Harsin

Amazon Prime Video

Do any of the DNS services cover Amazon Prime?

Good question, I'll test this for you tomorrow morning on my US DNS configured bluray player.

Nope it does not work, I can connect to the instant video with my amazon uk logon but when I go to try & play something it does not register I have a prime account in the US.

I suppose I'll need to purchase a us prime to access the content.

Shame it does not work like Netflix, oh well worth checking.

I'm on a free 30 day trial or Prime (so I can get free speedy delivery on this years Christmas presents mainly) and yesterday watched a few films on Xbone app. Nice looking interface and great streaming (on Virgin Media 100mb), but it;s even harder than Netflix to just navigate around via genre's. I find the search function a bit clunky if you are putting in general terms.

Today though, I see that Star Fleet is available.

Yeah, so I have the bootleg Video CD versions and I watched some good, cleaned up, versions of them last year from a torrent but this is still a most welcome spot and damn worth anyone's time. The picture is great, clean and in my opinion hasn't aged a day.

Fantastic stuff.

i love Amazon, sure the interface is a bit clunky but with an ethernet stuck in my tv I'm getting instant 1080p on everything.

The originals are ok too, I've enjoyed both seasons of Alpha House, Betas was ok, first few eps of Black Sails have held my interest and the jewel in the crown is Transparent (which I tried to start a thread for but got 0 replies !).

Amazon is also the choice if you want to rent a film, they are generally speaking a quid cheaper than sky, who can't give you full 1080p

Because I was a Lovefilm member when they became part of Amazon, I currently pay £4.00 per month for Lovefilm by post, and £5.99 for Prime Instant Video - without having to pay for the annual Prime delivery subscription which I don't need.

Today I got an ominous email:

When LOVEFiLM moved to Amazon in February 2014, your billing was updated, so that you paid for your Prime Instant Video and LOVEFiLM By Post memberships separately. Since then, your LOVEFiLM By Post Price has remained unchanged. In order to continue providing a high quality service, we will be launching new plans and prices for all customers.

To minimise the impact to existing customers we are delaying the launch of new pricing until February 2016. From your February billing date, you will be charged £9.99 per month for your unlimited LOVEFiLM By Post plan, with 2 discs out at-a-time.

£9.99 per month is still, IIRC, less than Lovefilm's two-discs-at-a-time option used to cost. But I can't help but take it as another step on the way toward discouraging people from using the disc service - with the ultimate aim of phasing it out. :(

I was quoted £11.99 in the same email, also on the two disks plan. Your have the Prime discount I guess?

I'm not sure I'll go for it, it's less than the old Lovefilm packages but those included streaming. When you include the cost of a streaming sub it's much more.

Today though, I see that Star Fleet is available.

'Star Fleet, de de derrr derrrr der derrrrrr'.

I loved that as a kid. Could hardly ever find out when it was on - seemed to shift about all the time and then it just stopped.

Not a word of warning, and no-one to talk to.

Just searching and searching the sodding Radio(or TV times) for a hint....

Oh I did love it though.

I've been a lovefilm user for years, not received that email yet. I pay £2 per month currently for the one disc service.

I had no idea they even still did the DVD-by-post thing. If I want to watch a film and it isn't on Netflix or Amazon I generally torrent it, which means waiting a couple of hours. I can't imagine wanting to watch a (released) film and having to wait two days or whatever for it to arrive in the post, in 2015.

Not to mention the hassle of having to get it out of its case, put it into the DVD player, press play etc.

Is it because you don't get decent quality streaming where you live?

Disc rental is more fuss than it is worth. If something isn't on Netflix or Amazon Instant I'll see if it is available to rent from Google Play. Failing that I'll just buy it from Amazon. If it never got released on DVD in the UK or something then I'll torrent it.

I like watching the extra features you get with most movies, I tend to stick to the big budget releases & Bollywood movies with Lovefilm. Everything else Netflix/Amazon Video.

I have not torrented anything in years, most of the websites I did use are either dead or blocked by Virgin Media.

I've got a watch list across all three at the moment with 18 titles to watch so I am never short on choice.

I originally kept the disc service for films which were a visual feast, as Bluray is obviously still appreciably better than streaming, plus there is a lot more choice - films generally come quicker to disc than they do any streaming service. But I've barely used it this year and I certainly won't get £10 a month of value from it, given that I don't get £5 worth right now, so time to cancel I guess.

I had no idea they even still did the DVD-by-post thing. If I want to watch a film and it isn't on Netflix or Amazon I generally torrent it, which means waiting a couple of hours. I can't imagine wanting to watch a (released) film and having to wait two days or whatever for it to arrive in the post, in 2015.

Not to mention the hassle of having to get it out of its case, put it into the DVD player, press play etc.

Is it because you don't get decent quality streaming where you live?

It's principally because I don't want to pirate all my films, and the majority of what I watch isn't available from the streaming services. Plus there is a streaming issue, in that the Blu-rays are better quality than the streams I do get.

I got the £9.99 email too. The service is already not as good as LoveFilm's - they don't have as wide a selection of interesting new releases as LoveFilm used to, and often if a film has come put on BD it's not available for rental - and it feels like this is just another step in shunting everyone to the dismal streaming service. I'm thinking of cancelling, but obviously there's nothing else out there to replace it, and then I'd just be left with MUBI. Not a great state of affairs, and it's a little irritating to be told the 100% price rise has been applied 'in order to continue providing a high quality service'. Like, lol.

• Upvote 1

not worth starting a thread for I suspect, but I've really enjoyed both series of Mozart in the Jungle (think they're free this weekend too for non Prime members)

its quite light hearted and a bit different, and even though I'm not a fan in any way of classical music I like how its used and integrated in the show - sure if you're a purist there are multiple flaws in the portrayal of an orchestra, conductors, musicians etc but as for somebody with no background I've really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

not worth starting a thread for I suspect, but I've really enjoyed both series of Mozart in the Jungle (think they're free this weekend too for non Prime members)

its quite light hearted and a bit different, and even though I'm not a fan in any way of classical music I like how its used and integrated in the show - sure if you're a purist there are multiple flaws in the portrayal of an orchestra, conductors, musicians etc but as for somebody with no background I've really enjoyed it.

I watched it last week and really enjoyed it.

What's X Ray?

You've probably realized this by now, but for those who don't have Prime, if you pause Amazon videos, it'll list the actors currently on screen. Not sure if apps do it, but it's definitely baked into the various Kindle devices.

another 'not worth starting a thread for' but Casual is another recent addition prime original series that I've quite enjoyed. 

its in the arena of Flaked and Love (sits between the 2 quality wise for me) and is about a recently separated late 30s woman who lives with her brother and teenage daughter - its the usual semi neurotic US style self obsessed thing but is enjoyable and you can just let a couple of eps pass you by easily enough.

Well, this service is now a million times more annoying since Amazon launched their YouTube competitor and added all the shitty user created videos to the same library as Prime videos. So now when I search for Captain America I have to wade through dozens of awful toy reviews and time lapse videos of people drawing comic book characters to find the actual film.

• Upvote 1

The tumbleweed in this thread makes me thinks very few people watch amazon prime video (get same impression at work from folks who have a succession of boxes arrive at their desk but only mention Netflix shows)

There are some gems on here though, just started AMC's spiritual tech successor to Mad Men, Halt and Catch Fire. 3 eps in and really enjoying the early 80s vibe as a tech company set out to reverse engineer the IBM pc. 

On 6/9/2016 at 17:43, Scribblor said:

Well, this service is now a million times more annoying since Amazon launched their YouTube competitor and added all the shitty user created videos to the same library as Prime videos. So now when I search for Captain America I have to wade through dozens of awful toy reviews and time lapse videos of people drawing comic book characters to find the actual film.

Oh god this, I used the equivalent of the New on Netflix site and got excited when I saw a picture of Deadpool's cover art, then read the description 'Watch me draw a picture of Marvel comics' character Deadpool'. Fuck off!

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

The tumbleweed in this thread makes me thinks very few people watch amazon prime video (get same impression at work from folks who have a succession of boxes arrive at their desk but only mention Netflix shows)

There are some gems on here though, just started AMC's spiritual tech successor to Mad Men, Halt and Catch Fire. 3 eps in and really enjoying the early 80s vibe as a tech company set out to reverse engineer the IBM pc. 

I don't use it as much as Netflix, but there are a handful of brilliant shows that make it worthwhile seeing as I've got use Prime for deliveries. Halt and Catch Fire is one of my favourite shows, and it manages to do something a bit different every season. It's getting a fourth and final season next year I believe.

Mr. Robot and Black Sails are excellent too by the way.

I tend to find that Netflix is much better for TV shows but that Amazon does have a decent ish selection of movies.  In general, it is lagging behind Netflix and does need some investment. 

I much prefer Netflix.  I don't think I've watched a single film on Amazon (only had it a few months),  I see some decent films on there but all stuff I've seen.

The interface is utter shit.  And it won't default to only showing me stuff included in Prime so I have to switch every time I boot up.   I will never buy/rent/pay extra to watch anything and I hate seeing stuff that costs extra.   The joy of Netflix is I can pick anything on offer without being charged extra.

Anyway,  Goliath is good.  Watch that.