Don Rosco

Cricket Thread

One more wicket for Anderson today and he goes past McGrath as the seamer with the most test wickets. Broad’s not far behind.

All these records being broken (and Cook retiring) feels a bit like the tail end of an era, here, although hopefully Anderson and Broad have at least one more Ashes in them.

If they do, it's one more brilliant story from the series. Imagine that, after Kohli's golden duck!

I doubt it though, one wicket and it's been a rather feeble tail from them so far. 

Finally, wonderful Test all round really. Great summer, two competitive series, some very exciting Tests. Bit too skewed in the favour of the ball at times, but made for very close contests.

• Upvote 4

Ah man, Anderson getting the [fast bowler's all time wicket-taking] record and winning the match in one delivery. Like some kind of schmaltzy script, this last match! Good on India for making a fight of what everyone thought would be a short bit of work. Amazing series that could've been 3-1 to India fairly easily I reckon, really close at times.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, terrific series and the 4-1 scoreline very flattering for England. At least two of those wins were up for grabs for India. 

You'd have to wonder about the batting though. Gritty test match batting skills in short supply on both teams. Some flashes of excellence throughout, but you can’t help thinking a lot of batsmen on both sides will be relieved to face a white ball again. 

It was not a summer for openers. That’s the only reason I can see for cutting both sides opening pairs some slack. Jennings was poor, Cook (last Test aside) was alright, Dhawan was just bad and Rahul didn’t show what he could do until the last innings. I think the only argument for keeping Jennings is that Sri Lanka should be easier to open in. God knows who to put with him, weight of runs says that Burns has earned his chance, but Vince has been in decent form most of the summer as well and should have played in front of Pope last Test. Gubbins and Denly the other names I keep hearing, or one of the old guard like Hildreth or Mitchell. England also need to sort out what to do with number 3 as they can’t keep shoehorning in allrounders there. So that’s the top three places that need replacing and too many biffers to fit too few places in the lower order. Buttler up to number 3? Curran to replace Broad to give him a rest and everyone moves down a slot? Think they will take Stone to SL after the summer he’s had, and Leach as a second offie.

For India they need to find an all rounder that’s more of a batsman, as Pandya ain’t good enough. They would have been better off playing an extra bat like Sharma.

The last test was pure fairytale stuff, with Cook's century and Anderson breaking the record by taking the last wicket to win the match. Middle stump out the ground as well.

4-1 doesn't reflect how close the series was, or how good it was, with so many ebbs and flows, and changes of momentum.  If Curran hadn't played those two incredible innings to rescue England, India would have probably won the series 3-2. 

I don't know who should open for England in Sri Lanka. Whoever you get, they're not going to be able to replace Cook. I think it might be a difficult few years for the England test team. When Anderson retires, they'll be trying to replace probably the two greatest English cricketers of all time. 

• Upvote 1