rllmuk
Don Rosco

Cricket Thread

Sibley has really taken his chance. It's great to see an England batsman play that sort of innings. We might have finally found an opening partnership with him and Burns. 

Don’t think we’ll lose it but the pitch doesn’t seem to be playing up as expected before the test began. Root’s bowling to get a spawny wicket when all looks lost to trigger an England-esque batting collapse. 

It's going to be a tense day tomorrow. Great to get that late breakthrough, but SA could still dig in for the draw. England have to win. 

Of all the teams who can do a proper dig in this modern era, SA are probably still high on the list. We do seem to have the right attack to give a chance though, I wonder what the pitch will do.

There does seem to be a trend, at least in Tests that I've watched recently, of pitches not deteriorating but seeming to get better as the match goes on. Is it just me or is this a thing?

5 wickets needed in a session with a quiet pitch, it does look like the draw is favourite again. Oh well. 

He got that done early in the end, no doubts needed whatsoever. I liked Crawley's catch there, that's one of the calmer expressions I've seen on somebody juggling a slip catch.

I love this photo. It's one of those ones where the poses and facial expressions make it look like a renaissance painting. Crawley gazing at the ball in awe while third slip (Bess?) strikes an imploring pose. Anderson tense to the point of alarm in the foreground. 

eb251783-f6ae-4fc0-b356-1ddc408ca28b.jpg

• Upvote 2

My two favourite stats for today:

1) If Philander finishes this test with figures of 0-24 , his test career will be 222 wickets @ 22.22.

2) 

Spoiler

The last time an English pair other than Cook-Strauss survived the first session of a Test was in 2008 (Cook and Vaughan in Wellington). Vaughan was then out 2nd ball after Lunch.

• Upvote 1

Pope and Stokes setting something good up here.

Rabada suspended from the next test. Fucking ridiculous really. I know him and Joe Root have some kind of previous, but he bowled his off stump out of the ground and then did a roaring celebration more or less right next to Root. I mean, it's a bit off? But also the kind of thing that adds a bit of needle and interest to a match, this stuff is fun! A demerit point which took him over the threshold and 15% of his match fee. Meh.

haha Stokes just put the ball quite a long way out of the ground off Maharaj, batting does seem a bit more fluent this morning. That looked quite dangerous for the nearby traffic.

Regarding Rabada, it's a shame he won't be playing in the fourth test, but he's not been banned for his celebration - he's been banned for his previous transgressions, and the aggressive celebration is the last thing that's tipped him over the edge to a ban. He got the same punishment that Buttler got for calling Philander a knobhead. 

Of course, all the media commentators are conveniently forgetting this because it's easier to create content by being outraged that someone has been banned for celebrating a wicket. 

Good session for England,  that one. We could really take the game away from them here. There's a lovely comment on the Guardian OBO about Stokes, shortly after getting his century:

My colleague Martin Rose tells me it was Stokes who encouraged Pope to review that LBW decision with only a couple of seconds remaining on the DRS timer. Stokes can do nothing wrong at the moment. If he fell into a barrel of Brexit, he’d come up clutching a united society.

Yeah I just listened to the Sky pundits spend most of the lunchbreak arguing abour Rabada. He's been a fool and no mistake, but it still doesn't really sit right with me that this one was a demerit point. Buttler was swearing on the hot mic, it's a bit different. But maybe we don't want to be encouraging the kids to celebrate too aggressively either.