rllmuk
Harsin

Amazon Prime Video

It's a replica of the original, setting sail 100 years after the original.

You won't believe what happens next.

On 14/07/2019 at 13:18, dumpster said:

Amazon Prime has Titanic 2.  I am very pleased. I used to have this on DVD and it's glorious.  Sub N64 levels of CGI, stunningly hot cast, apalling premise, it's great fun from start to finish.

Cheers, been meaning to watch that for a while!

I've also updated the "Things with faces" thread over in off topic with the Titanic 2 poster!! :lol:

39 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Cheers, been meaning to watch that for a while!

I've also updated the "Things with faces" thread over in off topic with the Titanic 2 poster!! :lol:

Haha, literally halfway through it as I saw this.  It's so baaaaad.... the green screen work is so obvious, and yet there's some underwater scenes that are pretty impressive.  It all looks so much cheaper now it's in HD too.

Did anyone else mistakenly watch Nothing Really Happens? What absolute pseudo-intellectual garbage it is. Avoid.

I noticed Dunkirk has been added. Watched it earlier but the stream was a muddy, flickering, colour banding mess. Has Prime video encoding/quality always been this shite? It's as though some of the videos they put on there are a horrible low bitrate rip of the originals.

I’m loving Prime on the back of The Boys and being halfway through Too Old To Die Young. Preacher is back soon aswell. Top tier stuff.

Christ, the Amazon iPad app is arse. It randomly drops to SD (speedtest reports my connection is more than fine and other services have no problem). I thought I'd get around it by downloading a couple of episodes of The Boys instead. One downloaded in HD, but the other would only download in SD for rewasons I catfigure out (download settings are set to best quality). It's come to the point I’m tempted to just watch episodes of The Expanse on free dodgy Russian streaming sites, just because they'll be better quality, if I'm on the go.

10 hours ago, Benny said:

I noticed Dunkirk has been added. Watched it earlier but the stream was a muddy, flickering, colour banding mess. Has Prime video encoding/quality always been this shite? It's as though some of the videos they put on there are a horrible low bitrate rip of the originals.

I don't often have problems with the video quality, beyond the time it takes to stabilise to HD resolution (which usually takes between 1 second and about a minute). The annoying thing is that they still have some films that are cropped from 2.35:1 to 16:9. I watched A Few Good Men on there last week, and it's one of those where it's in the original ratio to keep the the opening credits on screen, but then the rest of the film is cropped to fill a widescreen TV.

Presumably this is controlled not by Amazon but by whichever version the distributors send them.

Well, I've tried it now both on a wired and wireless connection, and I get 30mb normally. For an example, can someone who has Prime test this for me? If you go to Dunkirk on Prime, then go to the 44 minute mark which is a very dark scene - can you see all the flickering and artifacting in that scene? It looks really bad when blown up to 55 inches that's for sure.

2 hours ago, DC said:

I’m loving Prime on the back of The Boys and being halfway through Too Old To Die Young. Preacher is back soon aswell. Top tier stuff.

Ok, as a fan of the comics - The Boys is fantastic and does the source material justice even if it's very different. It improves on it even. Is Preacher of a similar quality? Or should I lower my expectations after watching the brilliant Boys?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Ok, as a fan of the comics - The Boys is fantastic and does the source material justice even if it's very different. It improves on it even. Is Preacher of a similar quality? Or should I lower my expectations after watching the brilliant Boys?

I’m on TPB 3 of Preacher and the show is different enough. It’s fucking superb in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Harsin said:

Christ, the Amazon iPad app is arse. It randomly drops to SD (speedtest reports my connection is more than fine and other services have no problem). I thought I'd get around it by downloading a couple of episodes of The Boys instead. One downloaded in HD, but the other would only download in SD for rewasons I catfigure out (download settings are set to best quality). It's come to the point I’m tempted to just watch episodes of The Expanse on free dodgy Russian streaming sites, just because they'll be better quality, if I'm on the go.

I watch on iPad safari and Prime looks great for me. I tried to take a screenshot but there must be some form of copy protection that stops the video from being captured. The resulting image worked really well with the show I was watching, however.

178AC605-A1CB-4431-BFB6-FF41EBD6FFB5.png

Excellent. Now if Marvel does the right thing and makes a tv show out of Ennis' Punisher Max that's just as gory and violent as the comics, we'll have a perfect Ennis tv trilogy :D

Just as I've accepted that I'll never get round to ever watching most of the things on my watchlist, and decided to cancel my Prime subscription before it auto-renews in a few days and give Netflix a try instead...

... I find that all of Bob's Burgers seasons 1-9 are now included with Prime.

Now I'm wondering if I should stay subscribed. Not for that series alone, of course, but maybe this year I'll finally watch enough on my watchlist to make it good value for money!

On 03/08/2019 at 01:29, Benny said:

Yeah, the quality is random as hell. Even stuff like Vikings is horrifically low bit-rate. The only thing I've seen on Netflix even near as bad is Haunting of Hill House. That show hits less than 1mb/sec in some episodes. Proper awful stuff.

I feared the worst when I started Black Sails, but at least that's nice and clean.