IGNORED

Cricket Thread

Don Rosco

Best England captain of my time watching cricket. Shame his back never let him have the long form career his talent deserved. Wonderful batsman and wonderful captain.

Wonder if this means Hales might get another chance? I suspect not.

Although this is meant to be a continuation of last year’s series, there’s 11 different players out there, different captains and different coaches.

Great batting from Pant, but a good burst in the morning will leave England with less than 400 to bat for.

I read they once again persisted with the ridiculous short-ball stuff at the end? Nobody has enough pace to really worry the lower order, yet still they do it. It makes even less sense in a world where these player are involved in the IPL and used to having a swing. Bizarre. 

No doubt they had to back themselves to be aggressive and stick to the plan and the areas, etc. It is baffling. I suppose ultimately they did get those wickets but at quite an impressive price, that Broad over was compelling viewing. 

Bumrah's test batting average is 6.  There was no need for a funky plan, they should have just bowled it at off stump.  He can't cope with that.

I don't think those 40 or so runs are going to be the difference though.  England are going to get the thrashing they've been nimbly avoiding all summer.  Having said that, I don't think they should change their overall approach - keep the all-out attack, just consider what all-out attack looks like in the field really.  There are different ways to attack, and bowling bouncers isn't really the most effective way of doing it, particularly to tail-enders who don't know which end of the bat to hold.

3 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Bumrah's test batting average is 6.  There was no need for a funky plan, they should have just bowled it at off stump.  He can't cope with that.

I don't think those 40 or so runs are going to be the difference though.  England are going to get the thrashing they've been nimbly avoiding all summer.  Having said that, I don't think they should change their overall approach - keep the all-out attack, just consider what all-out attack looks like in the field really.  There are different ways to attack, and bowling bouncers isn't really the most effective way of doing it, particularly to tail-enders who don't know which end of the bat to hold.

Agree with all of that. I think the days of bouncing-out the tail was over about 10 years ago, I'd love to know the average wicket of bouncers vs traditional bowling versus 9, 10 & 11 across all Test matches. 

I do think India will win this game, or be denied by the rain. I don't think that's a bad thing, a team needs to know how to lose matches. 

I don't know what Stokes is on these days though. I know he wants to embody his philosophy, but look at how Bairstow attacks with control versus walking down the pitch twice in his first 10 balls. And then playing exactly the same shot the ball after being dropped - not great cricket. 

It's even more baffling because we know he can play himself in and then attack - why not do that when things were tricky this morning? 

It's a shame he didn't get the 50 he deserved. He left the ball extremely well. I know that's a strange thing to say considering how he got out, but it's true, and there were signs of a different player to what we've seen in the last few innings. 

The ball that got him was a very good delivery. It was on that line outside off stump that he was leaving, but it jagged back a considerable amount, the perfect amount to hit the top of off stump.  If the ball hadn't been changed (to what looks like a much newer one, annoyingly) he'd still be out there.  

England are favourites according to the computer, doesn't feel like it! But yeah a long tail and India sound like they are getting a bit tired. Hopefully we can get a load in the next hour.

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

They'll need to put on 150 together. We've got a long old tail today.

They've done exactly that. Bizarre cricket, completely batshit.

I still wouldn't quite put us as favorites, but with Stokes still to come in, plus Billings and the tail, that 119 runs we still need looks possible.

I was working most of today, so held off looking all day until I could watch the highlights.

Remarkable stuff. Earlier this morning I'd chatted briefly with a colleague and agreed this one was lost - and usually I'll cling to the hope that something will happen. But India just seemed so well placed to post something we couldn't chase. But, even though they set a hefty target it felt like England knew they'd got them out more cheaply than they'd like, and that was enough to fire them up. And then the good opening partnership only made it more so. When we lost the third wicket it was a concern, but I was genuinely thinking it had turned our way.

I've got the dilemma now of whether to listen to it on TMS tomorrow as it happens, or avoid it all day and then watch the highlights not-knowing. I love a bit of TMS, but watching it unfold (even just in highlights) is a different experience altogether.