Cricket Thread

Don Rosco

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Brilliant game just finished, Alex Hales played a really calm and collected innings when wickets were regularly falling at the other end. The game turned on a dead ball incident that Stokes wanted rebowled - and it was, Hales smashed it straight to Stokes who dropped a dolly and, worse, it slipped over the boundary for six.

Great entertainment. 

Fantastic finish. Trent had no right to win that match. Rashid Khan's innings was the best part from me. He rode his luck ball after ball and tried the most audacious shots.

@ryodiI don't think it affected them mentally, it was more that the dead ball had been a single which took Hales off strike, but it was rebowled and went for six (but should've been out, it was a relatively simple catch.) 

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@ryodiI don't think it affected them mentally, it was more that the dead ball had been a single which took Hales off strike, but it was rebowled and went for six (but should've been out, it was a relatively simple catch.) 

It was the biggest fielding error I’ve seen so for. He could have thrown his cap on it. Those sixes at the end were impressive as well.

It's the kind of finish the format needs to get people rooting for the new teams. Was genuinely tense stuff and I was far more involved than I expected to be. Hales probably got a lot of satisfaction out of it too, given how Stokes is the golden boy whilst he is clearly never going to get picked for England again. 

Eh, I went and while it was a great finish, it was a very spin heavy game on a turning pitch. Watching people nurdle singles against what was very high quality spin bowling isn’t really what I think will bring in too many new fans. Hales played very well though, it never really felt like the Rockets were out of it as long as he was there.

9 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

Eh, I went and while it was a great finish, it was a very spin heavy game on a turning pitch. Watching people nurdle singles against what was very high quality spin bowling isn’t really what I think will bring in too many new fans. Hales played very well though, it never really felt like the Rockets were out of it as long as he was there.

Quite a few games have been criticised for being spin heavy and it has certainly pegged the scoring back. In that context it was a good chase. 

51 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

Yeah, but we’re all nutters watching matches on Sky. We’re predisposed to want massive shifts in the last ten balls, the occasional (but not every over) giant six, and spin bowlers laughing in the face of batsmen trying to whack it.

I mean it was fine for me as I wanted to see Brook bat and Khan bowl really. But my nephew wanted to see Root, and wanted to see him bat, not bowl 20 ball of spin. Having basically ALL the batsmen get out early to spin is quite funny, but when you promote to new fans based on England players or Australians who can’t play spin at all then they are going to be disappointed when they get out.

This hundred is alright isn't it? Seems to be genuinely quick unlike 20-20.

Badly needs some way of recording economy for the bowlers though, surely one of the most important statistics in the short form?

Yes, I'm properly hooked on the hundred. It's done something no sport has ever previously managed, which is get me to shell out £30+ for a month's NowTV sports sub. The irony is that it only did this by showing the first couple of matches, then a couple more at the weekend, on the BBC - if it had been behind the paywall from the start I'd never have seen it in the first place, but by the end of the fourth match I knew I didn't want to miss out on any more. There's a lesson there I'm sure.

More graphics love from me too - as I've watched I've realised the colour scheme has a meaning and they stick to it relentlessly. It's not just two colours to distinguish the teams. Green = runs, pink = balls. Every graphic on screen always follows the convention. There's some real thought gone into it.

On 27/07/2021 at 08:16, Sirloin said:

I mean it was fine for me as I wanted to see Brook bat and Khan bowl really. But my nephew wanted to see Root, and wanted to see him bat, not bowl 20 ball of spin. Having basically ALL the batsmen get out early to spin is quite funny, but when you promote to new fans based on England players or Australians who can’t play spin at all then they are going to be disappointed when they get out.

Suppose so - Hales and Bairstow nurdling and blocking is amusing to those of us who know they're playing against type. Tedious if you're not sitting there wondering when they're going to find their range.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

It's not just two colours to distinguish the teams. Green = runs, pink = balls. Every graphic on screen always follows the convention. There's some real thought gone into it.

That's interesting, on the big screen they just alternate using pink or green for the '4' zing animation, same for '6' apart from the Sure-sponsored ones. On the perimeter they show pink and green at the same time for 'em. I wonder if they just fluked what you said on TV or if something got diluted as it came down the chain.

I've discovered I'm getting refunded for going to Lord's on Sunday and watching a fun women's match before the washout stopped the men's game from going ahead. Result! 

@milkois that a full refund? If so, that doesn't send much of a message for the relative value of the womens' game as its saying that it was a 'freebie' rather than important in its own right. 

@Gabeapparently so, and it would not have been the case if the morning was rained off instead. By all accounts this is an oversight rather than an actual decision so it’ll probably change in future, but I don’t even need to apply for it, it will just happen. 

1 hour ago, milko said:

That's interesting, on the big screen they just alternate using pink or green for the '4' zing animation, same for '6' apart from the Sure-sponsored ones. On the perimeter they show pink and green at the same time for 'em. I wonder if they just fluked what you said on TV or if something got diluted as it came down the chain.

I'd forgotten about the splashy animated graphics! You're right, they do flash between the colours for effect. I was thinking of the more static stuff like this:

Cricket-2_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqIjSdv-kovZVe

The-Hundred-graphics.jpg

Where the colour scheme for runs & balls is also carried across to occasional pop-ups like the scorecard (which I can't find a screenshot of, but for example the dismissed players' names are crossed out in pink, their runs are in green etc.)

Having these two screenshots also shows the difference between the first innings (top) where we're counting up runs and balls from zero, until we get to 100 balls, and the second innings (bottom) where we're counting both down and it's a straight race between the teams to get their number to zero first. I just think it's really well thought out, although I can see why it might make traditionalists grumble.

Of course none of this would matter if the matches weren't entertaining but so far most of them that I've seen have been excellent.

47 minutes ago, OnionNon said:

Tonight’s Hundred match is being streamed free and live on YouTube. Didn’t realise that was a thing Sky were doing. 

Most of them have been. Between that and the BBC coverage I think there's only been a few games not available to watch live for free,

3 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Most of them have been. Between that and the BBC coverage I think there's only been a few games not available to watch live for free,

WHAAAT? I’ve subbed to NowTV for a month and I could have just watched YouTube?

Ben Stokes out indefinitely due to ongoing finger knack and mental health issues. Not surprised as the cricket schedule these days particular for England is brutal and he’s had a very hard time of it recently.

16 hours ago, Sirloin said:

Ben Stokes out indefinitely due to ongoing finger knack and mental health issues. Not surprised as the cricket schedule these days particular for England is brutal and he’s had a very hard time of it recently.

I wonder if we might never see him play for England again.  It reminds me of the situations with Trescothick and Trott.  I hope he's okay.  Cricket can be an absolutely brutal game, and this last eighteen months, with bubbles and players having to stay away from their families for so long and have to live nothing but cricket, must have been particularly difficult.

21 hours ago, Sirloin said:

What’s with all the dickheads running on the pitch this week?

There’s been another one during the men’s Invincibles Suoer Chargers game. Maybe they get wasted during the women’s game and some point during the men’s feel the need to run on the field.

On 31/07/2021 at 10:36, feltmonkey said:

I wonder if we might never see him play for England again.  It reminds me of the situations with Trescothick and Trott.  I hope he's okay.  Cricket can be an absolutely brutal game, and this last eighteen months, with bubbles and players having to stay away from their families for so long and have to live nothing but cricket, must have been particularly difficult.

It’s not going to get any better either with Australia’s stance on family travelling for the Ashes. Would be tempted to just bin it off for this year if that’s what they try to enforce. Some of these guys have been in various bubbles for 18 months now, it’s not doing anyone any good.

Yeah, we're in danger of damaging the mental health of a generation of international cricketers.  Didn't Jack Leach spend months last winter in the bubble, some of it in isolation, not playing a single match?  It's not fair to put people through that.