rllmuk
Don Rosco

Cricket Thread - England ICC Final Sunday Channel 4

Have never really been a fan of cricket. But me and the wife was glued to the last 3 overs then the super over. Does not get any better than this . 

Love it when it's down to the wire. Do feel lady luck was with the English team a tad.

Good move to show it for free. Loved the shoots from Trafalgar Square. This and the men's final at Wimbledon made a top day for me.

Was utterly insane. England had a bit of luck but they never gave up and put themselves in a position where a little luck could be capitalised on. NZ have participated in a final that maybe could never be matched for drama but it must be awful to have it in the bag then lose it from a weird event. 

Every so often I stare out of the window and wonder what Santner feels today after he ducked under the final ball of the NZ innings and didn’t even try to hit it.

• Upvote 2

So many what ifs! I'm such an emotional mess I can't even begin to imagine how kiwi fans are. I've known a few in my life and I've not met many more fanatical lovers of the game.

I'd given up at the start of the 50th over because I didn't want to cry so went in the garden with the radio, then that six happened and I ran back inside to see that crazy over throw.

Lots of my cricket loving friends also missed it for similar reasons, one of my friends gave up when buttler got out!

Not even thought about what a great world cup it was, and the best team won. Brilliant.

haha. 

Actually from what I've seen online, by far the most saltiness seems to be coming from Australians rather than Kiwis. Weird! Ashes gonna be fun. NZ by contrast seem to be quite accepting of their poor luck.

I don't think any England fan would argue with that though. So many tiny things went our way in that innings. The "six" is just one of the many flukey moments. There was Boult standing on the boundary line, Roy surviving that LBW shout, about a dozen inside edges past the stumps, countless plays and misses, all sorts. Alongside that were moments of sheer brilliance. Stokes' mental toughness, Buttler's innings full of genius (that ramp shot!) Archer's bowling in the super over where he got creamed for six and then came back to nail four perfect deliveries, That diving stop on the boundary by Bairstow that saved one run...

You just can't quibble over it (unless you're a bitter husk of an Australian it seems) or think about what ifs. If that six had been a five maybe Stokes would have swung harder at the final ball and edged it for four and we wouldn't have had the super over. Who knows? 

I'm just happy I witnessed such a match. I'm also a bit sad that even with the memories, even if they release a Blu-Ray of the match or something, we can never watch it for the first time again. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah, Taylor getting given LBW when it was going over as well.. there's loads of fine margin things, just like most matches except this particular one seemed to have almost all of them in it. We can't know what would've happened if any of them had gone differently.

Still, I bet the 'most boundaries' fallback will be ditched by next tournament (world t20 is it?). Maybe they'll just keep Super Overing until someone gives up. It could be like penalty shootouts that go on for ages, limit every player to one attempt each bowling/batting so you end up with fast bowlers facing the openers dibbly dobbers.

The question is @feltmonkey, has this cured your pessimism?

What a world cup, thank God the ashes is so soon. 

Roy must open? I did not like the way he protested about his wicket though. Hope someone had a word. I hope Ali is back. Psychologically it'll be fascinating. We know the Aussies will give it their all and Smith likes all the attention I think, and he has a lot to prove. England tend not to choke these days even when favourites though, but I still think it'll be close.

1 hour ago, milko said:

haha. 

Actually from what I've seen online, by far the most saltiness seems to be coming from Australians rather than Kiwis. Weird! Ashes gonna be fun. NZ by contrast seem to be quite accepting of their poor luck.

Aye, Kiwis are sound (except when they lose at rugby union)

Poor Jimmy :(

• Upvote 4