Don Rosco

Cricket Thread

It was only 42 days last time, and only because they played one game per day in the groups. Play two a day and it could be much shorter. Or have four groups of four instead of two pools for quarters qualification.

42 days is still six weeks, which is probably a bit too long for an international tournament.  Playing two games a day would help, but there's an old-fashioned attitude to the TV coverage where they don't want to have two games going on at once and split the TV audience.  

Actually, as further evidence that I am getting old, the World Cup I was thinking of that was a shambles was 2007, where for some reason they had two group stages.  I thought it was more recent than that.  I tend to think everything was more recent than it actually was these days.  :(

Some more of the smaller nations should definitely be there in my opinion, but I was making the point that it's not as straightforward as just having everyone in there.  Just having the established teams playing each other isn't hugely interesting, but a tournament that doesn't feature a genuinely significant game until it's third or fourth week isn't ideal either.  There needs to be a balance, as I said.  They've tipped the balance much too far away from the smaller teams for this one, I agree.

It’s set like it is because India got knocked out in the groups in the West Indies World Cup and the commercial revenue went down about 30% from then on. There’s more money about the game now so they are so dependent on the World Cup revenue so they should look to expand it. They should have more games against associates as well as it’s the only way they will get better.

Scotland will have to chase very well to get anywhere near what Pakistan have just posted though.

This is clearly cursing of the highest order, but England could get a score starting with 5 here.

EDIT: even the act of typing that out caused a wicket.

1 hour ago, Sirloin said:

This is like clubbing a baby seal.

Oh, you were talking about the England top order?

Almost mocking the Australians by giving them a glimpse and then shutting the door in their face. That over to Ball was so tense.

Buttler has been immense this summer, he has really matured a lot in the last year or so as that innings today, was just complete controlled class from start to finish.

Test and series, really looking forward to it. Although work is gonna stop me seeing much of the first game(s) I fear.

Quite a delicate situation now. Curren has rescued the game for England, and now you feel that if they can get Kholi early they might be favourites. Of course, getting Kholi out is easier said than done.

Well I got lucky with the cricket I saw! Incredible. Perfectly balanced really, these first few overs are huge for the whole series. I love test cricket.

Fantastic win for England. Stokes was tremendous today. 

Stokes has looked a genuine top class bowler in this match, rather than a spare sealer for inbetween the proper bowlers. Curran could be a find, or could be the latest in a string of seamers who do well in English conditions and come unstuck overseas with that shitty kookaburra ball. Time will tell.