rllmuk
Don Rosco

Cricket Thread

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

That is the greatest innings I've ever seen. It's arguably the greatest in the history of English cricket. 

Has to sit right up there with Pietersen at the Oval and Botham at Headingley. It wasn’t just the hitting, it was the discipline to come out and hit two off fifty last night, and the marshalling of the tail.

• Upvote 1

Lovely to hear Glenn McGrath (who has turned out to be surprisingly likeable this summer) listing the missed chances for Australia in the last few overs. That botched run-out followed by the plumb LBW given not out, after they had burned their review. Unbelievable. 

1 minute ago, Sirloin said:

Has to sit right up there with Pietersen at the Oval and Botham at Headingley. It wasn’t just the hitting, it was the discipline to come out and hit two off fifty last night, and the marshalling of the tail.

I reckon it beats them both. Neither had quite as much on the line. Neither had to find a way to score 70 with a number 11 against the best bowling attack in the world. 

1 minute ago, SharkyOB said:

So amazing, feel a bit sick now though :lol:

Yes that was equal parts terrifying and amazing to watch.

• Upvote 1

Tell you what though, you can tell how much that chase was informed by Stokes’ short form experience after a week of bemoaning it’s impact on the long form.

Anyway, commence the ignoring of long standing issues thanks to something very unlikely happening!

• Upvote 6

Great supporting roles played by Jack Leach obviously, but also Nathan Lyon for dropping the ball, Joel Wilson for making that terrible LBW not out decision, and @Sirloin for not posting anything optimistic during the innings itself and getting someone out. You showed great restraint, mate. 

• Upvote 5

On 24/08/2019 at 13:25, feltmonkey said:

It's going to need someone to do something like that. Come on lads, winning from here would be one for the ages, and it's not as impossible as it seems. Someone could write themselves into Ashes history. 

Of course we'll probably be bowled out for under 50.

Heheh. Well, I was right on the first half of the post. 

Pretty sure watching that caused most of my internal organs to rupture. Absolute insanity.

Wonder how much wind that’ll take out of the Aussie’s sails moving forwards.

• Upvote 1

Watched on the iPad in Sweden, went up to the rooftop pool, met a Brit and the first question was... did you watch the cricket?

• Upvote 1

I’m on holiday in Croatia at the moment. Go out for a family visit to Porec on the hottest day so far. Kept checking the BBC feed and when we went down to 9, I forgot about the game. 

In part this is because my son had just picked up a wooden bottle opener shaped like a large penis, uttering ‘is this a dildo?” Not sure I knew that word at 9. Then my other son threw up. 

Get back to the hotel. Quick check of the score - 12 to win. Watched the ensuing madness on my phone whilst going ballistic on the balcony. Totally oblivious to the German couple staring at me when I went bananas at the end. 

Brits abroad, eh. Just an amazing end. Arise Sir Ben. 

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Great supporting roles played by Jack Leach obviously, but also Nathan Lyon for dropping the ball, Joel Wilson for making that terrible LBW not out decision, and @Sirloin for not posting anything optimistic during the innings itself and getting someone out. You showed great restraint, mate. 

I actually stopped myself from posting about three times. I was considering posting about them having no chance, but I thought my powers might see through the lies and take two wickets for my impertinence.

• Upvote 3