rllmuk
Don Rosco

Cricket Thread - The Ashes

That's a fantastic bowling and fielding performance. The only blot was the number of wides. It's surely England's to lose now. 

So England's innings is a terrifying prospect to watch then. 

Roy looks like his philosophy is to swing the bat in order to get as many as he can before the one with his name on gets him. I'm not convinced that's quite the right idea. He should be seeing out this spell in order to build later. 

You can understand why he's rattled though. New Zealand have come out very hard, bowling really well. England could be four down by now easily. 

On the plus side if we win it from here it’ll be really good fun.

On the negative side, we’re not winning it from here. 

No, but England are looking very nervy. Root seemed to lose his head totally. Need Stokes to be Root and Morgan to keep it ticking over.

The commentators keep saying the run rate isn’t a factor yet. In the context of this being a final and New Zealand’s standard of bowling, I’d say it is.

We're bottling it completely. Everyone is panicking, they're seeing demons in the pitch. Once it goes this way it is almost impossible to turn it around. 

It's a completely different level obviously, but I recognise the mindset from the many abject collapses I've been involved in and contributed to in club cricket. You just start to think, this is happening and there's nothing we can do about it. 

2 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

The commentators keep saying the run rate isn’t a factor yet. In the context of this being a final and New Zealand’s standard of bowling, I’d say it is.

It’s been a factor ever since we had that run of 3 maiden overs, it was slow before that but it became static for much too long during and after that. 

I feel that typing that has become  a lot less relevant suddenly. This is rapidly nudging towards more likely to be embarrassing rather than possible.