rllmuk
Don Rosco

Cricket Thread

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

What the fuck is talk sport 2 and how do I find it

On a phone with TuneIn Radio?

• Upvote 1

Apparently they don't have it here in Somerset but I'm using my phone and Bluetooth.

KP is on the punditry team so I don't think I'll be able to listen long anyway. 

Fuck you BBC I miss TMS

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Apparently they don't have it here in Somerset but I'm using my phone and Bluetooth.

KP is on the punditry team so I don't think I'll be able to listen long anyway. 

Fuck you BBC I miss TMS

The BBC were outbid for all the tours I think, which since most of then aren’t during UK daytime probably wasn’t a lot of money. It’s just South Africa that’s the same time zone?

Some of us listen in bed! But yeah it's not the end of the world, but I always listen to tours of Australia, South Africa and India.

I guess now Murdoch apparently has nothing to do with sky I can pay to watch it, but I still like it on the radio.

Definitely, I saw him against India the summer before last and he's a great bowler. Didn't understand why he was sidelined so much in the ashes. He can bat a bit too. 

A couple years ago I was really worried about our bowling attack in the future but Curran and Archer are a good pair to build from. Though I'm not quite sure Archer has got the test match mindset yet.

Pretty good effort from England today on the face of it. I haven't been able to watch any of the cricket, but following the updates, it seems like we've ridden our luck to end up with nine wickets in the day. South Africa might be disappointed with themselves. It's too early to say what a good score on this pitch is, of course. You have to give credit to the bowlers who have put in a huge effort in difficult circumstances with the illness, the heat, and Ben Stokes' personal situation. 

I don't remember ever seeing a first day of a test where a wicket was taken with the first ball of the day and also the last. I'm sure the TMS stat guys would have been looking that up. 

The wheels have completely come off for England now. Captain and wicketkeeper off the field ill, nightwatchman piling on the runs, South Africa's lead rapidly approaching 250. If this was a boxing match the referee would have stopped it. 

I imagine Pope will come back in for Bairstow, unless Bairstow scores a hundred in the second innings. I'm not sure there's much call for sweeping changes as you have to factor in the circumstances of everyone being ill. You could see by the way they dragged themselves off at the end of the first day how the whole team was suffering.

There's simply no way to fix the batting. Our batsmen aren't particularly good, but we don't have anyone better to come in. The talent pool is quite shallow at the moment. 

Much better showing from England with the bat this afternoon. They'll be 150-7 before lunch tomorrow, but they've shown some fight today. 

So pleased for Burns, missed all the cricket but it sounds like good knock. 

How much can we read into this though given the flu situation? I'll be gutted to see Bairstow go, it's a funny game cricket where your own bias is really hard to avoid. I saw him get 70 odd runs in Old Trafford against SA a couple summers ago and the thought of dropping someone who can bat like that seems madness to me. But then he's not batting like that at the moment. 

Well given they were shit in New Zealand as well I don’t think the illness has had much impact. Bairstow is averaging 12 against balls that would go on to hit the stumps over the last couple of years. That can’t continue and he needs to go away and work on that. Pope should not have been dropped. We can’t keep picking people on reputation and not performances.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Sirloin said:

Well given they were shit in New Zealand as well I don’t think the illness has had much impact. Bairstow is averaging 12 against balls that would go on to hit the stumps over the last couple of years. That can’t continue and he needs to go away and work on that. Pope should not have been dropped. We can’t keep picking people on reputation and not performances.

isn’t pope ill?

Yeah seems so. But he should be back in for the next Test, and I think they might have to make some changes in the bowling lineup as well.

The only thing stopping Pope coming back into the team would surely be a Bairstow hundred here. Even then maybe he'd come in for Buttler, so I suppose a match-winning partnership between Bairstow and Buttler. 

By the way, I reckon we need to get to with a hundred without losing anymore wickets before we can start wondering if this run chase is on. 

Oh Jonny. Still I think this is going better than I thought it might and I've stuck on talk sport.

They made a decent attempt at the chase, but as pointed out on the BBC page, the telling statistic is that the margin of victory was 107, and South Africa's first innings lead was 104.

It’s just so frustrating as they clearly have the talent to be amongst the best Test team in the world, but time and again it’s just piss poor application. Bairstow should be nailed on in the side in all formats, but there is just something not right there at the moment. Dropping him to domestic cricket might not sort it out as his CC average is very good. I think they need to look at the captaincy as tactically they are inept, and also look at giving some of these more senior players a long rest making it clear that it’s not an excuse for them to get T20 contracts in the meantime.

• Upvote 1

Burns is out for the rest of the series, having injured himself playing football. The test side of things looks incredibly amateurish when compared with the limited overs set-up. 

I wonder if this will finally spell the end for the pre-match footy, it's not even the first time somebody's done themselves in but maybe the worst yet. 

Pope getting completely Buttlered by the tail here. Would have got a century if Woakes was in the side.

And another very good day for England. Real grinding test batting from Sibley in particular, but until those two wickets at the end it couldn't really have gone any better. Those wickets do change things slightly, when you take into consideration the fact that the new ball will be due early tomorrow morning.

Another hundred runs would surely put England completely out of sight though, and they may well already have enough to win the match.