rllmuk
Harsin

Amazon Prime Video

1 hour ago, Stejay said:

Is the series a continuation or a reboot of the story?

Neither really. Think of it as a separate story set within the same world. None of the characters from the films are in the TV show. I think there’s only two films, Anarchy and Election Year which have a recurring lead character.

The first movie is on Prime as well.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, merrychan said:

Completely agree, second series of The Purge is a really interesting take on the wider society, really good so far.

I like the little bits of world building they’re doing, things like...

Spoiler

The Purge video game booths in shopping centres, and the bereavement boxes that next of kin receive for loved ones who’ve been killed in the purge.

• Upvote 1

New James May Our Man in Japan 6 parter just gone up today.

It intentionally a little rough round the edges in places but looks great and he goes to some interesting places - I always enjoy his solo shows

• Upvote 1

I can't watch more than 30 seconds of the Japan thing without it buffering, everything else on Prime is fine. I swear they must host specific content on specific servers and it's getting hammered, so annoying! 

20 hours ago, Minion said:

I can't watch more than 30 seconds of the Japan thing without it buffering, everything else on Prime is fine. I swear they must host specific content on specific servers and it's getting hammered, so annoying! 

Didn't have any buffering issues but it judders like mad all through the episode. At first I thought it was my internet connection but playing an episode of the Grand Tour shows none of the issues at all. It also doesn't matter what format I play it in, the judder is still there.

Also trying to find the show in 4K was impossible and I had to resort to searching James UHD. I really hate Amazon Video sometimes, just wish it was like Netflix where it will stream to the best quality you can.

Also, why is their "Watch Next" list just a list of all the things I've recently watched? I've just watched it so why would I want to watch it again as my next pick? Fair enough it it was the next episode in an unfinished series, but it's not that.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Didn't have any buffering issues but it judders like mad all through the episode. At first I thought it was my internet connection but playing an episode of the Grand Tour shows none of the issues at all. It also doesn't matter what format I play it in, the judder is still there.

Also trying to find the show in 4K was impossible and I had to resort to searching James UHD. I really hate Amazon Video sometimes, just wish it was like Netflix where it will stream to the best quality you can.

Yeah I'm getting juddering too but today at least I was able to watch episode 4. James May is kind of annoying, his jokes are awful and you can tell he's spent too much time around Clarkson. He's best when he's actually engaged with something he knows about like music or motorbikes. Japan is the real star of the show here.

I watched the first episode last night and it's definetly better than the Sue Perkins on me that the BBC did. Nice that it started in a location that we don't normally see rather than going straight to Akihabara and the maid cafes. Guy Martin did one over Christmas too, that did the normal stuff until he went to Yokohama

I watched all 6 straight while incapacitated with flu and thought it got into its swing around ep3, they let his crabby nature show more and it made for a better show.

Got to some really good locations too and I found whole thing very watchable

And it's become unwatchable again, definitely on Amazon's side as I have a solid 50mbs connection and iPlayer app is fine. I doubt I'll get anywhere with support for a refund.

I get audio drop outs when I watch anything in 4K on Amazon.

Consistent one second long drops no matter what show it is. It's not like it's something that stops after a while either.

Really frustrating but apparently it's a common issue.

On 05/01/2020 at 15:58, sofasurfer said:

This fecks me off too. Noticed it when I watched The Boys. 

Just watching the 1st episode I like James may especially when he’s not just the but of clarkson and hammonds joke

anyone know the brand of jacket he’s wearing ? Quite like the look of it 

Things that are in my Prime watchlist ICYMI:

Midnight Special (never seen it but will remedy that today).

The Void (Not great but I love cosmic horror and space pyramids).

Dragged Across Concrete (Hoping for something with a little more substance than Brawl in Cellblock 99).

Hard Candy (I remember every character in this being unsympathetic for various reasons but it might be worth re-evaluating)

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (Actually Satanic}.

The Investigation: A Haunting in Sherwood (No good but it was shot 2 or 3 streets away from where I live).

Amazon don't seem to push their stuff as much as Netflix but their library has got significantly better over the last 18 months for Prime members.

• Upvote 2

Agreed. However trying to browse for good films is a right pain, for example I had no idea Killing of a Sacred Deer was on there and I was browsing just yesterday for films. 

• Upvote 1

Really enjoying the James May thing and as a fan of the Yakuza series it was great seeing him visit Osaka and it being... well, exactly as I’d expected. I kept waiting for someone to come up and try and twat him with a bicycle. 

The first episode judders like mad for me but the others have all been perfectly fine. 

Prime seem to have got rid of the "Sort by Included with Prime" option, or they have on the Virgin Media version of the app.

I tend to use the mobile app to find stuff I want to watch, you can filter on Prime only there and it’s all a lot snappier than the set-top version. 

8 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Amazon don't seem to push their stuff as much as Netflix but their library has got significantly better over the last 18 months for Prime members.

Its defineily a deeper list. I've just taken to watch listing loads of things and then scrolling through every so often see what is now randomly on Prime.

Just watched Wild Rose off the back of that. Great little film.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Minion said:

Agreed. However trying to browse for good films is a right pain, for example I had no idea Killing of a Sacred Deer was on there and I was browsing just yesterday for films. 

Yeah, it's not great for finding stuff. I recommend Justwatch. Found loads of stuff I probably never would've using their site, and you can filter by all sorts of things, genre, release date etc.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/provider/amazon-prime-video/movies

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Yeah, it's not great for finding stuff. I recommend Justwatch. Found loads of stuff I probably never would've using their site, and you can filter by all sorts of things, genre, release date etc.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/provider/amazon-prime-video/movies

Thanks that's really handy, already found a few films I wanted to see that I hadn't seen browsing the app!

• Upvote 1