rllmuk
Don Rosco

Cricket Thread - The Ashes

Yeah, can't even lose properly! Heh, no it is nice to hear (I can only listen to TMS live). I fear it'll only take one wicket or maybe two to grind things to a halt but especially its nice to see Morgan batting well again.

That was pretty special from Hales there. I thought we were boned when Lumb and Ali were out first over as Hales and Morgan have looked shite in recent games, but they both played fantastically. Those three 6s in the last couple of overs from Hales were so cleanly struck. And Bopara's two dabs to the Malinga yorkers were lovely as well. Fantastic batting performance after a not great fielding performance.

Meh, and that's England out, came down to that rain shortened game against NZ really. Batted reasonably well, bowled reasonably poorly. I can understand why they persist when Dernbach, but he's cost us the game today with that awful over, and while he does provide variation, he just isn't a death bowler. Or, more accurately, he's a death bowler against county teams, but not against de Villiers and such.

South Africa did well to strangle the boundaries and took wickets at good times. It's a shame that the New Zealand match was decided in the way it was, though, because it'll leave a bit of a what-if.

To be fair though I think we would have lost to whoever comes out of the other group in the semis.

Oh, we ended up only being 4 short, shame, still another good effort. Like you say Gabe, strangled too much in the middle overs. They needed someone to stay with Bopara a bit longer.

4 runs short is actually a fine effort, considering we went a while without any boundaries.

Whilst I don't think we would have been good enough to win it, the beauty of the format is that is probably throws-up more shocks than the longer formats of the game and so you never know what might have been.

As for Dernbach, I know he has won a lot of caps on the strength of his ability to bowl variations, but I don't think he's good enough for the international arena.

Yeah, Netherlands tried their utmost best to not score runs earlier. It was quite painful to watch as they repeatedly wasted substandard deliveries trying to reverse sweep it. They've got England on the back foot for now though, but it's hardly backs against the wall time yet. It's a low total, and one that England really should be able to chase down, 8-9 an over is still quite doable, especially with such tiny boundaries.

Edit: 42-5 now. England are looking totally hopeless right now. Some good variation from the Dutch is constantly building pressure which in turn is leading to some pretty poor shot selection. Bopara needs to step up now.

Edit 2: 52-6! Amazing.

Yup, yup. Brave defeat to the saffers and I don't think we'd have beat the Kiwis even if DL hadn't come into play. Amazing stuff! Not really sure how the batting against Sri Lanka even happened, quite a departure from the norm.

Well the Dutch clearly had the best ethics and professionalism on the day, as we all know that's what wins cricket matches rather than talent.

Anyway, good start for NZ in the other game, but Jayawardene still there.

Them Dutchmen sure did bowl some good areas and platitude empty corporate phrase buzzword their way to a good win.

I wonder if there's a silver lining of the performance being so bad that a proper rethink of the plan will happen. Last time it did we were getting hammered by the Windies and the turnaround was pretty magnificent. But maybe they'll forget the Australia debacle, say that T20 is essentially random but not the bit where we chased 190 v Sri Lanka and on with the show. I bet.

New Zealand are imploding as well. Herath has taken them apart. 3 overs, 2 maidens, 2 runs, 4 wickets. Fantastic.

EDIT: He finished on 3.3 overs, 2 maidens, 3 runs, 5 wickets. New Zealand were 60 all out.