rllmuk
Don Rosco

Cricket Thread

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

A contender for the best ODI of all time 

A contender for best match of anything of all time I think. And I was an Arsenal fan when we beat Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield in 89.

• Upvote 3

Absolutely gutted for New Zealand. Fine margins cost them here with the fielder stepping onto the boundary so it was a six instead of a wicket and then the deflection off the bat for a six. Great advert for cricket though which is at least partly returning to free to air next year

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I'm amazed at the optimism here. We are fucked, completely and utterly fucked. We won't get to 150, never mind 242. There is absolutely no chance we are winning this. 

11 minutes ago, AI1 said:

:lol:

I'm taking full credit. :P

• Upvote 8

Jesus.  What a nerve-wracking match.

Surely no other sport can cause such prolonged anxiety.  I was tense all through the England innings.

6 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I'm taking full credit. :P

You were pretty bang on! England were incredibly lucky. The Boult catch, the overthrows. Either one of them is unlikely, both together is ludicrous. They fucked that chase. Even when Stokes and Buttler were in they were letting the run rate slip.

• Upvote 2

If I were Kane Williamson I would be going mental and swearing at everyone. Don’t think anyone would begrudge him calling everyone spawny twats.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sirloin said:

If I were Kane Williamson I would be going mental and swearing at everyone. Don’t think anyone would begrudge him calling everyone spawny twats.

Eoin Morgan gets Irish points if he admits they were spawny twats...

3 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I'm amazed at the optimism here. We are fucked, completely and utterly fucked. We won't get to 150, never mind 242. There is absolutely no chance we are winning this. 

Posts that aged poorly #3820, etc

Amazing stuff but man, I feel so sorry for the Kiwis. Talk about as close as it could possibly get. And that 'six' in the last proper over was some freaky arcane magic shit.

• Upvote 2

Posts that aged poorly? I give you this bitter post from cricinfo from halfway through the NZ innings:

uvadip : "I know you can't publish this but I must say, what a pale end to this exciting WC. This is not a thrilling contest by any means. Two teams having best points till semis should qualify for finals." -- This isn't dissimilar to how New Zealand's innings went against India, and we know how thrilling that game got towards its finish. And not sure why I can't publish it?

• Upvote 2

Unbelievable, ridiculous, nerveshredding, incredibly unfair.

Proof positive that the best two teams were in the final, sod the Aussies n Indians who thought it was their automatic right to contest the final.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Winning by a foot or so... unbelievable. 

I can't think of a sporting occasion that has been that close before. 

As he was run out I thought immediately of Hamilton’s first title, slightly longer margin but higher speed and felt like the same rollercoaster of its probably gone to winning it :wub:

What a day of sport!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sirloin said:

You were pretty bang on! England were incredibly lucky. The Boult catch, the overthrows. Either one of them is unlikely, both together is ludicrous. They fucked that chase. Even when Stokes and Buttler were in they were letting the run rate slip.

How much money did you lose?

• Upvote 1

Can’t believe that match. I was up for NZ as my default “anyone but the big three” support, but I’m still kind of glad England & Eoin Morgan won especially as it was shown on terrestrial tv. 

Bayliss must be so fucking relieved right now. He had one job, and he’s done it.