime stories of our time.

On 26 January 2020 at 18:34, DirkCrisis said:

Also, there's 3 seasons of Bananaman.

Yeah, spotted the Bananaman. I got detention for Bananaman graffiti back in the day (in chalk; I wasn't that much of a yob), so I'm up for a bit of that.

Amazon gave added some decent new animated shows. Now have the second series of Scooby Doo Mystery Inc, several seasons of Bob's Burgers, and added another season of Teen Titans Go, since I last checked it out.

• Upvote 1

Anyone watching Hunters? I’ve watched the first episode, which at 90 minutes is as long as many whole movies, and it’s.. ok. The tone, presentation and setting reminded me of Mindhunter - it looks great, but fairly slow and meandering at times where Mindhunter was slow and intense. I’ll continue watching, it’s pretty grim at times though, given the subject matter. 

Was waiting for some more opinions as the metacritic is all over the place. Some reviews are 20% and some 80-100%. Is it good Pacino or lazy Pacino?

I love all Pacino so I’m probably not the best to comment, but it’s pretty much by the numbers so far - he’s not in it an awful lot anyway, not in ep one. 

Just been reading that Auschwitz aren't happy with it. Something about depicting fictional atrocities, such as 

Spoiler

a game of human chess where taken pieces are killed,

which come across as exploitation and fetishisation and making it easy for deniers.

That bit is proper grim, an uneasy watch for sure, it didn’t cross my mind whether or not it actually happened though as the whole thing is a bit bonkers tbh. 

Yeah that bit was jarring thought I was watching SS experiment camp or an Ilsa movie for a minute. 

Saying that though I am enjoying the programme, it's well written and acted and holding my attention. 

Anna (2019).

I was fooled into watching it by the banner ad. It's boring rather than bad, which is maybe the same thing but if you've seen Red Sparrow/Atomic Blonde/Salt then this doesn't offer anything different or better than those.

On 13/02/2020 at 20:10, grounded_dreams said:

Just been announced that season seven of Bosch will be the final one, season six launches in April this year.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bosch is really magnificently shit but intensely watchable bilge.  Great stuff.

• Empathy 1

I liked the first episode of Hunters. I could see why it could turn some people off but it I thought it was pretty well done.

On 26/01/2020 at 17:49, The Disco said:

Bridget & Eamon

Never heard of this show before happening across it this week, but it's fairly hillarious.  It's an Irish sitcom made by (or at least originally aired on) RTE and is all about an 80's catholic husband and wife (with their six to eight children) living in southern Ireland.

Certainly has plenty of laugh out loud moments, for me, due to it's over the top nature and everybodies over reaction to everything.

There are four six-episode seasons on Prime.

This program is hilarious! Cheers

On 23/02/2020 at 09:30, Stanley said:

Anyone watching Hunters? I’ve watched the first episode, which at 90 minutes is as long as many whole movies, and it’s.. ok. The tone, presentation and setting reminded me of Mindhunter - it looks great, but fairly slow and meandering at times where Mindhunter was slow and intense. I’ll continue watching, it’s pretty grim at times though, given the subject matter. 

For some reason I was expecting this to have quite a serious tone. Instead it feels like something directed by Quentin Tarrentino crossed with Douglas Sirk. 

It’s good schlocky stuff so far. 

12 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Anna (2019).

I was fooled into watching it by the banner ad. It's boring rather than bad, which is maybe the same thing but if you've seen Red Sparrow/Atomic Blonde/Salt then this doesn't offer anything different or better than those.

I really liked Atomic Blonde. Thought it was a really good, stylish film.

• Upvote 3

Yeah I'd say that the three I mentioned all have something whereas Anna doesn't, really. But if you'd never seen any of those 3 films and watched Anna, I'm sure it would probably be enjoyable. 

Anna

Spoiler

It's all very silly.  As an assassin she is immediately identifible, gets herself in situations where she reliant on her enemies having stormtrooper-esque levels of accuracy and the rolling into a bush swapsie is utterly ridiculous. It just doesn't work really. It's trying to be John Wick, Atomic Blonde, Bourne , Man from Uncle but isn't half as clever or as good as any of them.