rllmuk
Don Rosco

Cricket Thread

@SirloinYou were there? I was in work, and surreptitiously following the BBC text updates, and it sounded like a pretty farcical day's cricket.

There was one beautiful update that was describing the bails blowing off, being replaced, and blowing off again, and ended with the phrase, "we intentionally choose to watch this sport." 

Smith has just gone to another hundred. What a player he is. 

@SharkyOB I thought the forecast was alright, or is that just for the weekend? Have fun, anyway.

Yeah, Smith. Dagnabbit. If we don't at least rip through the rest of them soon this is going to get dangerous.

The wheels have well and truly  come off for England.  They've come off, burst into flames, and are rolling into a firework factory.  Something spectacularly horrible could be about to happen.

We're gonna have to bat a lot better than we're - well, speaking honestly - capable of doing. Oh dear oh dear. All that effort from Stokes and Leach at Headingley just to be right back against the 8-ball already? It's a very England way to do things, certainly.

Smith is really good but why are we making him look like Don Bradman this series? Missing Jimmy, missing variety in our bowling ?

Am I underestimating this Aussie team ? I'm still not convinced they are that great other than Smith.

Australia are about to unleash Mitchell Starc, bristling from being left out of the first three tests, on our hapless batsmen. This is going to be over by Saturday lunchtime. 

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Smith is really good but why are we making him look like Don Bradman this series? Missing Jimmy, missing variety in our bowling ?

Am I underestimating this Aussie team ? I'm still not convinced they are that great other than Smith.

Its not particularly new, we miss having bowlers who can bowl dry with a consistent 4/5th stump line when the wickets aren’t tumbling, they all seem to try very hard to find the wicket which can lead to leaking many runs. 
I think the more urgent problem just now is batting, but this does need solving and Jimmmy’s impending retirement won’t help. 

I think this is a really good pitch, England should get a good score and give Smith's innings a bit more context. I actually thought we bowled well, we just didn't take those chances. At least we bowled well in spells, for example after lunch. 

It seems there's an issue with morale in the field when we're facing Smith. I feel the England team have created a monster as it were. 

Imagine if we patiently and sensibly bat out a draw and then go win in Oval. hahaha!

Meanwhile elsewhere Malinga just did very mean things to NZ in a T20 game, 4 wickets in 4 balls and 5 in less than 3 overs.

I mean it’s a bit harsh when they came off like 2 overs later, but they’ve rejigged the team for him and thrown Denly under a bus, so it’s very frustrating.

Always quite sad to see a batsman get a pair. :lol:

Now we've avoided the follow-on, unless we somehow bowl them out in a session, the focus is surely on taking as much time out of the game as possible. Australia will want two things - to get the lead up to 400, and to give themselves at least a day to bowl England out. There are new laws where a slow over rate means you get docked points in the test championship, I think. If that is right, at some point we will have to consider what's more important - that or the Ashes. If we can bowl one over an hour that would be perfect. 

As fun as it was, I'm not sure that bit of carnage helped England all that much. It makes it slightly harder for Australia to swing the bat and score quickly, but it increases the chances of England losing when you consider that barring another miracle, Australia already have enough runs. 

Yeah even I have abandoned hope. Hopefully they'll have some fun and give the fans something to cheer other than Lyon's catches and inflatable watermelons.

Oh and Lyon failing to get a wicket will please me.