rllmuk
Don Rosco

Cricket Thread

Rabada was warned for doing the exact same thing at Crawley last test, so he's only got himself to blame. He's admitted that he was guilty and both he and South Africa have accepted the ruling, so it's a bit of a non-story really. 

I do wonder about the demerit system in general though. What's the point of it? This is elite sport, not a regency dance. You can bowl a ball 90mph at a guys head, but you absolutely have to be polite to him afterwards? Alan Donald would have had a dozen demerits for his famous duel with Atherton. What about Marlon Samuels' salute at Stokes? Would that be a demerit? What about the guy I used to play with who would stand at slip and fart during the bowler's bowling stride? He took a number of wickets doing that. Sorry to be crude, but one if the most extraordinary sporting achievements I ever witnessed first hand was when he started an extended solo on the butt bassoon as the bowler was running in, hitting his stride as the ball pitched and was edged by the batsman, and was still guffing the same guff as he took a one handed catch in the slips. That should be a merit rather than a demerit, surely. 

• Upvote 3

Yeah, that's the angle I was going for really. The "this shouldn't be a demerit", not particularly the "farting as a legitimate tactic", I think I need more time to process that one. 

I watched the NFL neuter celebrations with penalties a few years ago too, it's kind of weird and I only sort of get it.

Century for Pope!

Maybe we'll blame him for everything that goes wrong, like with Moeen and Pietersen. 

It's quite good at the moment though. We've unexpectedly unearthed a few players. Burns, Sibley, and Pope have all made the step up to test cricket and got their breakthrough ton. Burns and Sibley look capable of being test openers, and Pope definitely strengthens the batting line-up. He looks born to play test cricket. A Crawley hundred in the second innings or fourth test would complete the set nicely. 

19 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

We might have found a spinner too! 

Amazing what can happen if your top order actually bats out two sessions rather than throwing their wickets away and bringing your bowlers on to knacker themselves out in the final session of day one.

My reward for getting up early to watch the cricket was a brief episode of dumb batting by South Africa. Here’s hoping they do the same during the follow-on. 

They seem to have been watching the past few years of England performances. I wonder if they’ll speak of trying to bat positively and play naturally and all that, as well. 

It’s probably what they needed a lot more of over the course of two innings. It’s going to be very funny if Root gets a fifth wicket tomorrow. 

I can’t see England winning this test. They're knackered after a really difficult series with the illness and everything, and they've spent the last week patting themselves on the back for how well they've done. Everyone seems to think they've won the series already. 

Think they’ll miss Archer but I’m still reasonably confident that the SA batting will be bad enough at least. 

I love a good last wicket stand especially away from home. Its extremely annoying for the home fans. Great stuff from our tail.

If you're being harsh, you could say that the last-wicket partnership papered over a few cracks as the batting performance had been a bit sub-par before they got England up to 400, but yes it was great fun. It's always good to see Stuart Broad's batting talent make a rare reappearance. He's scored over 3200 test runs, has a hundred and several 50s to his name, and he can bat. He used to be a genuine all-rounder, really. Great to see he can still do it. 

We're making inroads into their batting now. Don't let them off the hook here and the series will be in the bag. 

So a bit of bat-swinging and Joe Root 50 sets South Africa 466 to win... You would normally bet on the draw but given how fragile their batting has been in this series the English bowlers are going to enjoy this.

1 hour ago, merman said:

So a bit of bat-swinging and Joe Root 50 sets South Africa 466 to win... You would normally bet on the draw but given how fragile their batting has been in this series the English bowlers are going to enjoy this.

you wouldn’t bet on the draw over two days at the wanderers: it’s not the end of day four...

Is anyone starting to worry that SA might do something miraculous here? 154-2 and the pitch is looking very flat. England could do with a spinner, but we've picked 5 seamers. 

was just coming to congratulate you on that! I think they were always needing a lot of weather tomorrow to get away with this one though.

On 26 January 2020 at 17:44, footle said:

you wouldn’t bet on the draw over two days at the wanderers: it’s not the end of day four...

Remember Atherton's last stand?

Anyway, wrapping up the series 3-1 is satisfying for Captain Root, and there's some good young players making progress. Hopefully Jack Leach can recover from his Crohn's flare-up and take part in the Sri Lanka series.